Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

My new acquisition

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

My new acquisition

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-20, 01:11 PM
Gino71

Bikes: 1998 Kestrel Rubicon Comp, 1980's Nashbar Sport RX, 20?? Tommaso Augusta, 2016 Pure Fix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My new acquisition

I have been toying with the idea of getting a basic fixed gear bike to see if I want to invest in a build. Earlier this month I bought, what I thought was a Pake Rum Runner which turned out to be a Tommaso Augusta. I've yet to take it to the LBS to have it checked out. Decent components on it, for what I paid and the frame is Chromoly so I'd say it was worth what I paid.

Before I bought the Tommaso I was talking to a guy near me with a PureFix for about the same price as I paid for the Tommaso. I went with what I thought was the Pake at the time since it was chromoly.

I had forgotten about the PureFix during the time. Then the seller messages me and tells me he needed the bike gone since he was moving and he reduced the price to $50. He was the original owner since he bought it new about 3 years ago, it's in excellent shape. The tires need to be inflated and a few scuffs on the paint which I think may be drywall or something since it flakes off. So I'll wash it later this week when the temperature is a little warmer.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews and opinions of the PureFix, and yes I feel they were just jumping on a fad at the time to cash in. Overall though the bike seems decent. I like the frame geometry and the front fork rake look. It's comparable in weight to the Tommaso Augusta. I'm thinking of keeping it and upgrading some of the components while I decide if I want to go all out on a higher end fixed gear bike. For the price of $50 I couldn't pass it up, and even if I upgrade the crankset and change the wheelset ( I'm not too fond of the deep dish look myself ) , it should give me a good basic platform to see if fixed gear is for me. Here is a pic.

Old 02-27-20, 01:33 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
$50.00 is a steal. Somethings good things do come to those who wait. The main criteria though is fit. Does it fit you? That seems like a fairly small frame.

I think it is a good approach to buy something like this to help decide whether you like riding fixed/S.S. and in the end you can sell it if you want and make a few bucks.
Old 02-27-20, 01:49 PM
Gino71

Bikes: 1998 Kestrel Rubicon Comp, 1980's Nashbar Sport RX, 20?? Tommaso Augusta, 2016 Pure Fix

Surprisingly it does fit! I struggle to find frames my size since I'm 5'5" maybe 5'6" on a good day. From what one of the guys at the LBS told me when he was sizing me for a bike, he told me my arms and torso are a little longer than the lower portion of my body, to sit on a bike and make sure I can flat foot it. Since each manufacturer's sizing can vary.
Old 02-28-20, 10:09 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Gino71
From what one of the guys at the LBS told me when he was sizing me for a bike, he told me my arms and torso are a little longer than the lower portion of my body, to sit on a bike and make sure I can flat foot it. Since each manufacturer's sizing can vary.
You went to a shop to be fitted but then bought TWO bikes somewhere else? That's awesome. Bike shops love when people do that ****.

Also, unless you're a toddler on a push bike, you're not supposed to be able to put both of your feet flat on the ground while on the saddle.

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 02-28-20 at 12:58 PM.
Likes For Scrodzilla:
Old 02-28-20, 11:10 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
no need to start a new thread for every bike you purchase. there are already threads for that.
here
you go
Likes For REDMASTA:
Old 02-28-20, 02:11 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Gino71
Surprisingly it does fit! I struggle to find frames my size since I'm 5'5" maybe 5'6" on a good day. From what one of the guys at the LBS told me when he was sizing me for a bike, he told me my arms and torso are a little longer than the lower portion of my body, to sit on a bike and make sure I can flat foot it. Since each manufacturer's sizing can vary.
Just to clarify, because this is important:

You should be able to stand astride the top tube with your feet comfortably on the floor. Not necessarily completely flat footed, and perhaps with the bike at a slight angle, but the point is you should be able to stop, drop forwards out of the saddle, and support the bike confidently.

However, if by "sit on the bike" you mean "sit on the seat" then the measurement to the pedal at the bottom of its travel is the crucial thing. You should be able to sit in your natural riding position and put your heel on the pedal at the bottom of its travel with your leg straight but not "stretched" or "locked". Any higher or lower than that and pedalling becomes less efficient and more tiring.

If you can sit on the seat and put both feet flat on the floor, then the bike is seriously too small for you.

Nice looking bike, though. The good thing about forums like this is you will get good natured advice and encouragement. The bad thing is, there will always be someone to tell you you could have got a better bike, and someone to tell you you should have posted somewhere else.

Main thing is to enjoy riding a bike.
Likes For Mikefule:
Old 02-28-20, 06:41 PM
Gino71

Actually I consulted my local bike shop who did my measurement. They know me very well as they service my bikes on a regular basis, and we had lengthy discussions on what I was looking in a purchase. Originally they suggested I convert my road bike to fixed gear but since it's almost all original I was hesitant to do so, and they understood. They are the ones who suggested looking for a decent used bike to start off before I invest in something higher priced than what they carry. They know I'll be buying replacement parts from them and they'll be installing and servicing my bike. If I enjoy fixed gear we've already discussed a better bike that they're more than willing to order for me and build to my specs while also consulting them.

Maybe I used the wrong phase when I said flat foot, I meant stand over height.
Likes For Gino71: