Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Track crank for geared set up? show me what you got

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 06:58 PM
readygetsetBen

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SM2000 with drop bars and Nitto technomic stem; 194? CCM Step Through; ???? Stumpjumper (currently frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hey I'm curious to see if anyone has tried using a track crank for a geared setup, either 1x or some how 2x.
If you've done this please let me/us know how and drop a pic.
Thanks everybody!!
Old 01-24-17, 08:18 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Track crank for road is not an issue. If you want a freewheel/freehub for additional gears (as opposed to an internally geared rear hub), you'll want to use a road chainring, though, as true track chainrings use wider chain than road rings. As long as the bolt-circle diameters and number of mounting bolts match, rings will be interchangeable between road and track cranks. You can mount additional rings on track cranks using longer mounting bolts and a longer bottom bracket spindle to get the needed frame clearance.

In short, it can be done. But depending on your actual goal, it may be more cost-effective to simply use a road crank and bottom bracket.
Old 01-24-17, 09:47 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
true track chainrings use wider chain than road rings
Exactly.
Single speed chains are 1/8 inch wide, for fixed gear, track, bmx, and coaster brake bikes. The cranks and cogs are correspondingly wider.
Derailleur chains are 3/32 wide.

Therefore, the narrower derailleur chain probably won't mesh with the chainring on your track crank.

Also, you could have an issue with chain line.
Track and fixie frames use a 120 mm rear hub width, because they only need room for one cog.
Derailleur road frames use a 126 mm (up to 6 speed) or 130 mm (7-10 speed) hub width, because they have to fit more cogs.

So, track and fixie cranks usually are designed for a narrower chain line than a crank meant for a derailleur system. What this means is that the track crank will be very close to the centerline of the bike, whereas you want the chain line to be nearer the center of the cogset in the rear.
So, even if you use a road chainring with the proper pitch, you'd probably need a longer bottom bracket spindle with your track crank.

So, using a track crank on a derailleur bike can be done, but it will involve some adaptation. Some folks still do it if they love the look of a specific track crank. For example, my friend hoards Campagnolo BMX cranks.

But you'd probably end up with a cheaper solution if you just find an old road crankset.
Old 01-24-17, 11:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
+1) Real Track is for 1/8" chain, if you build an Internal geared hub rear wheel that also can use 1/8" chains.

Other than that , you need to replace the chainring on that crank.. to allow a 3/32" chain to slip over the teeth.
Old 01-24-17, 12:42 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa
Exactly.
Single speed chains are 1/8 inch wide, for fixed gear, track, bmx, and coaster brake bikes. The cranks and cogs are correspondingly wider.
Not completely correct. There are plenty of dedicated single speed specific cranks, chain rings, and cogs that are designed specifically for 3/32 inch.

White industries, widely considered the premier Single speed freewheel manufacturer, builds all their freewheels to accommodate 3/32 inch chains. Standard.

The modern industry standard coaster brake, the Shimano CB-E110 hubs use a cog designed for a 3/32 inch chain. I have a few.

Many Single speed specific cranks are sold with single speed specific chain rings that are designed for 3/32 inch chain. I have a few.

KMC designs and markets a number of 3/32 inch chains as "Single speed/track/fixie/BMX " specific. I use the 7610HX. Great chain BTW.

These all have 3/32 drive trains.

Old 01-24-17, 02:20 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Not completely correct. There are plenty of dedicated single speed specific cranks, chain rings, and cogs that are designed specifically for 3/32 inch.

White industries, widely considered the premier Single speed freewheel manufacturer, builds all their freewheels to accommodate 3/32 inch chains. Standard.

The modern industry standard coaster brake, the Shimano CB-E110 hubs use a cog designed for a 3/32 inch chain. I have a few.

Many Single speed specific cranks are sold with single speed specific chain rings that are designed for 3/32 inch chain. I have a few.

KMC designs and markets a number of 3/32 inch chains as "Single speed/track/fixie/BMX " specific. I use the 7610HX. Great chain BTW.

Thanks for cluing me in! I'm not really up on single speed stuff, I just know the old standards.
Old 01-27-17, 03:19 PM
readygetsetBen

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SM2000 with drop bars and Nitto technomic stem; 194? CCM Step Through; ???? Stumpjumper (currently frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for your expertise guys! I know it's way cheaper to just find a road crank, I just wanted to know if this sort of thing can be done. If anyone has done it I'd love to see!