Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon rim noise

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon rim noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 10:58 PM
crewdoglm

Bikes: De Rosa Idol, Felt TK-2, Pinarello Paris, Williams Gemini alloy, Basso Astra, Basso Laguna, Bottecchia Leggendaria, Cinelli SSCX, Argon 18 Electron track, 60-70 wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon rim noise

Just set up a CX bike with Avid Shorty Ultimate brakes. I installed the new Swiss Stop (Black Prince) carbon pad. A train wreck probably makes less noise. Any experience with this? I do not have toe-in washers on there. Is there a different pad that is quieter or are these brakes just noise makers? Go.
Old 09-17-13, 11:03 PM
Nagrom_ 
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Toe in your pads.
Old 09-17-13, 11:04 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Liked 935 Times in 282 Posts
I use their yellow pads without a problem. Didn't know they had black ones...
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 09-17-13, 11:11 PM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on pad alignment.
Old 09-17-13, 11:13 PM
crewdoglm

Bikes: De Rosa Idol, Felt TK-2, Pinarello Paris, Williams Gemini alloy, Basso Astra, Basso Laguna, Bottecchia Leggendaria, Cinelli SSCX, Argon 18 Electron track, 60-70 wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_
Toe in your pads.
OK. In the old days you took a crescent wrench and BENT the brake arm to get toe in. Are we still in the dark ages there?
Old 09-17-13, 11:22 PM
Nagrom_ 
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by crewdoglm
OK. In the old days you took a crescent wrench and BENT the brake arm to get toe in. Are we still in the dark ages there?
Not if your brake shoes have dome washers.
Old 09-17-13, 11:28 PM
crewdoglm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_
Not if your brake shoes have dome washers.
Not sure your meaning. There are washers on there in the shape of a "dome" but of course they are symmetrical. In order to achieve toe-in you would need a beveled washer to angle the pad forward at the point of contact. Is that what you mean?
Old 09-18-13, 05:17 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
OP you set the pads about the right distance from the rims and parallel to them. Then you loosen the pad fixing boltss and squueze just the fronts of the pads with your fingers so they touch the rim. Retighten the bolts. Then open the calipers so the pad fronts only are the right distance from the rims. Voila, toed in pads.

BRW I am riding Black Princes on carbon rims perfectly parllel, no toe in, no noise whatsoever. Hard to explain the difference in our experiences.
Old 09-18-13, 09:05 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Liked 180 Times in 111 Posts
I run BP's and they wear so fast that toe in would be gone in no time. No noise. BTW I love these pads.
Old 09-18-13, 10:39 AM
crewdoglm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I wasn't believing it but there IS a tiny bit of angular pad adjustment on these Avids and for the moment the noise is abated. We'll see how fast they wear. It would be a fundamentally better design to just use thin wedge-shaped washers with very slight amount of taper. That would eliminate fiddling and ensure the toe-in was symmetrical. I have none of this nonsense on my road rig with Shimano. Thanks.
Old 09-18-13, 11:21 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 893 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
OP you set the pads about the right distance from the rims and parallel to them. Then you loosen the pad fixing boltss and squueze just the fronts of the pads with your fingers so they touch the rim. Retighten the bolts. Then open the calipers so the pad fronts only are the right distance from the rims. Voila, toed in pads.

BRW I am riding Black Princes on carbon rims perfectly parllel, no toe in, no noise whatsoever. Hard to explain the difference in our experiences.
Another way to do it is put a dime between the back of the brake pad and the rim, squeeze brake, tighten
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.