Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin 25 and speed sensor - using GPS as default

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 02-09-19, 03:30 PM
damo78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi All,

I'm not sure if anyone here has had this problem, I'm guessing not but worth a try.

I've been using a Garmin Edge 25 for a few years now without any issues.

I recently bought an indoor trainer, as although I prefer to ride outdoors, I unfortunately suffered a heart attack whilst riding in September and so have had to work myself back to fitness gently.

I also bought a combined speed and cadence sensor to track my indoor rides, which my Garmin for ages refused to use for tracking, it just wanted to use GPS. So I started using the Wahoo Fitness app instead for indoor rides.

However, last week I went out for a ride with a mate, and 7 miles in I noticed that my Garmin was auto-paused, and hadn't tracked any of the miles up to then. I tried resuming it, but it just kept auto-pausing. I tried restarting the ride, same thing. In the end I realised it was probably trying to use the speed/cadence sensor (not sure why it wasn't registering a speed though), so I removed it from the Garmin, which immediately started tracking by GPS.

I would like if possible to track my cadence, but not the speed, through the sensor, the speed I'd like to continue to track through GPS.

So my question, in a very long winded way, is can I somehow tell the Garmin to always use GPS, but also track cadence through the cadence sensor? I can't find anything in the settings. If not it's not an issue, cadence isn't that important to me, but as I have the sensor always on the bike it would be great to record it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-19, 12:11 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
If it is a combined speed/cadence sensor you are probably not going to be able to separate the functions to get cadence and not speed.

Why do you prefer GPS for speed? The sensor is more accurate.

One possible alternative is getting a cadence only magnetless sensor. Easy to pair and accurate—and inexpensive.

Have you tried going to the Garmin forums and asking there?

Good luck and take care of the ticker.
Old 02-11-19, 07:31 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 5889 Post(s)
I owned an Edge 25 several years ago. From memory...

It has to be switched between indoor and outdoor mode depending on whether you are actually riding or on a trainer.

Indoor mode uses both cadence and speed but no GPS.

Outdoor mode uses the cadence sensor but ignores the speed sensor other than pausing/unpausing the unit. The speed sensor is essentially a pause/unpause switch and GPS speed data is used instead.

-Tim-
Old 02-11-19, 11:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 7174 Post(s)
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
If it is a combined speed/cadence sensor you are probably not going to be able to separate the functions to get cadence and not speed.
​​​​​​Agree. If it's going to work at all, it'll probably be by pulling the speed magnet off the wheel.

You may want to consider a power meter. It's an objective way to measure exercise intensity that works even for people with abnormal HR response. Plus a lot of them report cadence, and they give you data that's much more valuable than anything else you can measure on a bike. I wouldn't normally recommend one, but in this case it's maybe worth thinking about.

Don't push yourself too hard!