Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just don't feel like riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just don't feel like riding?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 03:44 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I've been in the ride doldrums for a few weeks. It all started with a small crash that buggered up a shin on one leg and a knee on the other. The shin injury didn't feel better until week 3 and trying to ride before then a couple times aggravated it.

Then work took off, and a home project took over this past weekend. I haven't had a ride in over a week and it's not calling to me at the moment even in this beautiful weather we're having.

Last night I was looking at my two bikes in the garage and was wishing I had a cruiser for moments I feel like this. If only I had the storage space and permission to do so. Marriage . . . . arrrrgh . . . blaaargh . . . today's another anniversary . . .
Old 10-06-20, 03:54 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
I've been in the ride doldrums for a few weeks. It all started with a small crash that buggered up a shin on one leg and a knee on the other. The shin injury didn't feel better until week 3 and trying to ride before then a couple times aggravated it.

Then work took off, and a home project took over this past weekend. I haven't had a ride in over a week and it's not calling to me at the moment even in this beautiful weather we're having.

Last night I was looking at my two bikes in the garage and was wishing I had a cruiser for moments I feel like this. If only I had the storage space and permission to do so. Marriage . . . . arrrrgh . . . blaaargh . . . today's another anniversary . . .
Are you really ruing being married? You know you didn't have to be, nor do you need to continue to be.

You don't need permission. Don't pretend like you do. If you actually care about your spouse, I would think you'd WANT to make him/her happy and not blame you unhappiness on them.

For myself, I refuse to be a victim of my choices.
Old 10-06-20, 04:00 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by fujidon
Are you really ruing being married? You know you didn't have to be, nor do you need to continue to be.

You don't need permission. Don't pretend like you do. If you actually care about your spouse, I would think you'd WANT to make him/her happy and not blame you unhappiness on them.

For myself, I refuse to be a victim of my choices.
Not really, but when I went up to three bikes* in the summer of 2019 and offered to get rid of my wife's unridden bike to make space, she wasn't having any of it. So, I put new tires, seat, and grips on her old bike (aged, not worn) and gave a general service. She has not put 1 mile on that machine in over 12 months time.

Can't win 'em all.

Edit to add: *Forgot to mention, I had to get rid of bike #1 to make room for bike #3 since I couldn't get rid of my wife's bike. #1 was a cruiser.

Last edited by FiftySix; 10-08-20 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-06-20, 04:06 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
If I don't feel like riding because it's cold or wet then I don't ride.

Otherwise, I drag myself out the door and after the first couple of miles I always feel good about it. I just returned from that sort of ride.

But I doubt I get nearly the annual mileage that some here do, so I probably don't ride enough to ever get tired of it.
Old 10-06-20, 06:33 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
I know that riding will make me feel better no matter how bad my mindset is before the ride
Old 10-06-20, 06:45 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
My riding has waxed and waned over the course of my life, but never died out. Just go with the flow. Life's too varied and interesting to fret over one interest for another.
Likes For gear64:
Old 10-06-20, 11:33 PM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by showlow
...Been absorbed in projects around the house and working on them instead of going riding w/ my free time...
There you go. Absorbed in something else. Don't overanalyze it, sometimes you just have other stuff going on. I usually don't hang bike up until late October or early November but being absorbed in a home sale and moving benched me through most of September where I only rode like 100 miles.
Old 10-07-20, 12:09 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If you're not into it mentally then don't do it. Nothing wrong with taking a little break from riding....It's better to take a break than to ride aimlessly without a purpose and not enjoy it.
If I didn't do all the things I wasn't mentally into, I would be living under a bridge and carrying all of my belongings is a shopping cart. Work, no matter what it is, requires discipline, and so do non-work activities. Love (of anything and/or anyone) is not something which happens and then keeps going on its own, it takes some effort to keep it going.
Old 10-07-20, 01:51 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Hopefully my riding mojo will return once I get a new hip next year. Post ride pain has a way of damping your enthusiasm for the next one.

As for not feeling like riding, try breaking up the monotony with say a fun ride, something like a slow cruise out around the neighborhood, something different from your normal "training" ride.

Used to do that when I worked out a lot. Would tell myself I was going in for a light workout. Often times that turned into the best workout.
Ever since April when 150lb wild hog hit me resulting in a crash/hospital stay injuries plus endless HOT/HUMID weather and my cancer issues things haven't been super so yesterday was a 2 ride "fun - chill'n outing."

https://www.strava.com/activities/4159679118

https://www.strava.com/activities/4159674690
Old 10-07-20, 07:00 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I think it's pretty normal to have that feeling. There are lots of times during the year I don't feel like riding, but I do because it's on my training plan. I usually schedule 2-4 weeks at the end of my race season to do whatever I want. Ride if I feel like, or don't. It's nice to not think about riding for a couple weeks.
Old 10-08-20, 07:43 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
If I don't feel like riding because it's cold or wet then I don't ride.

Otherwise, I drag myself out the door and after the first couple of miles I always feel good about it. I just returned from that sort of ride.

But I doubt I get nearly the annual mileage that some here do, so I probably don't ride enough to ever get tired of it.
This is pretty much my situation. I generally don't have to "drag myself out the door", my challenge is getting "kitted up"! Once dressed for action, it's pretty easy get going and after a mile or two, I'll be into the ride .
It's getting to be the time of the year when the cold days definitely outnumber the warm ones and consequently my interest in riding drops off sharply.
Old 10-08-20, 08:06 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Sometimes you just have to change things up.

Ride with the "slow group." Probably not as slow as you think, and way more fun than beating your brains out on the Tuesday Night World Championships. Friendlier people too.
Ride to a destination and have a nice meal. Easier pre-Covid.
Short rides. 25 or 30 miles is enough sometimes. Every ride doesn't need to be an epic adventure. Stop and take pictures. Read those roadside historical markers.
Ride the bike path. My wife likes to ride our tandem for an hour to get coffee. Watch the world go by and leisurely ride back.
Or switch to something else for a while, like hiking. Great exercise, still outdoors and you burn enough calories to drink a beer.
Old 10-08-20, 12:13 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by showlow
Something weird is happening. For maybe the first time in 15 yrs I just sorta don't feel like riding. Been absorbed in projects around the house and working on them instead of going riding w/ my free time. Usually I would feel real antsy and be worrying that I'm getting soft. But, instead I just feel apathetic.

Anyone else gone through this? What did you do?
I have been like that this Summer, sadly. I too have been busy with other projects. I still love bikes, and will be back into the insanity and addiction soon though. It is only temporary. As for apathy, don't worry, sometimes you just need a break.
Old 10-08-20, 12:26 PM
Sebenza

Bikes: Lemond Arrivée

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, you've had your week off. Now get back to work or you'll get soft. If your in the north a ready excuse is coming along. Now is the cooler time of the year with fall colors and few bugs. Get out there and ride. If you have a suitable bike try some woodsy trails. Trails are a nice change and you don't fall into the metrics trap. Don't ride if you don't feel like it but try not to let too much time go by and undo your work. Don't ask how I know.

Steve
Old 10-08-20, 03:13 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
Sometimes you just have to change things up.

Ride with the "slow group." Probably not as slow as you think, and way more fun than beating your brains out on the Tuesday Night World Championships. Friendlier people too.
Ride to a destination and have a nice meal. Easier pre-Covid.
Short rides. 25 or 30 miles is enough sometimes. Every ride doesn't need to be an epic adventure. Stop and take pictures. Read those roadside historical markers.
Ride the bike path. My wife likes to ride our tandem for an hour to get coffee. Watch the world go by and leisurely ride back.
Or switch to something else for a while, like hiking. Great exercise, still outdoors and you burn enough calories to drink a beer.
I remembered another one while riding today. Ride your old bike! I have a few bikes from the 70's, cool at the time, but not as sophisticated as modern stuff. Still, fun to ride the old bikes, fiddle with indexed shifting and Brooks seats. Then my newer bike feels like a rocket ship.