Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gas prices going up and who cares!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gas prices going up and who cares!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18, 03:39 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
An extra $0.50/gal tax would roughly double the combined state&fed gasoline tax in the US. So I'd expect that to have a very sizable effect on transportation funding in this country.
Petrol price here is £1.15 per litre, that's about
£5.12 / $7.12 for a UK gallon. A very large slice of that is tax, and I also pay VED (Vehicle Excise Duty) of over £200 per annum on my car.

What does this produce in terms of transport infrastructure?
Not a lot - I've posted more than once here about the state of local roads. Bus services locally have been reduced recently = more cars on the road, so more wear on the road surfaces. Incidentally in addition to Income Tax and NI we also pay Council Tax of more than £1000 per annum per household, some of which is given over to local transport.
So, very little improvement in roads, public transport, and cycle lanes; the state of our roads has in fact gone downhill in a big since I started driving, and fuel then was about £2 per gallon.
Old 04-24-18, 04:01 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
An extra $0.50/gal tax would roughly double the combined state&fed gasoline tax in the US. So I'd expect that to have a very sizable effect on transportation funding in this country.
You might 'expect' it to have a sizeable effect but I doubt it would. The infrastructure in the US is totally crumbling in many areas, it's true. But I seriously doubt a 50 cent per gallon tax would really turn anything around. The amount qouted above - $72 billion - simpy wouldnt be enough, the way money is burned through by our govts, imo.
Old 04-24-18, 05:46 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Danbianchi881
I’m sure the cycling community don’t care all that much.
Because we can ride till the pedal fall off.

Speak for yourself. As someone who drive nearly 40K miles a year with my job, this will impact my bottom line. I bike a ton and consider myself part of my local biking community. I have to drive because it pays the bills.
Old 04-24-18, 05:58 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 400 Posts
As someone who finally got a bike rack for his car so he can take the bike to jumping-off points further afield, yeah, this will possibly impact my cycling.

Old 04-24-18, 06:34 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Drive Mode = Sport +
Octane = 93 +
MPG = <20

Eh...
Old 04-24-18, 10:50 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
IMHO, big oil is playing Russian Roulette. The electric car is off to a better start than most experts predicted. Rising gas prices will only add to the demand. I'm not a big fan of the e-car, but even I can see a change is coming, and I've read the reports, the oil companies will not be smiling.
Old 04-24-18, 01:34 PM
Danbianchi881
Cycling addiction

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
IMHO, big oil is playing Russian Roulette. The electric car is off to a better start than most experts predicted. Rising gas prices will only add to the demand. I'm not a big fan of the e-car, but even I can see a change is coming, and I've read the reports, the oil companies will not be smiling.
Also hydrogen cars will be the next moment too, with salt water power car
Old 04-24-18, 01:43 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
You might 'expect' it to have a sizeable effect but I doubt it would. The infrastructure in the US is totally crumbling in many areas, it's true. But I seriously doubt a 50 cent per gallon tax would really turn anything around. The amount qouted above - $72 billion - simpy wouldnt be enough, the way money is burned through by our govts, imo.
How, then, shall we fund the rebuilding of our transportation infrastructure? Or do we just give up and let it crumble?

I'm all for taxing the rich (like we used to do in the 1940s, 1950s 1960s, 1970s) If you need money, it makes sense to go to where the money is. But it's also true that's not the only way it could be done.

To some degree, I can go along with that. But the oil companies know their business better than I do. I'm guessing they feel they have plenty of time to modify their business models until US consumers finally wean ourselves from their current core products. They are also making small but ever-increasing investments in renewable energy.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 04-24-18 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-24-18, 02:30 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Doesn't that electricity come (mostly) from burning fossil fuels? Energy companies will be fine. I'd be surprised if the big players in oil were not the big players in natural gas and coal.
Old 04-24-18, 02:37 PM
exmechanic89

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Doesn't that electricity come (mostly) from burning fossil fuels?
Yep, with the death or dying state of nuclear energy in the US electric cars will essentially be powered by fossil fuel.
Old 04-24-18, 02:42 PM
exmechanic89

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
How, then, shall we fund the rebuilding of our transportation infrastructure? Or do we just give up and let it crumble?
I dont have the answer. Was just pointing out that the govt would find some way to waste the .50 a gallon being proposed.

I've always thought it would be cool if the Civilian Conservation Corp could come back, like it was in the 1930's/early 40's. Of course I realize in today's litigious United States it's not possible, and it's too bad.
Old 04-24-18, 02:53 PM
Danbianchi881
Cycling addiction

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
I dont have the answer. Was just pointing out that the govt would find some way to waste the .50 a gallon being proposed.

I've always thought it would be cool if the Civilian Conservation Corp could come back, like it was in the 1930's/early 40's. Of course I realize in today's litigious United States it's not possible, and it's too bad.
I think that republicans and Democrats really need to all work together to fix the matters that needs the most attention.
Instead of wasting time arguing about it. We are the United States after at all right? Should we unite and work together as human beings. If we put religion, skin color aside we can see things differently. One thing that will tear apart this country is greed.
Old 04-24-18, 03:10 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Originally Posted by Classtime
Doesn't that electricity come (mostly) from burning fossil fuels? Energy companies will be fine. I'd be surprised if the big players in oil were not the big players in natural gas and coal.
The coal mines in WV are shutting down, and not due to lack of coal. Emissions control has all but killed the coal industry. Yes, you're correct about natural gas.
I did some reading about the e-cars. It's clear from the reported data that the oil industry is counting on us liking our ICE vehicles. As an example, big oil predicts e-cars will not out sell ICE vehicles until 2050. They're the ONLY ones who push it out that far. The investment folks have that timeline moved up about 15 years, expecting e-cars to overtake ICE vehicles in the mid 2030's. Of course Mr. Musk has a more ambitious timeline as expected. It was interesting to see big oil putting their heads in the ground so to speak. Again, I'm not a fan of e-cars.
What will save big oil is China. They're consuming oil faster than it's being developed. Much of the price increase is due to their demand.
Old 04-24-18, 03:13 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Originally Posted by Danbianchi881
I think that republicans and Democrats really need to all work together to fix the matters that needs the most attention.
Instead of wasting time arguing about it. We are the United States after at all right? Should we unite and work together as human beings. If we put religion, skin color aside we can see things differently. One thing that will tear apart this country is greed.
If only they would listen to you.
I fear the far left and the far right are in control right now and I don't see a leading moderate in sight. Do you?
Old 04-24-18, 03:42 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
The coke-snorters consortium hasn't made enough of a killing by manipulating prices recently, and apparently they think enforcement is lax atm.
Old 04-24-18, 06:17 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 400 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Drive Mode = Sport +
Octane = 93 +
MPG = <20

Eh...
I try not to touch that button on the Boxster, hence I'm seeing somewhat better mpg's than that.

Literally, YMMV.

I have memories of Gas Crisis II in the early 80's, sitting in gas lines with my gutted-interior Datsun 510, with the handbrake off I could push the car along in the gas lines -- and with no back seat, a bike fit where the rear seat used to go, for the Tuesday Night bike criteriums.

Old 04-25-18, 12:14 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Yeah, "the government" is pretty hopeless. When did they ever build us a road, a bridge, a public school? We should just give up on the government, I guess. All they know how to do is waste money. [/sarcasm]

Or maybe we can vote for legislators who will actually fund infrastructure projects. Easier said than done, I know. But if you pay attention to what they do, rather than what they say, it's possible to pick the good ones. Or at least un-pick the bad ones, after the fact. Once every two years or four years or six years.

I maintain that good government is possible. But you certainly won't get it if you vote for the anti-government shouters. They clearly will not do the job. They have no interest whatsoever in actually, y'know, governing. In fact, they maintain the job doesn't need to be done at all. Smaller government is always better, somehow, right? Oh, as long as we keep increasing our military spending, of course. Tax cuts for all! But mostly for the rich, you see. We little people only need a little more money, but the billionaires need a whole lot more. It'll all "trickle down" on you eventually -- honest!

Heh. Have I just got this thread kicked into the netherworld basement? Not my intention. Because it all really does relate to gas prices.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 04-25-18 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-25-18, 02:25 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
What will save big oil is China. They're consuming oil faster than it's being developed. Much of the price increase is due to their demand.
I'd say China is the biggest risk here. Exactly because their needs are bigger than they are expected to rise they are more inclined to look for alternatives.

And since their power generating sector is dominated by the government they will have less trouble converting people to other means of power.
Mind you, it's still going to be a huge undertaking but they lack the anti-scientific groups that are limiting the US from switching away from fossil fuels. China thinks climate change is a real issue and will devastate lots of fertile land if they don't do something about it.

They will need oil to run most of their industries but an easy way to limit the coming shortage is by weaning off everyone and everything that doesn't strictly need oil to work. Transport is just a "low-hanging fruit" in that regard.
Old 04-29-18, 09:26 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
I don't think anything with the word 'diet' in it is good for anything, but I think we're wandering off-topic now.
It's a gas price thread in the middle of C&V, it only lacks ahsposo and windhchaser to be a Foo thread.Oh well. Yes, the cost of gas can be a factor in riding more, might even be more of the dreaded Living Carfre/car-lite thread. But it stinks and especially if you have to haul your bike to use it to it's full advantage. Irony indeed.