Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Those Bottom Bracket Fixed Cup Blues

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-18, 01:33 PM
mmcc73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I'm trying to remove the fixed cup from the bottom bracket of a mid 70s Dawes Galaxy. Thus far, my efforts have been in vain.

I've rigged up the bolt-and-short-piece-of-pipe removal tool, and have gone at that with a battery powered impact driver a few times, with applications of PB Blaster before and between attempts. The pipe is turning instead of the fixed cup.

I've been working under the assumption that this fixed cup is left hand threaded. Is that assumption a good one?

Any suggestions for other removal methods would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-18, 02:05 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Wrench + extension. Give me a long enough lever and I can move the world. And yes, I'm pretty sure the fixed cup would be reverse-threaded.

Coincidentally, I just removed the fixed cup from an old Raleigh (like a half-hour ago) so I could replace with a cartridge BB I had lying around. I expected a fight but it came out quick and easy. Guess it was my turn.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 10-14-18 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-14-18, 02:33 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
My Sheldon Brown remover thing uses a nut and bolt with some lock washers: not a piece of pipe. Once, I had a harder time getting the remover gizmo off my fixed cup when I was "done"
Old 10-14-18, 02:42 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Originally Posted by mmcc73
I'm trying to remove the fixed cup from the bottom bracket of a mid 70s Dawes Galaxy. Thus far, my efforts have been in vain.

I've rigged up the bolt-and-short-piece-of-pipe removal tool, and have gone at that with a battery powered impact driver a few times, with applications of PB Blaster before and between attempts. The pipe is turning instead of the fixed cup.

I've been working under the assumption that this fixed cup is left hand threaded. Is that assumption a good one?

Any suggestions for other removal methods would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
....I have used a lot of different methods over the years. I eventually decided I was doing enough of this to buy my own Hozan fixed cup removal tool. I only wish I'd bought it sooner. With the Hozan, a mix of 50/50 acetone and ATF, and every now and then a MAPP gas torch, there is no cup too fixed.

Old 10-14-18, 02:43 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

I have used Sheldon Brown's bolt thing with great success on many occasions. The problem with the "big enough lever" is not the size of the lever, it's getting a good grip on shallow flats and the many other utterly terrible technologies used for bottom brackets.

This works great though, it's cheaper than a bike-specific tool, more effective, and universal. Just have to get the right size of everything. I got a longer bolt and large-size "spacer" nuts to make it even easier to install.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltip...btool-bolt.jpg

Edit: You may still need a long lever, but you can use a sturdy box or adjustable wrench, dealer's choice.
Old 10-14-18, 02:49 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...if you only do a couple of these every so often, there's a post by me with photos in the hints and tips thread (that I cant find right now) that shows you how to affix a BB wrench of the correct size onto the fixed cup using fender washers and a long bolt that goes through the BB to the other side. With the wrench in place, and your bike in the stand supported close to the BB shell by one of the main frame tubes, you can then apply your penetrating oil solution and hit the end of the wrench with a hammer. Poor man's impact wrench.

Old 10-14-18, 03:54 PM
mmcc73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks, all!

After a trip to the local Harbor Freight for an 18" breaker bar, I was able to get it removed. Apparently my battery powered impact driver doesn't give as much torque as an 18" bar plus the proverbial 200 pound gorilla.

The method I was using is similar to the Sheldon Brown approach, but using a length of pipe instead of lock washers. I saw this on an RJ the Bike Guy video. I tried the lock washer approach previously with no luck, but I think the problem was that I was using a bolt of too small a diameter. When I went back to Home Depot for a 5/8" nut and bolt, I decided to give the pipe approach a try.
Old 10-14-18, 05:05 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
There is a reason it's called the fixed cup. Just saying

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-14-18, 05:12 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
The Zog's fixed cup wrench works pretty well, but they seem to be kind of obscure. A good investment if you can find one.

Old 10-14-18, 05:44 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Back in the late nineties/early aughts, old bike tools were cheap on ebay. I bought a VAR 30 and the various extras for about 25$. I have never regretted the purchase.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 10-14-18, 06:48 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
One of the best tools I own. Holds the wrench tight on the cup.

Old 10-14-18, 07:05 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co

I have used Sheldon Brown's bolt thing with great success on many occasions. The problem with the "big enough lever" is not the size of the lever, it's getting a good grip on shallow flats and the many other utterly terrible technologies used for bottom brackets.

This works great though, it's cheaper than a bike-specific tool, more effective, and universal. Just have to get the right size of everything. I got a longer bolt and large-size "spacer" nuts to make it even easier to install.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltip...btool-bolt.jpg

Edit: You may still need a long lever, but you can use a sturdy box or adjustable wrench, dealer's choice.
Above works like a charm.

"With the Hozan, a mix of 50/50 acetone and ATF, and every now and then a MAPP gas torch, there is no cup too fixed" @sloar will tell you a dangerously explosive mix too!
Old 10-14-18, 08:52 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by oddjob2
Above works like a charm.

"With the Hozan, a mix of 50/50 acetone and ATF, and every now and then a MAPP gas torch, there is no cup too fixed" @sloar will tell you a dangerously explosive mix too!
...an explosion requires some sort of compression. But it is kinda fun to watch a few drops of the acetone/ATF mix hit the heated cup and BB junction and bubble.
The main issue with the short bolt washer stack thingie is that there is no way to prevent it from slipping if your cup is really, really, really fixed. Been there.
Old 10-14-18, 10:04 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Remove everything else from the bike then clamp the fixed-cup-removal tool in a large bench vise. No, not the little 6" one, a LARGE vise, bolted securely to a heavy-duty bench which is secured to a sturdy wall. Use the bike's frame for leverage on the tool.

This is also a convenient position for applying penetrant to the inside threads of the bottom bracket.

I bet the cup will wave a white flag and crawl out of the frame on its own.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-14-18, 10:08 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
One of the best tools I own. Holds the wrench tight on the cup.

That looks sort of like the Stein tool. Threads into a BB axlo, or onto one if it's a stud, and allows you to keep that thin wrench tightly on the thin wrench surfaces on the fixed cup. The Minnesota bike smith guy who sells cotter presses and
Raleigh cut cotters sells a fixture for typical Raleigh fixed cup flats that works sort of like the Sheldon method. All viable methids and tools by creative thinking bicycle oriented folks.
Old 10-14-18, 11:10 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
The Randy Jawa method (BF Member) from his blog has yet to let me down although the last one I needed a pipe wrench extender to persuade the fixed but to come out. It was one of those funky mid 80s Schwinns where the bearings and cup are all one piece.so I really needed it out to properly clean and lube it.

The retaining ring for the bearings is part of the cup.

IMG_4260 by Ryan Surface, on Flickr

Leverage for the win! sorry for the blurry pic but I was kind of occupied

Last edited by ryansu; 10-14-18 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 03:38 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
That looks sort of like the Stein tool. Threads into a BB axlo, or onto one if it's a stud, and allows you to keep that thin wrench tightly on the thin wrench surfaces on the fixed cup. The Minnesota bike smith guy who sells cotter presses and
Raleigh cut cotters sells a fixture for typical Raleigh fixed cup flats that works sort of like the Sheldon method. All viable methids and tools by creative thinking bicycle oriented folks.
It is a Stein, and it works great.
Old 10-15-18, 01:37 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Cant believe this is 9 years old...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...technique.html