Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

700x28mm tyres

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

700x28mm tyres

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-19, 09:08 PM
ralph14836

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
700x28mm tyres

can anybody tell me if these tyres will these fit on a '16 S-Works Tarmac rim brakes clinchers on Easton wheels EA90SL without rubbing?
Old 03-02-19, 03:31 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Pretty much impossible question to answer, as different brands of 28mm measure out/fit differently.

Guessing you have the frame/wheels, measure it, and see what your clearances are.

BF doesn't seem to like one of the links below it has a but if you red it your will get there

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...c.php?t=150171

https://www.******.com/r/cycling/com...ire_clearance/
Old 03-02-19, 11:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not my Bike

28 = about 1.125 " measure the space on the bike ... your ..bike in front of you..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-02-19 at 11:28 AM. Reason: kids these days....
Old 03-02-19, 12:39 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
The limiting factor may be tire/brake caliper clearance. Some calipers are better than others. Can you borrow a set of wheels with the tires you’re looking at to install for a clearance check?
Old 03-02-19, 01:02 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
  • Tires vary in how true they are to advertised dimensions. As an example, the Continental Grand Prix 4000s II in a 28mm size tends to run larger than specified. On the other hand, the Continental Grand Prix 4 Season and Continental Grand Prix 5000 tend to run closer to specification in size.
  • Dimensions once mounted on a rim will also be dictated by the rim's inner width. A wider rim will result in a wider mounted tire.
  • Tire age and pressure will have some effect on the mounted width. As a tire ages it is possible (though not universally the case) that the casing will relax a little, allowing it to fill out a little wider.
  • Wheel stiffness, and frame stiffness in the rear triangle will have a bearing on whether a tire mounted in back that seems ok will actually work out ok under riding conditions.

All these factors come together to make it nearly impossible to know whether a given tire will be ok on your bike, if you're cutting things close. If the frame is made for 25mm tires, but you find that a true-to-spec 28mm tire mounts ok, you're lucky. So start with what the manufacturer says will work.

The best I've been able to come up with for my own purposes is to do the following:

Measure my existing tire. Let's say it's a 25mm tire. Measure my remaining clearance in various points along the fork, frame, and both open brake calipers and closed brake calipers. Lets say the tightest point I can find has about 5mm clearance.
Now look at what the next size up is: 28mm. The radius of a 25mm tire is 12.5mm. The radius of a 28mm tire is 14mm. So if the 28mm tire is true to size, the new clearance will be 5mm - (14mm - 12.5mm), which comes out to 3.5mm. I've seen it suggested that you should not try to mount a tire with less than about 3mm clearance. So I should be ok to go with a tire that is known for running true to size in a 28mm size.

The next step is to read some reviews, paying attention to the part where the reviewer discusses spec size (or nominal size) compared to actual measured size. Also look at your own 25mm tire to see if it runs larger or smaller than 25 when mounted on your rims. If your existing 25mm tire is known to be fairly true to size, and is fairly true to size on your rims, and if you can find a 28mm tire that is reviewed as being close to true to size, you should be ok.

I can say that the GP4000sII in the 28mm size run large, and on my rims measure 31mm. On my particular bike there is one place in the rear triangle where I have only 2mm clearance. I'm not getting any tire rub, but when I finally wear out this tire it will be replaced with a tire that is reviewed as running closer to true to size such as a GP4Season or GP5000. But the tolerance is so tight that it could have turned out poorly, and I might have ended up with an expensive tire that is not suitable for my bike. Do be cautious. In my case no amount of measuring could have predicted that the GP4000sII 28mm tire runs 31mm. But there are reviews online indicating such; that the tire runs large.
Old 03-02-19, 01:07 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
While it's a variable on a variable on a variable, I can offer this: I have a wheelset of similar internal width (19mm vs the 19.5mm of the Eastons) and I can absolutely not run a 28 on my 2017 Cervelo R3-- because the tires mount to about 31mm. My 700x25s mount to a hair over 27mm wide, so I would say yes, a 28mm will clear the frame/calipers, but probably not on a 19.5mm internal wheel. That bike came spec'd with 700x24 Spesh Turbo Cottons mounted on 16mm internal Roval Rapide CLX 40s.

I would stick to 25s.