Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Noob Question about Bike Lanes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Noob Question about Bike Lanes

Old 01-14-20, 04:59 AM
ceebee4

Bikes: 1970 Raleigh Super Course; 1985 Team Fuji; 200? On-One InBred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Holy crap! I guess I'm more comfortable riding with cars than even a lot of cyclists HERE.

I'd ride that stretch without much thought. Take a third of the lane, obey traffic laws, and generally act like a car. It's the legal and safest way to ride, imo. Try not to make motorists guess what you're doing, just like I expect from them. I've found that's where problems come in, when you (or a driver) do something unexpected.

Have fun. That's a LOT different terrain than where I zip around in my cold, gray, urban environment
Old 01-14-20, 05:12 AM
ablasen57
ablasen

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Soma ES

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would just add to the good advice already given to be as visible as possible, including a daylight-visible rear blinker. A car going 45 will overtake you very quickly. Probably they will be going 50 or more. I would avoid that road when busy (if it ever is), It can be harrowing when cars pass in opposite directions at that speed right as they're passing you. Looks like that is not likely. Also, do not worry about cars not being able to cross the double-yellow. They will do so if need to pass a cyclist.
Old 01-27-20, 02:04 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
I just read this new article about these new biking road signs that the city of Ahwatukee put up recently and it reminded me of this discussion.
Pretty cool signs.
Likes For Metallifan33:
Old 01-28-20, 04:20 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by yukiinu
If it's 1/4 mile a wide shoulder and little traffic I would go against traffic and fast.
Bad idea.

Originally Posted by ceebee4
Holy crap! I guess I'm more comfortable riding with cars than even a lot of cyclists HERE.

I'd ride that stretch without much thought. Take a third of the lane, obey traffic laws, and generally act like a car. It's the legal and safest way to ride, imo. Try not to make motorists guess what you're doing, just like I expect from them. I've found that's where problems come in, when you (or a driver) do something unexpected.

Have fun. That's a LOT different terrain than where I zip around in my cold, gray, urban environment
Yep. Nailed it.

Originally Posted by Metallifan33
I just read this new article about these new biking road signs that the city of Ahwatukee put up recently and it reminded me of this discussion.
Pretty cool signs.
Don't trust in "magic paint", learn now to ride in traffic - be a vehicle.

Cycling Savvy is all about how to ride in traffic and learning how to "take the lane" and then release it. Take one of their courses.

https://cyclingsavvy.org
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 01-28-20, 05:11 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Arizona is an awesome cycling state. Most places I have ridden there are very cycling friendly so I think you will have no problem.

But as for me, my strategy would be plan ahead. Slow the pace, take a little breather, time between cars hope to not get one on your tail, then TIME TRIAL YOUR BUTT OFF!!!

I rode in Arizona, couple of organized rides, sweet!!! Casa Grande metric and Tour de Tucson. Awesome rides. I have done many California rides and they suck compared to Arizona!
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 01-29-20, 07:56 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
This is so bikeforums that we have a 5 page thread discussing whether it's safe to ride a 1/4 mile stretch of road that is frequently used by cyclists.
Old 01-29-20, 08:07 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
This is so bikeforums that we have a 5 page thread discussing whether it's safe to ride a 1/4 mile stretch of road that is frequently used by cyclists.
The question was answered on the 1st page, but a few A&S types(that have never been on this road) felt it was necessary to step in and give their opinion.