Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Old 01-01-19, 09:46 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back, I've had a love hate relationship with cycling. Rode as a kid, and some as a teen with a Sears Free Spirit ten speed through my early 20s... Was in the Navy, got married and missed my bicycle... The Navy was kind enough to send me to Hawaii, and I fell in Love with cycling again.. Five years... Then back to San Diego, rode some, took a bike on the carrier I was on. Rode in Singapore, Australia, Acapulco and got the crap scared out of me in the 15 minutes I tried riding in Hong Kong... Rode less and less. Transferred to the middle of nowhere, met a RAM winner, got a little reinvigorated, but fell away again. Retired from the Navy, weight started creeping up. Fast forward a few years, moved to Utah, had my left knee replaced, and used the bike to recover. And tried to lose some weight. Nine months later, doing good, I crashed badly, broke my back and had fusion surgery. Long recovery. I am LUCKY to be walking. TERRIFIED of hills now. Lost some weight, not a suggested weight loss program though! But, the weight crept back on as I did not feel "sturdy" enough to exercise. Took three years to get back on a bike. A kid I got into cycling in Hawaii sent me a 29er... Of course, I rode it. Not much. But enough for a while. Fixed the bike I crashed on, Rode it a bit, put it on my trainer. Then my right knee started failing, and my right ankle developed a heel spur, I couldn't even ride the bike, the heel spur was bad. 2 years ago had it cut down, but,it had been cutting my achilles tendon, So that was repaired at the same time. Then of course, I sprained my other ankle. Packed on pounds.

Nothing I tried to lose weight worked. Every time I tried to get on the bike, I had an injury. Not bike related. Last year I decided I needed to do something drastic. I looked into weight loss surgery. Then my world fell apart. Dad had cancer, and he passed in a couple months I couldn't get my head together. My weight went up. Finally got my head straight. But I was 378 pounds. I tried getting on the bike on the trainer. But felt too top heavy and afraid I would fall. I was approved for surgery, and took all the classes required, the sleep study, proved I had SEVERE obstructive sleep apnea. Then, the cardiologist scared the crap out of me. Retaining fluid, hard to breathe, swelling in my lower legs... High resting heart rate and high blood pressure. At least I didn't have diabetes. But was in danger... I was prescribed cardiac rehab gym. Oct 22, 2018 I had the gastric sleeve. I had lost 22 pounds before surgery. I've lost 64 since then.

I've got my original bike on the trainer. A 1986 KHS Fiero. Three years ago, I put newer stuff on it. Updated it. Still fine tuning it, But getting back on it a bit most days. Hitting the cardiac gym once week, and the regular gym at least twice a week..I am down 86 pounds since my heaviest. No real goal other than being healthier and more fit. again. Hi. I'm Roger, and I'm trying to be a cyclist again.
Old 02-09-19, 08:08 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been on the Bike Forums but for a little while, but I'm new to the Clydesdale forum. My name, obviously, is Garrett.

In short, I'm 320-330 pounds (I don't currently own a scale, but I've been staying within that range for a while now.) I am 5'11" and 19 years old. Heart problems run in my family (both on my paternal and maternal sides) and family members/close friends have been trying to get me to exercise more.

I've been riding a bike for most of my life, although there was a time where I quit after I got my drivers license. Before then, I rode either my 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle 12-speed or Huffy Superia around town to get out or go visit a friend, etc. Since I lived in a town that the Katy Trail ran right through, I often would get on it and ride for a few hours. There was a time where I was riding a bike every day for at least a couple hours, depending on the weather.

One of the biggest issues I have is - and I hate publicly saying this out of fear of humiliating myself - but I don't eat vegetables or fruits. Like a stubborn little kid, I hate them - I'm a very picky eater. I never eat them, which has made my goal of loosing weight somewhat more difficult.

Recently, I'm hoping to get back into shape and "hop back onto the bike." I recently purchased a 2016 Giant Sedona and have been trying to ride even in the winter (I've been posting somewhat frequently on a topic I started in the winter biking forums here.) Unfortunately, it's been so nasty and icy lately here that I have rarely had a chance to hop on the bike for a spin lately.

My goal is to get from 320 pounds to 250 pounds or below.
Old 02-10-19, 10:17 PM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fullergarrett View Post
I've been on the Bike Forums but for a little while, but I'm new to the Clydesdale forum. My name, obviously, is Garrett.

In short, I'm 320-330 pounds (I don't currently own a scale, but I've been staying within that range for a while now.) I am 5'11" and 19 years old. Heart problems run in my family (both on my paternal and maternal sides) and family members/close friends have been trying to get me to exercise more.

I've been riding a bike for most of my life, although there was a time where I quit after I got my drivers license. Before then, I rode either my 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle 12-speed or Huffy Superia around town to get out or go visit a friend, etc. Since I lived in a town that the Katy Trail ran right through, I often would get on it and ride for a few hours. There was a time where I was riding a bike every day for at least a couple hours, depending on the weather.

One of the biggest issues I have is - and I hate publicly saying this out of fear of humiliating myself - but I don't eat vegetables or fruits. Like a stubborn little kid, I hate them - I'm a very picky eater. I never eat them, which has made my goal of loosing weight somewhat more difficult.

Recently, I'm hoping to get back into shape and "hop back onto the bike." I recently purchased a 2016 Giant Sedona and have been trying to ride even in the winter (I've been posting somewhat frequently on a topic I started in the winter biking forums here.) Unfortunately, it's been so nasty and icy lately here that I have rarely had a chance to hop on the bike for a spin lately.

Welcome Garrett!
So what about the rest of your diet?
Seek out and then cut out any products with High Fructose Corn Syrup. Yes, it's bad for you. Any other opinion typically comes from someone with a financial interest in it or corn, of a specific product containing it
Knock off all the soft drinks. I'm a big fan of the V8 Fusion juices which are an extension of sorts to their also good vegetable juices but mostly fruits. It makes vegetables and fruit alot more easy to do. I usually drink it in a lot of ice and some water.
Those are two actions that will have a big impact.
Old 02-10-19, 11:18 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckD6421 View Post
Welcome Garrett!
So what about the rest of your diet?
Seek out and then cut out any products with High Fructose Corn Syrup. Yes, it's bad for you. Any other opinion typically comes from someone with a financial interest in it or corn, of a specific product containing it
Knock off all the soft drinks. I'm a big fan of the V8 Fusion juices which are an extension of sorts to their also good vegetable juices but mostly fruits. It makes vegetables and fruit alot more easy to do. I usually drink it in a lot of ice and some water.
Those are two actions that will have a big impact.
Probably the biggest thing that I have a problem with is... soda. This last fall I was able to cut almost all of my soda consumption (went from six or so cans down to one or two a day) but unfortunately that didn't stick. I'm back to where I started. :-( I noticed during that period I was losing some weight, especially since I was riding my bike on a daily basis at the same time. The temptation was too great to drink soda - it's addictive like a drug.

I was drinking water with Crystal Light packs, mostly the basic lemonade but there were some times where I'd change it up or get the caffeinated packs.

As for the rest of what I eat, it depends. I eat out quite often because I try to avoid the dining hall food and all I have right now is a microwave. A friend who does cook in her room suggested investing in a CrockPot or slow cooker to cook my own meals. Our dorm building also has a (just one) kitchenette, but I've never used it as it seems dirty and always smells like the person who previously used it caught something on fire and walked away.

From a financial standpoint, I've been trying to cut back on eating out less to save money - but my options are limited unless I go to the dining hall. I'm trying to get into an on-campus apartment next year where I can actually cook my own meals from my own kitchenette. Until then, I may invest in a slow cooker to cook my own meals like Hamburger Helper, spaghetti, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as to how I can get into better shape. Should I break this out into its own thread?
Old 02-13-19, 08:20 AM
bikecopp

Bikes: Rivendell Hunqapillar

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably the biggest thing that I have a problem with is... soda. This last fall I was able to cut almost all of my soda consumption (went from six or so cans down to one or two a day) but unfortunately that didn't stick. I'm back to where I started. :-( I noticed during that period I was losing some weight, especially since I was riding my bike on a daily basis at the same time. The temptation was too great to drink soda - it's addictive like a drug.

I was drinking water with Crystal Light packs, mostly the basic lemonade but there were some times where I'd change it up or get the caffeinated packs.

As for the rest of what I eat, it depends. I eat out quite often because I try to avoid the dining hall food and all I have right now is a microwave. A friend who does cook in her room suggested investing in a CrockPot or slow cooker to cook my own meals. Our dorm building also has a (just one) kitchenette, but I've never used it as it seems dirty and always smells like the person who previously used it caught something on fire and walked away.

From a financial standpoint, I've been trying to cut back on eating out less to save money - but my options are limited unless I go to the dining hall. I'm trying to get into an on-campus apartment next year where I can actually cook my own meals from my own kitchenette. Until then, I may invest in a slow cooker to cook my own meals like Hamburger Helper, spaghetti, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as to how I can get into better shape. Should I break this out into its own thread?
Go to a thrift store and pick up a george foreman grill. You can use it in you room or the kitchenette. I bought two slices of salmon like this for 6.80 at publix. Ill get two meals out of them. I cook the fish and vegetables at the same time. 7 minutes. Drink lemon water. You have to cut out the sugar.
Old 02-13-19, 10:10 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking about picking up an inexpensive slow cooker (or Crock Pot) from Walmart soon and using it to cook meals. Right now I'm eating out way too much, which isn't good for my health or bank account.

I'm also thinking about splitting this into a separate post, so that I don't derail this one.
Old 03-16-19, 05:06 PM
GrolarBear

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul L. View Post
201 and 6'1"

Here is me and my ride. Was down below 190 for awhile there until I took a month off to nurse my back and the weight shot above 200 again and hasn't come back down yet.

Vegetables aren't a huge deal (I will say this and leave it alone- I feel like people that say things like that about a whole class of food are just fussing before trying and/or have never had them done right, but that probably doesn't help here). Vegetables aren't going to make or break a diet, though they are something that you can mostly eat without really worrying about it. OTOH, vegetarians that like eating/food often have problems keeping from getting fat. Your biggest concern is to control carbohydrate intake, mostly in the form of sugar. There are strong arguments against artificial sweeteners (the only one that I don't feel has negative overall stevia, but since it's a natural herb it's hard to find stuff made with it, there isn't the profit margin in herbs/natural), but if your choice is to backslide on the sodas or have one with artificial sweeteners I'd go with the diet (you need to learn to get them out of your diet. I know it's hard, I try to limit diet soda to 1 a day and as a mixer if I'm going to have a drink.

I think you need to learn some about nutrition (and not what the government tells us which is totally wrong)- your crockpot idea will likely fail for 2 reasons: 1- the kinds of things you're talking about making (hamburger helper, spaghetti...) are loaded in carbs and not enough protein, 2- they and most crockpot recipes are a large number of servings. If you don't have a kitchen you likely don't have the refrigerator space to make a week's worth of meals in advance and store them. If you do have storage space what you could make in a crock pot that would work is things like whole chicken...

The George Forman Grill is a great idea but might be a problem with your roommates: a crock pot might fill your dorm with tasty food smells, a GFG will fill it will grilling/burning smell that will linger longer.

Why are you trying to stay away from dininghall food?

FWIW, this is coming from someone that lost >100# 14 years ago and has kept the bodyfat off (not quite the weight, but that was on purpose, I'll explain in my coming introduction). If you want to start a dedicated thread feel free to send me a link and I'll try to help. Feel free to PM me questions also, but a thread will get input from more people.
Old 03-18-19, 09:01 AM
amchef

Bikes: Felt Z3, Rocky Mountain Vertex 950

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@fullergarrett

There is no magic wand. You can't live on sugar -- soda, Crystal Light -- and skip what should be the bulk -- no pun intended -- of what you should be eating, which is stuff that comes off trees and vines and from the ground.

"Picky eating" is a copout. It's like the celiac mania going around -- a small percentage of the population is intolerant but it's become a cottage industry. You gotta step up. Look, amigo, I'm a clyde so I can empathize. It also means you're not gonna get a lot of hollow hugs. This stuff is hard to do. My miles are going up but my weight isn't going down in proportion because it's not linear. I still need to make more lifestyle changes. You have to keep good, lean protein at the center of your intake, then fill out the larger ring with legumes and other stuff you say you don't like. It's the only way. I'm (still) living proof that wishing it away is folly.

Talk to your primary care physician and see if he/she wouldn't mind monitoring your food intake and PORTIONS via photos; probably someone on staff who does this. Find a friend who will give you tough love. And for the other side of the coin -- riding -- get online, talk to your LBS about finding people with whom to ride. Some people are focused and anti-social; I do much better riding with like-minded people. Peer pressure is a good thing.

Good luck
Old 03-20-19, 04:04 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello.

i just joined the forum, mainly to lurk and hopefully sponge up some info. Had a physically demanding job which kept my weight in check(ish) but recently got an office job and i definitely put on the pounds. Since i live in the netherlands my main mode of transportation is bike, at first had a regular city bike (van moof drop dow, coaster brakes, single speed) and last week bought my first road bike ( btwin triban 100 and added a rear rack). on teh city bike i enjoyed taking long rides out to neighboring cities, but i wanted to do longer rides on a better suited bike. hope to be doing a 100km ride to antwerp in about 2 weeks and this weekend doign test ride to the hague to see how long it takes me on this bike.
Old 04-05-19, 02:26 PM
escapefoot

Bikes: rockhopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted in community already but thought I would say "hi" here as well

I am an old clydesdale from Canada.

Back in the early 1990s I was quite an active mtber, after a few decades of being a slack ass its time to start up again.

Dug out my old steel frame Specialized rockhopper ....

Time to start living the lifestyle again

Peace, beer and good pizza
Old 04-05-19, 05:29 PM
psychling78
Old school MAMIL

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale CAAD2 R300, Late 80s Bill Davidson Touring bike, old-school hard-tail Specialized Hardrock, circa 1987, Trek Sporttrack Tandem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Introductions

Hey, I ride a Cannondale CAAD2 R300 on the road, a sweet Davidson touring rig for commuting and touring, and a VERY old school Specialized Rockhopper hardtail on the trails! I'm 5'10 and 215, wishing I could be 185 again. The pounds don't come off so easily when you hit 50.
Old 04-15-19, 02:23 PM
Loc123

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
52 years old 243lbs. Need to drop some weight. 43lbs would be great but 53lbs is goal. Got a salsa vaya and going to try to ride 3x week. Ed some nutrition help or meal plan help.
Old 04-21-19, 10:23 AM
rodgeman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I am 6'3" 320lbs. I ride a 2012 Specilized Sirrus. Just got back into riding after 20 years. Mainly recreation and to loose weight.