Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

CX Shoes

Old 07-20-11, 10:15 AM
Hudzy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CX Shoes

So my LBS is having a big sale, and I'm looking to buy shoes. What should I look for in a good pair of shoes for CX? Will road shoes fare well in CX conditions? Any good recommendations for something <$200?
Old 07-20-11, 10:40 AM
darrencope

Bikes: Colnago Classic, Kona Dr. Dew, Giant ATX 740, Bianchi Strada, Eclipse Time Machine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road shoes are the LAST thing you want. Look for a pair of well-fitting mountain bike shoes.

Road shoes are impossible to run in!
Old 07-20-11, 11:35 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
I like my Pearl Izumi Selects. It's a very basic shoe, and I'm sure there must be some reason that people pay more than twice as much for a shoe like the Sidi Dominator, but I couldn't tell you what that reason is.

For CX you need a shoe that will give you traction running up a muddy hill. Toe spikes can be a bonus in some conditions. A lot of people insist on a shoe with a buckle, which is more secure than Velcro and tightens down better. I've never had a problem with just Velcro straps.
Old 07-20-11, 11:43 AM
Hudzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking, if possible, for a CX+Road shoe...

For roading...I'm guessing you don't need all that traction? What if one where to use MTB shoes for road? What disadvantages arise?
Old 07-20-11, 01:19 PM
eddubal
Mud, Gore & Guts

Bikes: 2012 Van Dessel Gin & Trombones; 2011 Masi Speciale SSCX; '87 Peugeot Cannonball Express

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's no problem wearing mountiain shoes on a road bike. It probably breaks some social rule somewhere, but doesn't really matter. I know a bunch of roadies wearing mountain shoes. Just make sure your shoes, cleats, and pedals are compatible. There is slightly more drag with mtn shoes, and road shoes are slightly stiffer, but chances are that if you are looking for a multipurpose shoe, your biggest limiter isn't drag or power transfer to the pedals.
Old 07-20-11, 03:15 PM
igknighted

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The reason you wouldn't ride mountain shoes on a road bike is that they wont work with road pedals. If you use mountain pedals on your road bike, you are giving up some performance and comfort (especially on long or competitive rides), but there is nothing _wrong_ with that, especially for casual riders and commuters for whom performance (and how they feel after 100+ miles) isn't a big concern.
Old 07-20-11, 03:29 PM
Andy_K 

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by igknighted
If you use mountain pedals on your road bike, you are giving up some performance and comfort (especially on long or competitive rides)
Really? I'm not sure I buy that. I've never used road pedals, but I've done centuries using platform-free Egg Beaters and had no comfort problems (at least none associated with the pedals).

Is it just the longer platform that provides the performance and comfort advantage?

You're definitely right with regard to casual riders and commuters, and in these groups MTB shoes have the extreme advantage that you can walk in them easily.
Old 07-20-11, 03:42 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
MTB pedals and shoes are made for riding on dirt thus are able to do things like release easier and shed mud. What you give up are some stiffness and weight. I only ride with road shoes on my road bike everything else I do I wear my MTB shoes. Plus you can walk like a normal person in MTB shoes.
Old 07-20-11, 06:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
back 20 years ago there were some cyclocross shoes from Rivat, And SiDi.
the cleats were a slot on the shoe back then
now everyone uses MTB shoes , the toe Spikes from soccer shoes help on steep muddy run ups..

When the pedals were Toe-clip and strap the furthest forward the studs could be
was the instep, behind the cleat, and the Heel to run down scary steep hill sections

rather than crash out, like in the 1st lap.
Old 07-20-11, 09:47 PM
igknighted

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Really? I'm not sure I buy that. I've never used road pedals, but I've done centuries using platform-free Egg Beaters and had no comfort problems (at least none associated with the pedals).

Is it just the longer platform that provides the performance and comfort advantage?

You're definitely right with regard to casual riders and commuters, and in these groups MTB shoes have the extreme advantage that you can walk in them easily.
It's a question of pressure. When pedaling, regardless of shoe/pedal choice you are pushing down with roughly the same amount of force, so to change the pressure you feel on the bottom of your foot, you must change the area that force is spread over a larger area. With a road shoe it is spread out over a much larger area (look how much area the cleat contacts on the shoe). Also, since the sole is stiffer, it spreads that force out more evenly over the whole bottom of the foot (while a flexier MTB shoe might give, so you feel it more right under the cleat... although a good MTB shoe with a carbon sole wont have this issue as much). Will everyone notice a difference? Of course not. But there are definite comfort (and performance) advantages that many do notice.

FWIW, my better half rode across the USA twice on cheap, flexy shoes with SPD cleats and didn't have issues, so it certainly isn't a deal breaker... but given a choice between the two on the road, I will take the road style any day just to be safe.
Old 07-28-11, 10:38 PM
mr.smith.pdx

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Cross Pro, 2006 Allez Sport, Mid 70's French Bike named 'Pierre'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear the Forte MTB shoes with the GIANT hard plastic cleats. The CM410s (Mine are blue, but I think they are black now). They are also on sale for about $60 right now.

The cleats make all the difference, I could player soccer in these things. I have never had a traction problem. I don't even use the toe spikes. My wife's $200 SIDIs have soft rubber lugs on the sole that have worn down quickly.
Old 07-29-11, 06:00 PM
shovelhd

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darrencope
Road shoes are the LAST thing you want. Look for a pair of well-fitting mountain bike shoes.

Road shoes are impossible to run in!
The link in your sig is broken.