Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

A fifth alternative to using square taper cranks on a Raleigh Twenty?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20, 01:04 PM
readygetsetBen

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SM2000 with drop bars and Nitto technomic stem; 194? CCM Step Through; ???? Stumpjumper (currently frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I was just reading Sheldon Brown’s Raleigh Twenty page and fifth alternative for using a square taper crank occurred to me. The fourth option Sheldon lists is:
  • A 7-series JIS square-taper spindle will work with the Raleigh bottom-bracket cups, but usually only if you use 6mm or 15/64" bearing balls and face the BB shell to 71mm.

But why not just have a custom spindle made and reuse the original cups without facing the bottom bracket shell? I understand this is pricey but surely cheaper than facing the shell and getting a custom Phil bb made (the first option listed). A custom spindle from either a machinist or maybe from Phil made to the correct width would be a nice way to use the original threads of the original shell at the original width.
Old 02-26-20, 02:51 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Getting the correct finish and hardness where the bearing balls run may be more difficult/expensive than you think. Machining the tapers (correctly) is also non-trivial.
Old 02-26-20, 03:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
I've never heard of a custom spindle. I assume they are affordable because of mass production and that custom spindles would be prohibitively expensive.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-26-20, 05:27 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by readygetsetBen
I was just reading Sheldon Brown’s Raleigh Twenty page and fifth alternative for using a square taper crank occurred to me. The fourth option Sheldon lists is:
  • A 7-series JIS square-taper spindle will work with the Raleigh bottom-bracket cups, but usually only if you use 6mm or 15/64" bearing balls and face the BB shell to 71mm.

But why not just have a custom spindle made and reuse the original cups without facing the bottom bracket shell? I understand this is pricey but surely cheaper than facing the shell and getting a custom Phil bb made (the first option listed). A custom spindle from either a machinist or maybe from Phil made to the correct width would be a nice way to use the original threads of the original shell at the original width.
Facing a bottom bracket shell down to 71 mm is probably going to be far less expensive than having a custom spindle made and heat treated. How many local machinists are going to be willing to not only machine the bearing races to the correct dimensions, the square tapers to the correct size and angles, and then have this thing heat treated to the correct hardness for the bearings to run on and afterwards properly polish the area where the bearings will contact the spindle? Makes facing the bottom bracket spindle seem pretty simple by comparison.
Old 02-26-20, 08:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
having a custom BB axle made might be the last option I would pay for. But if you must... get a bunch made and you'll be the source we link to for the next guy with a 26TPI BB wanting to use a cotterless crank. Andy