Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike shop owner says my bike isn't good enough. Looking for second opinion.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike shop owner says my bike isn't good enough. Looking for second opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-18, 06:30 PM
Bring A Bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Needs new tires. Smallest chainring looks fairly compact relative to the others and should be a suitable granny gear. I'd service the freewheel as well as the hubs if they haven't been looked at. Some Kool Stop brake pads would also be good if the others are not strong enough or too worn down. When you load up with weight you'll know whether or not you need to upgrade your pads. You could also get some brake boosters to add some rigidity and braking power. Everything else is up to personal preference.

Bike shop owner wants to sell you a bike, IMO. It's good enough as it is. It could be better with upgrades or changes to complement your riding style, but otherwise seems perfectly suitable.
Old 03-16-18, 09:49 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
As everyone else has mentioned, owner trying to sell you a new bike. I didn't much prefer that half step gearing crank on my Miyata, but that is an easy change if you decide you don't like it. More gears are nicer, but so long as you have the overall range, the only benefit you get is is the option to pick something that keeps your desired cadence a but more closely. I wouldn't hesitate to ride that thing cross country, so long as it was in good repair.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Oh, I'd probably buy a half dozen 27 x 1 1/4 tubes. The 700c tubes will work in a pinch, but might as well start with a supply of the right tubes.
I don't understand all this advice. I own a pile of 27" bikes. Every single tube 27" marked tube I have ever bought for them is also labelled for 700, generally something like 28-32. Tubes for 700x32 is all you need for a 27x1-1/4.

As far as tires, most shops around me still sell 27" if you need one in an emergency. Hardware shops and department stores often still stock the Bell/Schwinn/Other Pacific brand folders.

Ifyou are planning your trip ahead of time, lots of options are available online. I personally like Paselas, I know Contis and Schwalbe and Vittorias exist as well.
Old 03-17-18, 08:42 AM
SEAJAYBIKE

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to give the owner some credit. Few bike shop owners are solely out there trying to screw people. They are generally a good bunch with a wide range of business skills. The owner may have been trying (maybe in a ham handed way) to warn you that the bike may no longer be safe for a cross country trip.
I would say the bike was up to the job a couple decades ago. It MAY functionally make the trip but old stuff breaks and safety is a factor to consider. Keep in mind that all the parts are ancient.

You should ask yourself honestly... On what mountain pass descent are you OK with the fact that the frame, fork, wheels, spokes, stem, bars may be close to, or well past their fatigue life? Metal has a fatigue life. And you are about to try the equivalent of loading down a '74 Pinto and driving it cross country.
No Ford dealer in their right mind would recommend that....and it wouldn't be just to sell you a new car.

Yes, old bikes have made this trip. Its also true that old bikes have failed on trips. Just my two cents worth.
Old 03-17-18, 09:21 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by SEAJAYBIKE
I'm going to give the owner some credit. Few bike shop owners are solely out there trying to screw people. They are generally a good bunch with a wide range of business skills. The owner may have been trying (maybe in a ham handed way) to warn you that the bike may no longer be safe for a cross country trip.
I would say the bike was up to the job a couple decades ago. It MAY functionally make the trip but old stuff breaks and safety is a factor to consider. Keep in mind that all the parts are ancient.

You should ask yourself honestly... On what mountain pass descent are you OK with the fact that the frame, fork, wheels, spokes, stem, bars may be close to, or well past their fatigue life? Metal has a fatigue life. And you are about to try the equivalent of loading down a '74 Pinto and driving it cross country.
No Ford dealer in their right mind would recommend that....and it wouldn't be just to sell you a new car.

Yes, old bikes have made this trip. Its also true that old bikes have failed on trips. Just my two cents worth.
Age doesn't cause fatigue, stress does. A touring bike whose original finish is totally pristine is pretty unlikely to have serious fatigue issues.
Old 03-17-18, 09:24 AM
professorbob

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A 520 is a one of the most respected dedicated tourers
anywhere. Fact.
Old 03-17-18, 10:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Age doesn't cause fatigue, stress does. A touring bike whose original finish is totally pristine is pretty unlikely to have serious fatigue issues.
Agree.
Old 03-17-18, 11:31 AM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Bike shop owners are not primarily out to screw people, but they are out to make money, and as a side effect can end up screwing people.

Equating this bike with an old Pinto is absolute crap. If the OP had an old Vista that he was going to take across country, perhaps.

Pretty much. The bike looks like it was cared for. The rear derailleur, the rear cassette, nor the chain is original and there is some wear on the crank rings and braking surface, but not that indicate lots of hard miles, so while it was ridden it was probably maintained and not abused(as far as can be told from pics).
The tires are not all that old. The only thing that can be said about the bike shop owner is that he said the tires have some miles left in them.
Old 03-17-18, 11:45 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
An old bike could have corrosion issues to the point where a frame joint is compromised, although there would likely be external cosmetic evidence in the form of common rust spots.

If I'm considering purchase of an old steel bike, I'd try to remove seat post for two reasons - a. to make sure post isn't seized and b. shine a light down interior of seat tube to inspect for evidence of rust in the ST-BB joint area. This area is prone to rust, as rain water slung off rear tire wets seat post, runs down into seat tube and collects on the top of the bottom bracket (inside the seat tube where it's unlikely to be discovered). A little surface rust on the top side of BB is no big deal, this can result from a single wet ride. A lot of rust at this critical joint is good reason to walk away from a potential bike purchase.

The particular vintage of the OP's bike (1987 520 Cirrus) was prone to corrosion at the driveside chainstay-dropout joint, due to it's fairly unique inside-the-chainstay RD cable routing. It requires holes in the end of the chainstay for the cable/housing, which also permits water/dirt ingress. Standard RD cable routing improves upon this design weakness.
Old 03-17-18, 02:22 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Oh, I'd probably buy a half dozen 27 x 1 1/4 tubes. The 700c tubes will work in a pinch, but might as well start with a supply of the right tubes.

https://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-02046.html

Then pick up a patch kit too.
Need to be careful about buying tubes as the rims appear to be drilled for presta valves and the 27" tubes are likely to be SV. Looks like those in the link are SV.

I have a couple bikes with 27" wheels and as my preference is for presta valves, I typically buy tubes designated for 700C and don't notice any issues. Some tubes are even marketed for either size -- the difference in BSD being ony 1cm. Also, 650B tubes with PVs work fine for 590 (650A) or Schwinn 597mm rims.

In addition to a patch kit, a nice, functional pump would be good to have. The Topeak mini morph and the Zefel HPX have both worked well for me.
Old 03-17-18, 03:24 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
Need to be careful about buying tubes as the rims appear to be drilled for presta valves and the 27" tubes are likely to be SV. Looks like those in the link are SV.

I have a couple bikes with 27" wheels and as my preference is for presta valves, I typically buy tubes designated for 700C and don't notice any issues. Some tubes are even marketed for either size -- the difference in BSD being ony 1cm. Also, 650B tubes with PVs work fine for 590 (650A) or Schwinn 597mm rims.

In addition to a patch kit, a nice, functional pump would be good to have. The Topeak mini morph and the Zefel HPX have both worked well for me.
Yeah,

I searched for Presta, and Google gave me Schrader... and I didn't notice that until later

It looks like there is quite a premium for the 27" tubes...

So, you're right, it probably doesn't matter that much. I think a little longer tube may be easier to mount (assuming not too long), but perhaps it doesn't matter that much.

Still, having a few spares, especially if one is touring isn't a bad idea. When I buy supplies mail-order, I'll periodically throw in a few extra tubes if I get free shipping.
Old 03-17-18, 04:54 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Yeah,

I searched for Presta, and Google gave me Schrader... and I didn't notice that until later

So, you're right, it probably doesn't matter that much. I think a little longer tube may be easier to mount (assuming not too long), but perhaps it doesn't matter that much.

Still, having a few spares, especially if one is touring isn't a bad idea. When I buy supplies mail-order, I'll periodically throw in a few extra tubes if I get free shipping.
Extra tubes, for sure. Depending on conditions, it's quite possible to have multiple flats in one day. For a ride across the country, it may be likely.

Tough tires, too. Both puncture resistant as well as tough sidewalls. I like the Schwalbe tires though some people say that they ride as if lead lined.
Old 03-17-18, 06:01 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I also seem to remember reading a blog by a guy who rode a $79 K-Mart Huffy across the USA just a few years ago.
Old 03-17-18, 06:29 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
Need to be careful about buying tubes as the rims appear to be drilled for presta valves and the 27" tubes are likely to be SV. Looks like those in the link are SV......
if this will be an ongoing concern, not knowing what is available in local
shops while on tour, just modify the wheels.
drill out the rims to accept schraeder, with adapter inserts for presta.
(and carry a spare insert...)
PV, SV, 700c, 27"........all good.
Old 03-18-18, 06:46 AM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
I own virtually the same bike although I think mine is a few years newer with 7 speed cassette. I bought it from a 60 year old woman who rode the bike around the world. I also own a brand new, custom Marinoni touring bike with 11 speed group and I still ride the Trek a lot. I love the simplicity of the friction shift bar ends and not having to worry about scratching it.

If I had found the Trek before I ordered the Marinoni, I would have saved myself a lot of money.

I would ride the bike across the country without hesitation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trek 520.jpg (200.5 KB, 163 views)
Old 03-18-18, 06:51 AM
Mtroup

Bikes: Jones Plus, Tern Verge Tour

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Load her up and ride various terrain. You’ll find your answers pretty quickly.
Old 03-18-18, 09:32 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Macman11393
The smallest number of teeth on the back gear set is 14and the smallest amount of teeth in the front on a gear is 28. Not sure if that helps. The tires I have are armadillo and the bike shop owner says they are very high-quality tires that have been worn down a lot but still have about 1000 miles left on them.

It seems like this bike will do just fine for the tour and the owner had me very worried about the purchase I made for no reason. I'll just plan on buying new tires that should last me most of the long tour and send a set of tires to me if needed. Glad my purchase wasn't a total bunk.

Pics as requested.
that is a very good bike. My concern is that if the seat position reflects your correct leg extension the bike is simply too big regardless of its condition.

Back to the bike, everything about it looks great. What’s as important as the model and type of equipment is their actual condition which can’t be determined looking at it. If you take the wheels off and spin them are they smooth, without chain on can you feel the bottom bracket bearins run smooth, is the headset ok or pitted? Once you have a couple of those problems needing replacement you’re getting close to half the cost of a new bike. Abolutely no problem finding 27” tires or using 700 c tubes. The gear range is excellent. The fact is that you have an rpm range in your legs that is easily met with ten gears let alone 27.
Old 03-18-18, 09:53 AM
SEAJAYBIKE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HTup. A valid point if the bikes have been "resting" in a garage. This could be the case. Thanks for mentioning.
I made the assumption the bike had been ridden over the years.
Both my Bianchi frames and my one Atala frame looked fine externally when they failed from mileage at the front end of the down tube. All three in the same spot.

Shipwreck likes Pintos.
Old 03-18-18, 10:47 AM
Happy Feet

Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
You've had three good looking frames fail from internal rust in the exactly same spot?
I will just say from my experience with older bikes I find that amazing.

Sometimes you have to be concerned about damage to a frame but in this case, the photos supplied by the OP show a bike in very good condition considering its age.

I find the "rebuilding an old bike can be more expensive than buying new" a bit of a red herring myself. It assumes a person will not spend more money on a new purchase which, many times, isn't accurate or that the rebuilt bike won't be better by comparison.

For example, a new "inexpensive" bike will probably have low quality tires, seat and pedals that the tourist will want to upgrade; plus a few will redo the bar tape. That's easily $400+ extra from the base price (in CAD pricing). Take a cheap Nashbar bike at $800 that's really $1200. So there you have an entry level bike with some good components.

Add the same upgrades to a $300 bike and its $700. The only issue for the OP is he paid too much for the initial bike if considering it from a straight across financial comparison. However, the 520 is a bit of a "grail" bike in touring circles so there is an intrinsic value to that. The resale for a Trek 520 will always be better than a Nashbar entry level bike but we could say this one was bought at the high end of the scale and not the rebuild/flip end.
If I'm rebuilding a bike I always look for a low initial outlay to account for upgrades.

An old school BB replacement is $20 or a new cartridge is $50. A headset is another $50. Not every bike needs expensive name brand parts and many inexpensive new bikes don't have them either. So splurging for a CC or KK headset is the same upgrade price new or old. As it is the 520 looks to have a Deore groupset in good condition.

So you now have a $1200 new vs $800 used bike. Add $400 for an excellent quality wheelset (the most important component on a bike) and you have nearly the same price but far better bike used.

The caveat in all that is having an eye to buying low and being able to see what is cosmetic/cheap to repair and what isn't, as well as what is worth repairing and what will never be of any greater value. In this case the OP may have bought a bit high but can be comforted by having a very nice, sought after bike.

On the other side IMO regardless of price, wrenching on your bike is a great investment in being able to solve mechanical problems on the road and one down side to buying new is a reluctance to actually wrench on the bike. Being able to fix a bike is a + skill for touring in my book and rebuilding your own bike is a great way to gain that (skill).

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-18-18 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-18-18, 11:15 AM
SEAJAYBIKE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
You've had three good looking frames fail from internal rust in the exactly same spot?
I will just say from my experience with older bikes I find that amazing.
Hi Happy Feet. Not rust. Fatigue failure.
I used to put in a lot of miles. I can only assume that particular section of a frame takes a lot of flex cycles over the miles.
Old 03-18-18, 11:33 AM
Happy Feet

Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by SEAJAYBIKE
Hi Happy Feet. Not rust. Fatigue failure.
I used to put in a lot of miles. I can only assume that particular section of a frame takes a lot of flex cycles over the miles.
Odd. But then again I have had a bullhorn bar fail when people say they are virtually indestructible.
Old 03-18-18, 12:40 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
Yeah,

This is what the box that tubes comes in looks like:

Is there really a question as to whether you need specific 27" tubes?

As far as tires, I have a hard time imagining a bike shop that doesn't at least have some 27x1 1/4" gum walls in stock for all those 27" sport touring bikes that were the majority of the first US bike boom. Certainly the OP should carry a spare tire because he might not be anywhere near a bike shop, but we are talking about touring in the US.

Otherwise, the OP's Trek seems to be a quite reasonable touring bike with a fairly low gear. If he wasn't to go to seven speed the only thing he'd need to change is the freewheel and chain as the bike has friction shifting.
Old 03-18-18, 11:46 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
"His....changing from 6 to 7 in back (you) may as well buy a new bike"

Never go back to that dud.

I upgraded a 6 speed rear to 7 speed.
Cost less than $40 parts and labor. (Labor because I do not have a freewheel remover).
Your rear derailleur should have enough range for a 7 speed sprocket.
I had a used SRAM X9 rear derailleur, (I dislike Shimano, which is what the bike originally had)
A new SRAM X3 trigger shifter set was $20. The 7 speed 14/36 freewheel was $12.
Old 03-19-18, 08:00 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
"His....changing from 6 to 7 in back (you) may as well buy a new bike"

Never go back to that dud.

I upgraded a 6 speed rear to 7 speed.
I have too. Just know the frame clearance MAY NOT be there without some massaging. In my instance, I had to add a few washers to the axle to sufficiently space it out, so I didn't have chain rub on the little cog.
Old 03-19-18, 10:52 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I have too. Just know the frame clearance MAY NOT be there without some massaging. In my instance, I had to add a few washers to the axle to sufficiently space it out, so I didn't have chain rub on the little cog.
7 speed freewheels fit on 6 speed hubs and in 6 speed frames without any modification.
Old 03-19-18, 11:10 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Sand Canyon 27" tires are a good value at that price and are folding beads for easy storage. Those Sand Canyon tires are probably the nicest riding tires made in the 27" size right now. Walmart should still sell cheap 27" tires if you need another one on your trip or don't feel like spending 30$ on a tire. Amazon has plenty of selection too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.