Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aren't flat bladed spokes less aero than round spokes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Aren't flat bladed spokes less aero than round spokes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-05, 12:32 PM
formulaben

Bikes: Felt F2C, Scott Spark 40, and Custom Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
I would not quote Zipp sites for opinions on Zipp products. They try very hard to justify the most expensive wheels in the world.
Is it OK if I quote DocRay on aerodynamics?
Old 09-27-05, 03:02 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
It's often just common sense, even my Cervelo has some BS aero: Cervelo goes on about the main tube being a tapered airfoil, but then they use a round airfoil shape for the downtube, which is pointless, because it doesn't see clean air.

I'd like to see some independant testing of the efficacy of most aero parts, but I doubt any manufacturer would sponsor this.

Old 09-27-05, 03:30 PM
timwat

Bikes: Giant TCR CF, Raleigh Fixie, Bridgestone Radac, Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The PF Flyers of road biking. Buy aero - you'll run faster and jump higher.
Old 09-27-05, 03:34 PM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
This is the theory used to sell bladed spokes. In practical application, it is total bull****.
If true about bladed spokes, why can't the same be said for aero tubing such as that on a Cervelo Soloist?
Old 09-27-05, 06:22 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
read two posts back. The front downtube does see cleaner air, as does the seatpost. But the seattube on the Soloist contradicts the design on the P3s. In other words:looks cool, but really means nothing.

Old 09-27-05, 06:49 PM
krazyderek
Ca-na-da?

Bikes: none at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally like them for the looks, i'm not going to sit here and say that i can feel the difference since i can't base it on facts, even if i could setup some controlled test instead of "me and my friend.... ", the difference is so miniscule, that as soon as your can think you sense the difference, you start to think you feel the difference more and more, a phenomenon more commonly known as bull****.

I will say this for a fact though. My rear bontrager race rim actually broke as the bladed spoke ripped thru the rim (i guess it had to much tension or something, no clue what that rim's deal was), but the bladed spoke never broke. A week using my friend's spare wheel and i break 2 spokes on it, they where round. So bladded is stronger, weathre this is a good thing or not would be a case by case thing
Old 09-27-05, 07:31 PM
timwat

Bikes: Giant TCR CF, Raleigh Fixie, Bridgestone Radac, Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, Garcia says as much on his web site, one paragraph reads:

"The spoke shown is Wheelsmith's XE14 bladed model. These spokes are similar in weight and stiffness to a 1.5mm thick round spoke such as the Wheelsmith XL14 tm* or DT Swiss Revolution tm*models. They have much better tensile strength as the result of the forging process used to create them. The significance of the aero benefits of bladed spokes is somewhat debateable, but the strength advantage is not. Simply put, these will carry more tension load compared to an equivalent weight round spoke."
Old 09-27-05, 07:45 PM
Cable43
Draft Dogger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to answer the original question- yes.
Old 09-27-05, 10:26 PM
trayer350

Bikes: Vortex, Proteus,Tuscany, Victoire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EURO
That should be 'no perceivable problems in side winds'. For all you know, you could be loosing 2% of your power.

I can’t perceive a 100g decrease in weight, but all other things being equal, I would take the lighter bike into a race.

Pros and pros mechanics don't always know best. Many are still operating under cycling's 'old wives tails'.
I suppose many do have tails, but the original phrase was "old wives' tales," I believe.
Old 09-28-05, 05:13 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by formulaben
Well, Velomax says the same thing, but Zipp disagrees (pdf file), and puts it in writing. Check out the first chart. If the wind angle is 0 degrees, it is riding behind the wheel and rim, so it is in turbulent air. It makes sense that as the angle is increased that drag goes down.
I've read that Pdf before, but I thought that is why Zipp uses oval and not large bladed spokes like the ones on the Kysrium SSC SL.

It's early in the a.m. (I'm not awake yet) and I'm going by memory. I actually have that pdf book marked and have used in my previous threads though.

Last edited by 53-11_alltheway; 09-28-05 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-28-05, 05:31 AM
badkarma
Know Your Onion!

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Motobecane Le Champion SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right, airplane wings are made to create lift - BUT their design also has a low drag coefficient. Why is this? Wings are designed to keep the flow separated to the wing surface. Often you'll see tripwires at the leading edge of the airfoil to trip the flow turbulent which will keep the flow attached to the surface longer due to the effect that turbulence pushes more momentum to the surface, thus why it stays attached longer than a laminar boundary layer.

When flows become separated from a surface, trailing vortices in the wake and contribute heavily to the pressure drag (the largest component of aerodynamic drag in our case). As a result, with airplane wings having the shape they do, the flow stays attached longer, thus creating a lower drag profile, and not to mention, MUCH more lift.
Old 09-28-05, 05:33 AM
badkarma
Know Your Onion!

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Motobecane Le Champion SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I assume when people say "clean air," they really mean a laminar flow.
Old 09-28-05, 07:41 AM
johno

Bikes: Trek Y-Foil, Falcon San Remo 76

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some personal experience...

I have had three aero style wheelsets - Rolf Vector Pro with 30mm aero rim and heavy bladed spokes, Campy Zonda with 30mm aero rim and mild bladed spokes, and Zipp 404 with 58mm aero rim and round spokes.

Without a doubt, the Zipps are the fastest downhill, with the Zondas and Rolfs pretty much even.

The figures I've read tend to back this up - spokes constitute a fairly small portion of overall wind resistance in a wheel, with the rim creating the bulk of wind resistance. Bladed spokes are more aero, but the reduction in wind resistance is fairly small. They do look cool, though...
Old 09-28-05, 08:36 AM
ExMachina
Senior, Senior Member

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Regarding spoke shape, I was just reading some figures on this last night. The results of the several laboratory tests I've read all show bladed spokes to be more aero than round. Oval/elliptical spokes also faired very well and were even superior to bladed in off-angle airflows. Round spokes always made a poor showing, sometimes producing close to 100% more drag than bladed/oval.

So like 53-11 said, oval spokes are the most efficient *overall*--bladed only edges (ah-hem!) out elliptical spokes when the airflow is coming nearly straight-on, from the front (and here you have to wonder how many wheel sets have their blades perfectly aligned anyway)
Old 09-28-05, 09:33 AM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badkarma
I assume when people say "clean air," they really mean a laminar flow.
Yes, I'm sure that's what he meant to say.
Old 09-28-05, 10:14 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ExMachina
(and here you have to wonder how many wheel sets have their blades perfectly aligned anyway)
Yeah seriously you have to wonder how true that is.

I had some drag tests from tour magazine that showed sapim cx-rays made 30% less average drag (from all yaw angles) than round spokes in the same wheel.

Of course I have to assume they were being compared to straight guage spokes. Something like a DT revolutuion with a small 17 guage center would no doubt have much less drag than a straight round spoke.
Old 09-28-05, 10:25 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
My Rolf Vector Pros are flad bladed aero spokes. I don't know if it is the flad blade or the minimal number of spokes which really makes the difference but they are faster in my experience than 32 hole round spoke wheels.