Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Sigma Data Center - Backup

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 02:54 PM
darrencope

Bikes: Colnago Classic, Kona Dr. Dew, Giant ATX 740, Bianchi Strada, Eclipse Time Machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've been happily using a Sigma Rox 9.0 all season (love it so far!) but am about to do a clean Windows install on my PC, and will thus have to uninstall and reinstall Sigma Data Center. I don't see a way to back up my logs and memory that I have downloaded from the Sigma so I can get them on my new install. There must be a way to do this! Does anyone know?

Cheers,

Darren
Old 10-15-10, 11:46 PM
socalslowguy

Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a clean install when upgrading to Windows 7 earlier this year and was able to retain the data. Look in My Documents for a Sigma Data Center folder. There will be a subfolder where all of the log and data files are kept. Copy the log, memory and totals folders and after reinstalling the Sigma Data Center program on the fresh Windows installation, copy these folders back into My Documents/Sigma Data Center.

For all I know, there might be an easier way to do this.
Old 10-16-10, 09:24 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by socalslowguy
I did a clean install when upgrading to Windows 7 earlier this year and was able to retain the data. Look in My Documents for a Sigma Data Center folder. There will be a subfolder where all of the log and data files are kept. Copy the log, memory and totals folders and after reinstalling the Sigma Data Center program on the fresh Windows installation, copy these folders back into My Documents/Sigma Data Center.

For all I know, there might be an easier way to do this.
Although, I'm not familiar with this particular software, this sounds logical. A lot of programs store user data in the Documents folder. iTunes is one example. Another possible location, and frequently used one, for user data is the hidden Application Data folder: C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data in Windows XP. The equivalent in Windows 7 would be: C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming. That's where apps like Adobe, Mozilla keep their settings including bookmarks and interface customizations.

The best strategy would be to backup your entire user folder to another hard drive including the hidden files and folders. Make sure you have no programs running or some data may be in use. Then after reinstalling you will have your data somewhere in that backup and it will be possible to figure it out. When copying your entire user folder you will get several errors that files can't be copied. That's OK, let it skip those. There are always some files opened by the system but they're not critical. Ideally, you'd want to login as Administrator (XP Pro) or another user with admin rights (XP Home) to do the copy.

Finally, it's very rare, it's against Microsoft guidelines and considered lousy programing, but some programs may store their data in their application folder inside C:\Program Files. Just to be on the safe side you may want to back up those applications you care about most.

You may want to un-hide the hidden files so you can access the content of that folder.

Whatever you do, document it for yourself, so when you reinstall Windows next time you will now exactly what to do.
Old 10-17-10, 07:35 AM
darrencope

Bikes: Colnago Classic, Kona Dr. Dew, Giant ATX 740, Bianchi Strada, Eclipse Time Machine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys! Looks like this should work fine--I figured there would be a directory of files like that, but obviously didn't look in the right place!

Cheers!