Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Not everyone likes bike paths.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 12:10 PM
cobolman

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Volpe and 15 Yr Old Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — A group of Corvallis-area farmers is asking the Oregon Transportation Commission to cancel a $2 million grant for a public bicycle and hiking path that would cross their properties.

The Corvallis Gazette-Times reports a dozen people with the group spoke against the Corvallis to Albany path during a hearing Thursday on funding from ConnectOregon, a lottery supported transportation program.

The farmers say the path would be a business hardship and raise concerns about safety and criminal activity.

A Transportation Department official who oversees the program, Chris Cummings, says he's not aware of any grants being revoked as a result of such requests.
Old 01-16-15, 12:29 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,172 Posts
We are having the same kind of problem on the south shore of Long Island, NY

The State of NY owns most of the barrier beach known as Jones Beach. There's a state parkway (no commercial vehicles) running the 14 mile length, with part of that 14 miles having beach communities.

For about 12 or so years, the state, wanting to install a bike path on the state property on the north side of the parkway, has been fought by a retired judge who "doesn't want the riff-raff" (as he stated at a community meeting) biking out near the community he lives in. He knows what buttons to push and who to call, politically, so currently the project is stalled.

Sigh...
Old 01-16-15, 12:32 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Why would they be using farmer's property to have a path? Or, is it RR ROW?
Old 01-19-15, 11:39 AM
professorbob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Our local Rail Trail was proposed to cut through some farmland, and then ended up going around the edge of it as opposed to straight through. A good compromise.
Old 01-19-15, 01:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Deja Vu Thread? or multiple Posting by same person?
Old 01-19-15, 03:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I heard the Katy Trail had a lot of problems because the Katy RR was mostly on a right-of-way, not private property.

No doubt people dislike the condemnation process.

Anyway, I think it is good to note that bike trails are overwhelmingly good for the communities, but not necessarily good for the individuals. Back to thinking about Missouri, towns like Defiance and perhaps Augusta have businesses that exist only because of the trail, and all the restaurant and food service, and perhaps lodging type businesses get a boost because of the trail.

On the other hand, farmers must just tolerate it as it just brings more people around their farms. No doubt there are some trail campers, some who leave no trace, others who litter and make a mess out of things. Also, littering along the trails, although it is usually less than along roads.

Does the trail benefit the farmers? I doubt they are allowed to drive their tractors on the trail. Sometimes a road or trail will bisect one's property So, the only benefit would be if they hop on their bikes, participate in a farmer's market, or are planning on subdividing and developing their property (which may be restricted by zoning laws). Otherwise, I could imagine the trail and more people could be an annoyance.

Who is going to maintain the additional fences and gates that would be necessary for a bike path that transects one's property? Are LOCKS required on a gate? Perhaps the only locks on a gate on their property.

Perhaps they should get on their bike, and explore some existing trails to see if their fears are truly justified.
Old 01-20-15, 11:08 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
My city got around to extending a long planned bike path on city park land adjacent to a city golf course. At the perfunctory public hearing, the pro- contingent was blindsided by the homeowners lining the links, who assured the city council that the bike path extension would be a natural conduit for ebola-infested zombie jihadists to infiltrate the community. The parks planning committee compromised by drawing another dotted line on the map, rerouting that section of the bike path in a way that made it too expensive to build with current bond funds, and perhaps too expensive to ever build.
Old 01-20-15, 08:43 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
The facts have not changed from your previous thread:

Originally posted by Doug 64
What you did not say is that they want to build the bike path on the Farmers' land. This would be through eminent domain. This was their plan "B" after using railroad right-of-way fell through. One farmer would have to move 6 greenhouses on his small 40 acre farm.

The proposed path not only is planned to be built on private property, but it is land that is zoned as "Exclusive Farm Use Zone".

I was at the first public meeting, and although I'm a bike advocate; I really felt that the proponents of the bike path really went about this in the wrong way. My perception is that they were going to do something, even if it is wrong, rather than loose the $$. There are actually some better alternatives that they did not consider! I've ridden the road that parallels the proposed route many times, and am familiar with area.

I am one of the cyclists who does like some bike paths.
Old 01-20-15, 11:19 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by tcs
My city got around to extending a long planned bike path on city park land adjacent to a city golf course. At the perfunctory public hearing, the pro- contingent was blindsided by the homeowners lining the links, who assured the city council that the bike path extension would be a natural conduit for ebola-infested zombie jihadists to infiltrate the community. The parks planning committee compromised by drawing another dotted line on the map, rerouting that section of the bike path in a way that made it too expensive to build with current bond funds, and perhaps too expensive to ever build.
I think they're better off just getting rid of those clowns that can't hit a ball straight on the Golf Course.

My aunt had a house near a golf course. She ended up putting a shield like a roll-up garage door to cover her windows on the golf course side of the house (which had nice picturesque views). And, periodically would hear a ball bouncing off of the house or window screens.

One section of the McKenzie river (Deerhorn) where I have gone boating... all the rocks on the bottom of the river are white spherical stones. In fact, I had another one plunk near my boat as I was heading down the river on one trip.

I know they have running trails and bike paths around the golf course in St. Louis, but I'm not sure it is safe to mix bikes and golfers.
Old 01-20-15, 11:34 PM
CliffordK

Can we merge the two topics?
https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...ike-paths.html

So, this is all about a Corvallis/Albany bike path?
Benton County Public Works - Corvallis to Albany Multi-Use Path

I have ridden the road. It wasn't too bad. Quite busy. I think for the most part there were good shoulders.
However, the two towns are close enough that a good bike path would be nice. It just needs to be designed in such a way to be the least interruption to the people.

Is the majority of the new path a Rails to Trails project? How could it possibly require moving greenhouses if it is following an old railroad?
Old 01-21-15, 07:02 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hmm... on the south side of the Wilamette River, Riverside Dr SW is designated as a scenic bikeway and runs at least halfway to Corvallis. So the job's already sort-of half done. I have a friend who lives along the road and the designation is why he bought there; it's narrow but lightly traveled since there are highways to do the same job. I think it would be relatively simple to extend a path from the intersection of 34 into Corvallis.
Old 01-21-15, 01:40 PM
Doug64

Can we merge the two topics?

I have ridden the road. It wasn't too bad. Quite busy. I think for the most part there were good shoulders.
However, the two towns are close enough that a good bike path would be nice. It just needs to be designed in such a way to be the least interruption to the people.

Is the majority of the new path a Rails to Trails project? How could it possibly require moving greenhouses if it is following an old railroad?

It is NOT a rails-to-trails path. It is proposed to be located all on private property.

The original plan, the one you posted a link to, was to locate the trail on an active railroad right-of-way. If the proponents would have looked at the history of working with the railroad on bike related projects, they would not have wasted their time.

This article from the Albany Democrat Herald will give you an idea of the issues:
Path that would connect Corvallis and Albany draws objections from farmers : Local

Also a search of the paper's archives will give several perspectives from people who actually live in area.
Search

Last edited by Doug64; 01-21-15 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 02:53 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Doug64
It is NOT a rails-to-trails path. It is proposed to be located all on private property.
Something just doesn't add up.

Here is the original feasibility study. Clearly "Rails to Trails".
https://www.railstotrails.org/resour...r.ashx?id=4030

And, see on the Google Map, I've circled the old railroad line.

In fact, the RR seems to go in front of the Garland Nursery. Are they one of the ones making the complaints?

Ahhh....

The path would be aligned with the existing Union Pacific Railroad that parallels Highway 20.

So they're it doing along the railway, and not on the railway. Many railways have service roads along them.

Looking at the Google Map again, it looks like there is a wide right-of-way just northwest of the RR.

The right-of-way isn't displayed on the map going through the Nursery. However, I wonder if the Nursery managed to build on an existing right-of-way, and now are complaining that the buildings are on land that is part of the RR right-of-way.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to right-of-ways, but I know that the road in front of my parent's house has a wide right-of-way, extending about 20 feet into their property. Not a big deal. They still maintain the property as if it was theirs, but they don't build on that part of the property.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
CorvallisAlbanyRR.gif (75.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: gif
Right-of-Way.gif (56.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by CliffordK; 01-21-15 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 02:53 PM
Doug64

Originally Posted by cobolman
SALEM, Ore. (AP) — A group of Corvallis-area farmers is asking the Oregon Transportation Commission to cancel a $2 million grant for a public bicycle and hiking path that would cross their properties.

The Corvallis Gazette-Times reports a dozen people with the group spoke against the Corvallis to Albany path during a hearing Thursday on funding from ConnectOregon, a lottery supported transportation program.

The farmers say the path would be a business hardship and raise concerns about safety and criminal activity.

A Transportation Department official who oversees the program, Chris Cummings, says he's not aware of any grants being revoked as a result of such requests.
I have to ask; what is the purpose of this post?
Old 01-21-15, 03:00 PM
Doug64

Something just doesn't add up.

Here is the original feasibility study. Clearly "Rails to Trails".
https://www.railstotrails.org/resour...r.ashx?id=4030

And, see on the Google Map, I've circled the old railroad line.

In fact, the RR seems to go in front of the Garland Nursery. Are they one of the ones making the complaints?

Ahhh....

So they're doing along the railway, and not on the railway. Many railways have service roads along them.

Looking at the Google Map again, it looks like there is a wide right-of-way just northwest of the RR.

The right-of-way isn't displayed on the map going through the Nursery. However, I wonder if the Nursery managed to build on an existing right-of-way, and now are complaining that the buildings are on land that is part of the RR right-of-way.

Read the title of the report:"Rails With Trails. The original proposal was never intended to be a rails-to-trails project. Originally the path was to be located next to an active rail line on the railroad right-of way. It would have bikes and trains. The current proposal has nothing to do with the railroad or railroad property. The current proposal is on private land!

The rail road will not let the proponents use their right-of -way! It is NOT an "old railroad! It is an active busy rail line. The map you are showing is out of date and the currant proposal will have nothing to do with the rail road right-of-way. That was Plan "A"; they are trying Plan "B" now. They are scrambling to get something, even if does not make sense, done before they loose the money. From what I could gather at the hearing, the proponents applied for the funds before finalizing an agreement with the railroad, which fell through.

We have approached the railroad on other bike related projects, and have not had any success. I'm not sure why the proponents of this project thought it would be any different. I don't remember any service roads along this section of track. It probably isn't needed with a major highway 50' away. If they had a service road, I seriously doubt that they would allow it to be part of a designated bike path.

It is not Garland Nursery where the green houses were impacted. Trespass onto railroad right-of-way or encroachment by the private land owners are not an issue in this project. The proposal is to locate the path on private property. I don't know this for sure, but I suspect Garland might be OK with this. They have a pretty wide clear space between their main facilities and the railroad tracks. However, this is just speculation on my part. I know I'm glad we are on bikes when we go by there or my wife would want to stop. Luckily you can't carry many plants on a bike.

But she has found a way to overcome this limitation

Last edited by Doug64; 01-21-15 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 03:03 PM
CliffordK

Ok...
I guess it is not on the railroad right-of-way either.

Path that would connect Corvallis and Albany draws objections from farmers
Initially, the idea was to put the path inside the right of way of the Willamette & Pacific Railroad, which parallels Highway 20 between Corvallis and Albany. But the Willamette & Pacific was merely leasing the tracks, and after making some early headway with the W&P, county officials found themselves dealing with the Union Pacific Railroad, which owns the line.
The Union Pacific, it turned out, had no interest in allowing a bike path through its right of way.
So the county reverted to what Modrell calls “our fallback position,” which was to run the path alongside the railroad right of way, where officials felt there would be the least disruption to private landowners.
That decision went largely unnoticed at the time, especially since little progress toward actually building the path was made in the years that followed. So far, the only segment of the 9.5-mile path that’s been completed is a short stretch in the northeast corner of Corvallis, which runs from Circle Boulevard past Cheldelin Middle School to the city limits at Manchester Street, a half-mile south of Denison Farms.
And, apparently it is easier to take the land from the farmers than getting it from the railroad.
Old 01-21-15, 03:54 PM
CliffordK

When I was living in Springfield, about 3 blocks from the RR, I would regularly jog along the access road that went along the RR, then jump over onto the Weyerhaeuser Road which went on for miles. I think once I saw a RR maintenance crew on the access road, and I avoided it for those few days. Otherwise, I don't think I ever saw it used. And, I would have avoided the logging road if they were rolling trucks on it.

I suppose I could imagine liability issues getting bikes close to the RR, but the state needs to figure out a way to convince the RR that they will be providing a benefit to them. I.E. Providing an access road + maintenance to their facilities capable of being used by the the RR equipment, and allowing the bike path to be closed in sections for a couple of days a year as needs arise. And, also allowing for future expansion of the RR should that become viable.

Ohhh...
I think I found the greenhouses.
THOSE ARE BIG.

It appears as if there is too much thinking in straight lines.

No need to plow through the middle of a greenhouse.

Follow the existing ditches, treelines, and property lines, and undeveloped property.

Provide a bit of extra scenery for the bike path.
And the least interruption for the existing homeowners.

For commuting, a straight line is nice.
For recreation, not as important.
And, I'll give up a bit to get off of the busy roads and away from the crowds.

I think the reality is that it is nice to have a bike path in one's subdivision, but not on one's own property. Unfortunately, that means either cutting across someone's lawn, or cutting off access to the path to the small communities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Greenhouses.jpg (100.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg
Greenhouses2.jpg (99.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-21-15, 04:03 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I know they have running trails and bike paths around the golf course in St. Louis, but I'm not sure it is safe to mix bikes and golfers.
Here's how our town deals with that problem along the bike path:
Old 01-21-15, 04:52 PM
Doug64

When I was living in Springfield, about 3 blocks from the RR, I would regularly jog along the access road that went along the RR, then jump over onto the Weyerhaeuser Road which went on for miles. I think once I saw a RR maintenance crew on the access road, and I avoided it for those few days. Otherwise, I don't think I ever saw it used. And, I would have avoided the logging road if they were rolling trucks on it.

I suppose I could imagine liability issues getting bikes close to the RR, but the state needs to figure out a way to convince the RR that they will be providing a benefit to them. I.E. Providing an access road + maintenance to their facilities capable of being used by the the RR equipment, and allowing the bike path to be closed in sections for a couple of days a year as needs arise. And, also allowing for future expansion of the RR should that become viable.

Ohhh...
I think I found the greenhouses.
THOSE ARE BIG.

It appears as if there is too much thinking in straight lines.

No need to plow through the middle of a greenhouse.

Follow the existing ditches, treelines, and property lines, and undeveloped property.

Provide a bit of extra scenery for the bike path.
And the least interruption for the existing homeowners.

For commuting, a straight line is nice.
For recreation, not as important.
And, I'll give up a bit to get off of the busy roads and away from the crowds.

I think the reality is that it is nice to have a bike path in one's subdivision, but not on one's own property. Unfortunately, that means either cutting across someone's lawn, or cutting off access to the path to the small communities.
I agree. The proponents have not seriously considered other alternatives. Why not work with ODOT and install rumble strips (in the right places), and widen the shoulders. Also there are other, although longer, routes on existing secondary roads that will work.

I'm also sorry if I came across too strongly or the wrong way.

I'm just concerned that pushing this proposal through will damage the good relations that cyclists have established with the communities. Regardless if the local people have an iron in the fire or not, they will tend to take one side or the other. Maybe not actively, but they will think about it. IMO few folks will be neutral in their thoughts on the project.

I'm also wondering what is the purpose of the OP posting a short blurb form a non-local newspaper. What is he/she looking for?