Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is the Reason You Ride a Bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What is the Reason You Ride a Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 12:30 PM
ho hum
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I had my sixth birthday, my father took me into town to let me pick out a birthday present. We went to the Gamble’s store downtown and spent some time looking at the things in the store and he guided me towards the bikes. I found a nice ‘banana seat sting-ray’ style bike that I wanted. On the way up to the check out stand I saw a beautiful truck and trailer rig in the other toys. It took me almost half an hour to decide to get the bike or the truck. I finally decided to get the bike.

We got home and took the bike out of the trunk and got it all adjusted. We lived at the end of a dirt road on a little hill. I had never ridden a bike before. I got on the bike and after a little push from my father; I went pedaling down the hill as fast as I could go. I was headed straight for the back of the neighbor’s pickup and everyone was yelling; “Put on the brakes, put on the brakes!” I slammed into the back of the truck and it took me almost a month to learn to master the art of riding a bike after that.

I would go out, get on, pedal a couple of times and fall over. I thought I would never get the hang of it. It was a great day when I was finally able to do it! It was another great day when I could ride all of the way up the hill without getting off to walk too.

I can recall many fun days spent with my friends on our bikes. We would ride the 16 miles round trip to the swimming pool in town. I carried a large snapping turtle home one day on my bike’s handle bars and kept it from biting me. We would go to the top of Virgil’s hill and defy death by riding our bikes down it. We would pretend to be Indy car drivers on the sidewalks of the church and go around and around in circles and race all afternoon. We built jumps. I even tried riding my bike off of a large loading ramp that was used to load tractors onto semi truck trailers. I don’t know how I missed the trip to the doctor on that one. Bikes were a sense of freedom. They allowed us to get out and go places and be away from town.

I have always enjoyed riding bikes. I got out of the habit of riding them for almost 15 years. Then, I suffered a tough injury to my knee. I ruptured my patellar tendon. I gained almost 40 pounds and started having trouble with my blood sugar. I was having trouble with being depressed and not feeling good.

I got a bike. I rode it. I had as much fun as I used to have. You can smell the smells, see things you would miss in a car, push yourself to new levels of performance be alone and think, and have a great day.

I wear cycling clothes. I have a nice bike. I am lighter, healthier and happier because of my hobby. I get ribbed by my dad and my kids about how the ‘clothes make the man’ when I am dressed up in my stuff. My dad told me that I wouldn’t catch him in clothes like that. And I replied he wouldn’t be able to catch me either. Fun…. That’s why I do it. I like the air, the freedom, the quiet, the smells, the sights and doing it alone where I am the one who is pushing against myself and imposing the goals and the standards that I choose.

I just love the whole package. Why do you cycle?

Last edited by ho hum; 11-22-05 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-22-05, 12:37 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice story

I ride because I enjoy it.

I like going fast and I like doing that under my own power. You can drive fast but you really don't get that sense of speed until you are the one generating the power to make you go fast. Cornering downhill at 30+mph is another reason
Old 11-22-05, 12:41 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm a guy - gotta ride something! I was told bikes were preferable many wives ago.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-22-05, 12:45 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
it's just such an awesome invention.
Old 11-22-05, 01:21 PM
iamtim

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've always rode bikes. I didn't get my driver's license until after I was 18 because I was racing BMX and considering going pro. Once I got my license, my BMX career was shot. Well, my license and a girlfriend. :-)
Old 11-22-05, 01:29 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
https://thecuda.com/Cycling.html -- my story.
Old 11-22-05, 01:31 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I enjoy getting out in the countryside, talking to the cows, talking to myself. It's my favorite form of exercise.

Oh, and it gives me the perfect excuse to wear loud spandex in public and drop $275 on sunglasses.
Old 11-22-05, 01:32 PM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride purely for fun. Not for exercise, though it's a nice side effect. Not to train for anything. Just because I enjoy it. Maybe someday, I'll train for something or have some other reason for riding (to get to work, perhaps). But for now, no reason other than enjoyment.
Old 11-22-05, 01:33 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was given a C'dale and it would sit there all lonely and stuff if I didn't.
Old 11-22-05, 01:35 PM
badkarma
Know Your Onion!

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Motobecane Le Champion SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I initially took it up as a way to stay in shape b/c I was sick of running, and now it's nothing shy of an addiction. Now I'm 16 lbs lighter, a lot faster, and loving it more and more by the day. Plus, being on the bike offers some of the best scenery to occupy myself with as I ride; it's just not the same when you try to enjoy the scenery in a car.
Old 11-22-05, 01:37 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
"Because it feels good when I stop." Seriously, that post ride high is great.
Old 11-22-05, 01:38 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ho hum
I just love the whole package. Why do you cycle?
Exactly! Cycling allows me to wear lycra, which is the only socially acceptable way that I know to show off my "whole package"!
Old 11-22-05, 01:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I ride my bike to ride my bike.
Old 11-22-05, 02:19 PM
simplyred
Lanterne Rouge

Bikes: Time VX Edge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm...
Because of him - he showed me how strong a human body really is.
So I'm trying to prove him wrong - just like the French
So far he's been right...

That - and for keeping in shape...
Old 11-22-05, 02:22 PM
SteveAZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because I've beat the piss out of my body and that's just about all that's left that gives me that satisfaction of speed and pushing myself to a physical goal that I can actually do without to much discomfort.
Old 11-22-05, 03:04 PM
LSPR_MTU
whzzzzzzzzz-bam!

Bikes: Trek 1000, Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the story. I started riding regularly about 6 mos ago, partially for rehabilitating my shin splints, and partially because I see riders every sunday morning speeding down my road. (I live right on a 33 mile loop which winds around lake Monroe, it's awesome)

I'm finally able to start running gently again, but I'll keep up the cycling.

My dad lost 50 lbs. over about 8 mos when he first started cycling about 7 years ago, he had a Gary Fisher comfort bike. He eventually got into running, and he's since run about 6 full marathons. I became injured after only my first, but hopefully cycling will keep me healthy for my next one. I figure I've got about 20 years to catch up.

He's seen my nice new bike, and I think I may have sparked an interest in cycling. hehe. I'll let you guys know when he qualifies for Le Tour!

Last edited by LSPR_MTU; 11-22-05 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-22-05, 03:15 PM
timwat

Bikes: Giant TCR CF, Raleigh Fixie, Bridgestone Radac, Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate the melodrama of this response myself, but the main reason I ride is to try to extend my life. The details are boring and interesting to no one but myself, but it sums up as involving serious pulmonary illness and effectively cheating death.
Old 11-22-05, 03:15 PM
dragonflybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It partly comes down to the exercise and the competition. When I am in shape I feel much happier, and have a lot more energy, I look better too, and I can get more work done. Playing basketball could help keep me in shape but it beats my body up. Then there is the whole competitive side of me. Even if I don't ever do another race there is always a hill to try and beat others up, or when you start riding with a faster group, just trying to keep up. It also gives me something personal to focus on and of course something to spend my money on. I would consider swimming but there just don't really seem to be organized groups going out and swimming, (and it just wouldn't be the same or as much fun).
Old 11-22-05, 03:19 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've commuted by bike most of my adult life, and over the years, I've fallen in love with almost every aspect of the sport, hobby, mechanics, industry and variety. I ride nearly every day, spend even more time doing mechanical work on them, and sometimes just sit and look at them like I would a Rodin sculpture. I'm a bike nut. It's funny, too, because I work as an auto mechanic.
Old 11-22-05, 03:20 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like it.
Old 11-22-05, 03:26 PM
Chicocreole

Bikes: Old Steel?, Currently building up a sweet Deda Aluminum Carbon frame that I will break as soon as it is done!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started cycling for a form of Bodybuilding cardio cause I hate running I just wanted to get down to 6% bodyfat to see if I was good enough to compete on stage.

Instead I got addicted to cycling, and now I don't lift enough!

Been doing the Cardi-Commute for 2 years now!
Old 11-22-05, 03:40 PM
iceberg
n00b

Bikes: Felt F65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveAZ
Because I've beat the piss out of my body and that's just about all that's left that gives me that satisfaction of speed and pushing myself to a physical goal that I can actually do without to much discomfort.
Amen to that.

I started playing ice hockey as a way to help me get in shape and have some fun. I kept getting injured because my body wasn't up to the challenge. I tore up my right shoulder pretty bad, so the doc said to find something else, so I got a bicycle. Enjoying it so far.
Old 11-22-05, 03:46 PM
was_bmxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my first race at the BMX track in 1979, aged 7. Still have the medal from it. I think every rider got a medal back then, didn't matter where you finished. Still have a BMX, last race was in late 2003.

Have been addicted to bikes my whole life. Cars & motorbikes can come and go. Have been to the USA, Australia, NZ and all over Europe, with my bike. Places that BMX, road and some mountain biking have taken me is amazing. I would ride if the effects of it were of no benifit, if it made me fat and killed me off, I would still do it. The fact that I am fit & strong is a added bonus. I race my road bike every second weekend, (could do 2 races a week now that it is summer). Have made many lifelong friends that share the same interests.

I can meet my father in the park and do some laps, he is 71 years old. I take my daughter with us in a child seat some times. It is in the blood.
Old 11-22-05, 03:50 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
I ride for exercise and fun..no racing here..just an old fat guy trying to get my body where it should be. I don't plan to stop riding once I get there.

― Bruce Lee
Old 11-22-05, 04:00 PM
14max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really began cycling at the age of 6 on a metallic red Schwinn Sting Ray. Beautiful metal flake with a metallic white cover banana seat and big swooping chrome handlebars. I rode it until the tires wore out then I rode it some more until the darn thing finally broke. I then graduated to a P.K. Ripper, then to a GT Pro, a CW Pro, and finally a Diamond Back Pro. I stopped riding for a while and then something incredible happened. I began to take notice of cycling again because of an American in France. Greg LeMond won the Tour in 1986 (I was 16 by this time) and I got really hooked again. I saw how colorful, fast, and exciting road racing was and I just knew I wanted to go fast. Faster than I had been able to go on my Sting Ray, et al. I wanted to experience the days of carefree riding only faster. My first bike was, again, a Schwinn. This time a Circuit. I loved it. The ride was excellent and the I felt like the king of the road. Aluminum caught my eye and before I knew it I was swapping out parts on the Circuit to a Cannondale. The old Criterium Series. What a rush. It was light(er) and nimble and would beat the crap out of me on rides over 50 miles. I just kept riding on...

In short, I ride to relive my youth. The curious side effects are better health and feeling invigorated which is really nice on days when the world wants to crush you. I ride for me and for my family so I will have the chance to be an old man with grandkids and great grandkids. That's why I ride...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.