Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1973 Raleigh Super Course rebuild help needed

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1973 Raleigh Super Course rebuild help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-18, 05:24 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
btw, have you check the frame for alignment? I've found that those early Raleigh seat and chain stays can be off quite a bit.
Old 09-08-18, 07:33 AM
lacro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
This is a great thread!

I have a early 1970's Super Course that I bought about 15 years ago. I started to rebuild it as soon as I got it home but got held up by the headset that would not adjust properly. I assumed it was the head-set, so I installed a NOS Raleigh HS I bought from a "ebay" vendor but the problem persisted. I have since re-built several Grand Prix's and soon realized that the head-tubes and fork crowns on those early Raleigh's were not machined to very high standards. The only way to get them properly adjusted was to re-face the head-tubes and fork-crowns. Hopefully yours won't need this.

Regarding the weight difference between the SC and SGP forks, another factor is that the SGP was designed for 700C wheels so the fork blades should be shorter.

Nice work and looking forward to seeing the painted frame.
This SC frame did suffer the same problem of HS adjustment being impossible. I did have the head tube and the BB refaced, but not the fork. Hopefully the head tube facing will solve the issue.
Old 09-08-18, 08:00 AM
lacro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
btw, have you check the frame for alignment? I've found that those early Raleigh seat and chain stays can be off quite a bit.
If you follow the whole thread, you will see where I did reset the alignment that was slightly off, but in the process I popped a seat stay cap which was already showing a crack at the braze joint. I could have fixed it with JB weld as it's not a structural element. However, the top tube paint had some rusty spots that I didn't want to live with so I had the cap re-brazed which destroyed the paint. This whole project is 'one thing leads to another' It's been fun and frustrating at the same time. Sourcing better components, and painting the frame without spending beyond the bikes worth is my goal. Since I recently picked up the SGP which has cleaned up to look like a brand new bike, I don't know why I am bothering with the SC even though it's a better frame.
Old 09-08-18, 09:17 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

I just finished restoring a 20-1/2" Super Grand Prix for a woman who has owned it since new. The frame has a very tight geometry and is much too small for me but I took it for a test ride and could feel every bump in the road. My regular Grand Prix which I use as a commuter is much more forgiving in that sense. I suspect that the Super Course will give you a much better ride than the SGP. That said, a lager framed SGP may be more forgiving than a 20-1/2".

Last edited by branko_76; 09-08-18 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-08-18, 09:46 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
@lacro, I think you'll find the end product to be very satisfying. As this did not start out as an expensive bike, it could seem not to be worth it. But the bones are good. I may be paying a frame builder to modify my early 70s Super Course, but just because there isn't much sunk cost in it yet, some new expenses will prove to be worthwhile, since I like the way the bike rides so well. I can scarcely believe how heavy it is, because it doesn't feel heavy when it rides.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-08-18, 01:11 PM
lacro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished restoring a 20-1/2" Super Grand Prix for a woman who has owned it since new. The frame has a very tight geometry and is much too small for me but I took it for a test ride and could feel every bump in the road. My regular Grand Prix which I use as a commuter is much more forgiving in that sense. I suspect that the Super Course will give you a much better ride than the SGP. That said, a lager framed SGP may be more forgiving than a 20-1/2".
I thought the GP and the SGP were the same frame, just different components? I know the SC has the relaxed geometry which I like, and SGP has the race geometry.
Old 09-08-18, 05:58 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
The brake pads would need to be lowered 4mm to use 700c rims, so you might be able to just eyeball it as it sits (oops, forgot that you took it apart, lol).
The stock crankset is good and the bb parts are good, hardened bits. Securing the cotters with alternating modest impact blows with nut tightening will get even the cheap replacement cotters bedded in solidly (vs. tightening, pressing or hammering alone). There is a point where the wrench just doesn't want to turn any more after the last impact to the head of the cotter, that is when the cotter is fully seated, not before.
The Simplex rear derailers are quick shifters, and a Deore would seem much less responsive to small lever movements. I found the original Simplex setup to be particularly snappy in the context of spirited riding, once I installed a Uniglide freewheel and modern 8s chain.
I changed as little as possible for my type of riding. A favorite saddle and alloy post, a wider 25.4mm bar plus an upgrade to 6 speeds (just added a ~2mm washer to the right end of the axle) and all was good. Mine is also a '73 with Capella lugs and 2/73 dated Phillips bb spindle.
Geometry of these bikes is 73st x 71ht, same as a Grand Sports, so this makes these bikes calm-riding off road, and with great stability on the road.
Mine was found with original tape which went onto the new bars after being soaked in hot suds to clean it and to relax the deformities from sitting for 45 years.
Interesting comment on geometry. Since I got my 1952 Rudge, I thought perhaps it was a precursor to the Grand Prix and Super Course. Long top tubes, and straight-gauge 531.

But the geometries don't match: Rudge 71 degree seat tube and 73 head tube, Super Course 73 seat tube and 71 head tube. I guess that's the difference between Lenton/Nottingham tradition (Rudge Aero Special), and Carlton/Worksop tradition.
Old 09-08-18, 07:03 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I think of the 73 seattube angle combined with 71 headtube angle as "modern" in the context of both the CX/MTB (off road) bikes and the triathlon bikes (with their yet-steeper seattube and slack headtube angle).

Peugeot made that switch on their U08/9/10 models when the frames were redesigned around the new Carbolite tubing in 1979. The formerly slack seattube moved more upright and the head angle was relaxed, at least in the familiar 57-ish size range bikes that I dealt with. I kept both on the road for a good while, and ultimately found the newer geometry superior for spirited riding in the foothills where I live.

So shall we say that Raleigh was ahead of it's time with the Super Course? It did offer a gravel friendly platform before "gravel" was a thing in the modern context.
Old 09-08-18, 08:41 PM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by lacro
I thought the GP and the SGP were the same frame, just different components? I know the SC has the relaxed geometry which I like, and SGP has the race geometry.
That's correct, the GP has a longer wheel-base than the SGP which has racing geometry. Both frames are made from 20-30 tubing and have the same lugs, dropouts and fork crowns.

Component-wise, the GP's of the SGP era (late 1970's) had the same hubs (Normandy HF), derailleurs (Suntour VXGT), brake levers (safety type), stem and bars (GB). The differences were as follows

GP... steel seat post, vinyl covered saddle, Weinmann 610 and 730 calipers, touring pedals, steel 27" rims, schrader valves, stem shifters (Suntour), touring geometry

SGP...alloy seat post, sued over plastic saddle, Weinmann short reach calipers (front and rear), 700C alloy rims, presta valves, bar-end shifters (Suntour), racing geometry

Both the GP and SGP of the late 70's had SR alloy cotterless cranks. Most had fixed outer chainrings so that when worn, you'd have to get a new drive side crank, Some SGP's came with a SR crank which had the standard removable outer chain-ring. Both inner and outer rings were 118 bcd.
Old 09-08-18, 08:46 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Finally found some time to move forward with my build. I finished the clean-up of the frame for paint, and got the etching primer on the frame/fork. Not sure what color or how far i will go with paint quality just yet. At least the raw frame is now protected from corrosion.

@lacro it looks awesome in the raw
Old 09-08-18, 09:48 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Well, you've come this far! It's the perfect time to add canti posts for your 650b conversion!
Old 09-08-18, 09:49 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Duh! Why didn't I think of that? I have a friend nearby that has a stable of racing road bikes with 700c wheels. I can just borrow a set to try. Actually the more I think about what I really want the bike for, I probably should just relace the rims which I have polished, and look great. I can always build 2nd set with 700c if I see the need.

I will probably be putting on 1-1/8" or maybe 1-1/4" tires mostly for the ride. My go fast days are gone by. Heck, I don't even know if I will be able to ride much with my bad knee, or even want to! I think I will just rebuild the old rims with new SS spokes that I already have, and save the $ for the other parts I want. I won't have any issues with the brakes, and will be keeping the wheel set original. No sense in spending more $ on upgrades than the bike is worth.

I have never ridden with 1-1/4" tires. My previous bikes from yesteryear never had wider than 1" tires. Is 1-1/4" too big? Should I consider 1-1/8" instead. I don't want it to be too sluggish, but I am seeking a cushy ride.
If you are using rims that are original to the Super Course, you should not use 27 x 1 ⅛, because the original rims most likely did not have hooked beads, and were most likely designed for 27 x 1 ¼. Not having hooked beads, they pretty much require wire-bead tires. These are available in the form of the Pasela and the Specialized Road Sport, and some others. These tires will be good for up to 90 psi (if that does not over pressurize them), and in my opinion will be quick and cushy.
Old 09-08-18, 10:04 PM
Road Fan

I think of the 73 seattube angle combined with 71 headtube angle as "modern" in the context of both the CX/MTB (off road) bikes and the triathlon bikes (with their yet-steeper seattube and slack headtube angle).

Peugeot made that switch on their U08/9/10 models when the frames were redesigned around the new Carbolite tubing in 1979. The formerly slack seattube moved more upright and the head angle was relaxed, at least in the familiar 57-ish size range bikes that I dealt with. I kept both on the road for a good while, and ultimately found the newer geometry superior for spirited riding in the foothills where I live.

So shall we say that Raleigh was ahead of it's time with the Super Course? It did offer a gravel friendly platform before "gravel" was a thing in the modern context.
I can't say too much ... My Rudge isn't ready to ride so I can't offer any testimonials. But, I have a small-frame Mondonico that originally had 75 deg seat tube and 71.5 deg head tube, and while it will carry me over imperfect roads, I would never believe that this frame geometry was designed originally for gravel, back in the day. It might be counterintuitive that the Mondo was a great road ride with that geo, but he was devoted to what he called "stage race" geometry.
Old 09-09-18, 12:36 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

It's the seat tube angle that more or less defines the geometry as being suited to racing, as the rider's balance point above the bb is a function of how hard that the rider is expected to be pedaling.
Torque applied to the cranks has an equal and opposite opposing force that is the rider's mass forward of the bottom bracket, sufficient to sustain the pedaling torque without having to tug on the bars.
It's the same as when a rider attacks a steep climb with their handlebar encroaching on their waistline.
The headtube will be what it needs to be, smaller frames will need a slacker headtube angle to keep a 700c front tire from touching the rider's toes, and bikes intended for off-roading or for undulating road surfaces may need a lot of trail, and with not so much weight on the front tire lest the rider possibly tip over the handlebars.

This bike has a very slack 71-degree headtube angle, but also has a "low trail" fork intended to lighten the steering effort, likely to update an ancient frame design for use with sporty drop handlebars. And with the slack HT angle and added fork rake, weight is shifted away from the front, further lightening the steering. I actually had to increase the stem length not for fit reasons, but because the steering had too little on-center stability. I corrected the reach to the bars with a zero-offset post, which then made this bike better suited to a higher-effort pedaling intensity as when doing fast training rides. With the addition of dual-position brake levers, thankfully the bike is still quite versatile.

Last edited by dddd; 09-09-18 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-09-18, 04:49 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That's a gorgeous bike. Class all the way.
Old 09-09-18, 05:17 AM
Road Fan

+1!!

What is that frame, and what company made it? Certainly "Clubman" was a model name, but is that the brand name here? The geo reminds me of a late-1960s Peugeot UO-8.

My Rudge is a triplet sibling with the Raleigh Super Lenton (identical specs except for some "trimmings") and another Raleigh captive brand. Rudge and Raleigh used frames with that geometry, usually in straight 531, for very long solo rides such as Lands' End to John O'Groats, dating back at least to the 1920's up until the 1950's. I don't know when mass-start racing began in England, however. In any case, the Rudge also has rather low trail about 38 mm. I have two low-trail bikes, and they both show reduced self-centering in their steering. I assume it was necessary for riding aggressively over widely-varying road surfaces.

So the "gravel-friendly" characteristic goes back to when cyclists were working to get roads paved in the US, initially. That would be in the early 1900's!

Last edited by Road Fan; 09-09-18 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-09-18, 06:52 AM
lacro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
@lacro it looks awesome in the raw
I think so too. I toyed with the idea of just clearing it, and leave it that way. If I screw up the paint job, I may strip it, and do that.
Old 09-09-18, 09:30 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Interesting science about geometry, @dddd. Thank you!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-09-18, 05:40 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by Road Fan
+1!!

What is that frame, and what company made it? Certainly "Clubman" was a model name, but is that the brand name here? The geo reminds me of a late-1960s Peugeot UO-8.

My Rudge is a triplet sibling with the Raleigh Super Lenton (identical specs except for some "trimmings") and another Raleigh captive brand. Rudge and Raleigh used frames with that geometry, usually in straight 531, for very long solo rides such as Lands' End to John O'Groats, dating back at least to the 1920's up until the 1950's. I don't know when mass-start racing began in England, however. In any case, the Rudge also has rather low trail about 38 mm. I have two low-trail bikes, and they both show reduced self-centering in their steering. I assume it was necessary for riding aggressively over widely-varying road surfaces.

So the "gravel-friendly" characteristic goes back to when cyclists were working to get roads paved in the US, initially. That would be in the early 1900's!
The Clubman is an entry-level model made by Steyr/Puch in Austria throughout the 60's and beyond. It's roots go back much further. Sears sold millions of similar models branded as either SEARS or Ted Williams.
Good-riding bikes, pictured below is my '68 Sears TEN SPEED:

Old 09-19-18, 09:44 AM
lacro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Successful paint application Even though it was way more humid and windy than I would have preferred, my outdoors frame paint job came out WAY BETTER than I expected. I only had one bug, and one pine needle fall on the wet paint which didn't affect the paint at all.

Last edited by lacro; 09-21-18 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 04:09 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
(cough) crème head tube (cough)
Old 09-19-18, 05:44 PM
branko_76 

Are we only allowed to say good things about color choices?
Old 09-19-18, 06:10 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
(cough) crème head tube (cough)
Yes! That would look so good
Old 09-19-18, 06:20 PM
lacro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are we only allowed to say good things about color choices?
You can say anything you want about MY color choice, but before you do, be aware I know where you live Actually the blue color is a pretty nice blue, but the camera was set at "vivid" which makes the color look intense. The color is Ford Blue which is the color of Ford/New Holland tractors, and implements.

Last edited by lacro; 09-21-18 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 06:29 PM
branko_76 

Farm equipment, eh? I'll be waiting for you...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.