Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Are there any Pro Cycling primers for dumb-butts like me

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 08:40 PM
donhaller 

Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts

I have watched various tours over the years with some interest, but want to know more about the teams, how the riders and teams pick races, details about race organization, nuts and bolts of how it all fits together. Any places to start learning so I can follow this season with some sort of intelligence of what is happening.
Old 01-11-18, 06:05 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I cannot recommend any specific site .... google away. There are people here who could and might answer any question you might ask .... if you are thick-skinned.
Old 01-11-18, 09:57 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I'll try on a few from my view.
I don't know how much you follow other sports, but in pro cycling the gamesmanship is less accepted. So in soccer - it is the players job to use their hands to prevent a goal, and in turn get a PK, and thrown out. In cycling cheating is not OK, so to win, it needs to appear to be done correctly. The intrigue is nobody knows, so that is a good 30% of what everyone is watching.

Then....
There is the winning part vs the going fast part. Pro cycling is about winning, more so about getting the sponsor to win. There are a number of juniors (age 18) that are faster than pro cyclists, just that they are faster at the 1 hour mark, not 5 hours, 5+ days in a row. So it is really not so much about speed. Although they are pretty fast. But consider the TdF winners are late 20s, early 30s vs early 20s peak male power and speed age. And it takes wisdom to win. So depending one what you want to watch, older can be better. Ability to endure the grind of pro life and travel and loyalty is super important.

Most pro races are team races. When a rider on the team wins, the rider that was dropped (one that same team) wins, especially if they helped, or got camera time. This is a hard one to understand for many (USA) athletes. There are individual stats kept and some individuates show better than the ones that win more so you have to figure what being better means. Does it mean getting paid more, or winning more? Peter Sagan and Froome are often not the rider with the most points. Sometimes they are. I think the best riders are the ones that generate the most revenue. Silly judgement, but it is a job. And I think that is how most those that race see it.

Because money is tight, teams tend to do what will ensure sponsors come back. Appear clean. Look cool. Brings eyes to the sponsor. Sagan almost getting time cut doing wheelies is very valuable. So is being off the front and getting caught.

So a team is first looking for reasons why someone will sponsor them. The staff other than the riders are hugely important in marketing and recruiting. Then they balance the team to get the sponsors happy. Only a few can really contend for the GC. Some will build around a sprinter, TTT, show - it depends. In the end, it is primarily about money to support a habit.

Ask more specific details and I'll give my opinion. There are some ex-pros here. I am a fat old dad, but been a spectator for years and got to know some and been close enough to a few that I have enough data to support my opinions. But that is what they are - opinions.

It is hard to get money. And harder as the association with how the sport is done is rough for sponsors.
Old 01-12-18, 04:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

^ I approve this message.
Old 01-16-18, 07:28 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
As I've gotten into following pro races, there are two sites I go to often. One is Ciclismo International, which gives really nice, brief summaries of race favorites. Knowing each race's favorites, and a little about why they're favorites, really helps me enjoy the race. At first most of the names of favorites were little known to me, so I also often went to PCS, where I'd search a rider's name and look at their results over time. I've also read velonews/cyclingnews/cyclingtips for general news; each has strengths and weaknesses, as well as a little bias towards news about their home country.

I think for the nuts and bolts of how it all fits together, you might want to find a book or two written by a recently retired pro. The way the sport is organized, who controls the races, how the anti-doping efforts work, etc. is incredibly complex, and unlike any other sport. And it changes constantly. This is one funky sport.
Old 01-22-18, 10:56 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Chris Horner's book "Reading the Race" is one I have recommended to several entry level racers. It's also good for fans and even racers who have been doing it for a while but have stepped up the type of racing they are doing ie. more miles on a team type.
You can get it on Amazon. For one stop shopping with a sense of humor (he's pretty funny) I would say get that book.
Old 01-24-18, 01:44 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
The "How The Race Was Won" channel on youtube really gives a wealth of cycling analysis, and is entertaining with it.

There's even a "How to watch a bike race" video.

Old 01-24-18, 07:26 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
A bit before the TdF, each of the cycling mags will come out with a special issue on the event with a writeup of each stage and lists of the teams invited & riders they expect will get sent (sometimes this is incorrect if someone got sick or injured in the month or so leading up). That won't happen until June but keep and eye out for them because it's really useful for following the race.
Old 01-24-18, 09:06 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Check out the GCN network on YouTube. Lots of behind the scenes interviews, bus tours, training camps etc.
Old 01-26-18, 06:12 PM
Maelochs

During a race CyclingNews usually has text updates every so often, and often has a graphic showing who is in the break, which can be handy. A lot of the big races have the same service on their own sites, plus chats showing the stage profile and where on it the riders are, and gaps if there aren't to many groups. This can help keeping track of where everybody is and which way they are going.

Some stages you get a big break and attacks from the break and couple groups trying to bridge to the break, and with riders moving up and falling back it can get confusing.

i don't know how this site does it but on a lot of auto racing sites I visit, posters will give you up-to-the minute complaints about everything and explain in detail why you cannot possibly enjoy the event. It's handy.
Old 01-26-18, 06:58 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Watch these: Education Done

Old 01-26-18, 10:32 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Mark Cavendish, always a sprinter to watch and fun to root for, says of the route for this year's TdF that it's, "ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL. Some of the toughest stages I’ve ever seen. Sure not many sprinters in Paris." So, that sounds like a lot of climbing and that takes a big toll on all the riders so... it's anyone's guess who will win-- could even mean teams will play less of a role and individual performances will rule the day.
Old 01-26-18, 10:38 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Cav's machine for 2018:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cavs machine 2018.jpg (185.5 KB, 42 views)