Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Australia - New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Melbourne - where to stay?

Search
Notices
Australia - New Zealand Australia - New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 09:51 PM
donhaller 

Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts

I'll be in Melbourne vicinity for a month working in Watsonia. Some guys are staying in town but I thought I'd stay in Heidelberg and maybe bike to work while there. Is this a good or bad idea? Any recommendations? In downtown Melbourne or out closer to the job site? I've never been to AU and plan to bring my bike. Any other recommendations considered.
Thanks
Old 01-17-18, 04:52 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
I have family in Melbourne and I visit there each year. There isn't a Hotel/Motel in Heidelberg that I can see (EDIT: OK, now I see a B&B in Heidelberg but its not particularly close or convenient to anything). There are shops and some restaurants in Heidelberg but not really much nightlife. 2 bars that I can see.

Anyway, when in Melbourne I stay at BreakFree Hotel on Bell Street in Preston. Part of Bell City as there are 2 Hotels there from Budget to 4 star. I stay in the Budget rooms which are small but inexpensive. There are roomier and slightly more expensive to 4 star options. These 2 Hotels are approx. 7 km from Watsonia and 400m from the route 86 tram that runs from the city past Watsonia out to Bundoora. Its a decent walk from the tram line to Watsonia but it will depend exactly where in Watsonia you are working.

You could cycle from Preston to Watsonia up Plenty Road. Melbourne is a cycle friendly city but you still need basic common sense and alertness. Some roads such as Bell street itself I wouldn't recommend for cycling but there are other ways to go. Either side of Bell City there are two creeks, Merri Creek and Darebin Creek that have extensive cycle ways running up and down them so you could do some extensive cycling off the roads.

From Bell City on the tram back towards downtown you go down High Street through Thornbury and Northcote which has a vibrant Restaurant and live music scene.

Disadvantages? Depending on exactly where in Watsonia you will be it may not be that convenient for public transport. (EDIT: Actually you could catch a bus across from Bell city to Heidelberg and then the Train up to Watsonia. You'd have to check the timetables for connections)

WHat's your budget or is someone else paying for accommodation?
Theres a bunch of Hotels near the North Richmond Train Station which would be conveniently between the city and on the Train line to Watsonia although I don't know If i would cycle from North Richmond to Watsonia.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 01-17-18 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-17-18, 07:37 AM
donhaller 

We will be in the area around Simpson Barracks
Old 01-17-18, 05:00 PM
AnthonyG

Originally Posted by donhaller
We will be in the area around Simpson Barracks
OK, well that's not going to be convenient for the Plenty Road trams. Its south of Watsonia and the closest train station is Macleod which is 2 km to the Barracks.

Cycling there from Bell City is still fine, just using a different Road than Bell Street. Bell Street is a major cross city road in the area at most times of the day.

The B&B in Heidelberg is close to the Barracks however while Melbourne is a cycle friendly city I (EDIT)wouldn't put Rosanna Rd or Lower Plenty Rd on a list of cycle friendly Roads.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 01-17-18 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-17-18, 05:15 PM
AnthonyG

GOOD news. I took a closer look at the bus routes instead of trams and trains. The 513 bus route running across Bell Street past Bell City Preston turns up Rosanna Road and Greensbourough Road so no changing as its the most convenient public transport in the area. If you stayed at the Heidelberg B&B it would also be very convenient.

I'm not sure if the cycle from Heidelberg to the Barracks would be fun but you would be going against most of the traffic so it may not be that bad. Bell City is MUCH closer to the night life though.
Old 01-17-18, 09:32 PM
donhaller 

Originally Posted by AnthonyG
GOOD news. I took a closer look at the bus routes instead of trams and trains. The 513 bus route running across Bell Street past Bell City Preston turns up Rosanna Road and Greensbourough Road so no changing as its the most convenient public transport in the area. If you stayed at the Heidelberg B&B it would also be very convenient.

I'm not sure if the cycle from Heidelberg to the Barracks would be fun but you would be going against most of the traffic so it may not be that bad. Bell City is MUCH closer to the night life though.
Thanks AnthonyG Your information is very helpful. I'm still exploring and have a week or so to make reservations.
Old 01-18-18, 03:55 AM
AnthonyG

Originally Posted by donhaller
Thanks AnthonyG Your information is very helpful. I'm still exploring and have a week or so to make reservations.
The Heidelberg B&B is close to where you will be working and will be convenient if you just want to work and take things quietly. There's a Supermarket, shops, restaurants and a couple of bars there. Its not completely isolated but its not the Melbourne rated as one of the Worlds most liveable cities either. Travelling from the B&B and on a Train into the City would be like an hour long trip assuming you didn't just miss a train. Miss a train and its another 20 minute wait.

Looking down the train line to the City there isn't much life either until your right in the City.

Getting from Bell City Preston into the city can be an hour long trip as well yet the advantage of Bell city is that you don't need to go into the city to find some night life. You just need to go 1-2 km or so down High street.

If you stay in the City you will be right in the heart of the night life but you will be looking at a 1 hour plus commute to get to Watsonia.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 01-18-18 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-19-18, 08:01 AM
AnthonyG

I was having another look at the area. There is a cycle path/footpath option to get from Heidelberg up to Yallambie and Watsonia. It probably would be a nice ride. Still a long way from any night life though.