Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Max and Avg Heart Rates

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Max and Avg Heart Rates

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 04:54 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I must be an outlier, in that what I consider to be my max heart rate was actually fairly close to what the formulas predict.

To establish what I consider, for my own purposes, my max heart rate I took a defined Strava segment that was around maybe 1/4 mile long and would come well into my ride, with plenty of road in front and behind it to come in hot and go out of the segment at full speed, then when I get to that segment just all-out sprint it, as in as hard as I possibly can, and hard enough that I can feel myself starting to fade a little before that 1/4 mile is up. I didn't do this cold, and ramped up my effort so I was at a substantial heart rate and hit this max effort just before entering this segment. Then I just looked up on Strava what my avg heart rate was through that segment. I've done this a few times, and it's fairly consistently been very close (within, say, 5bpm or so) of what the formulas predict based on my age. This technique has been useful to me, since it's based on what I was actually able to do.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 04-13-20, 06:33 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
I've posted this before, but it's worth repeating.

At age 58, five years ago, my max heart rate was 162. I'd pass out over that number. My lactate threshold was 153 or thereabouts, measured in a lab.

Four or five times a year, I ride with a high school friend (same age) in the bluffs in western Wisconsin where we grew up. He is a very competitive rider and nordic ski racer. We have 16 pound bikes and both weigh 160. The watts expended to reach the top of a climb together are by definition identical.

When we climb the steep roads up to the ridge (550 ft. gain over 1.5 to 2 miles), side by side, he'll be at 165 bpm and I'll be at 145. On the sprint to the top, he'll hit 180, I don't go over 157.

The difference is in the genes - nothing more or less.
Likes For tigat:
Old 04-16-20, 03:21 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by BIKEREX
I am a 64 year old male and currently, I only ride about 30-40 miles avg. on weekends. I just started wearing a heart monitor that syncs with my GPS unit and wanted to compare notes with others my age.

Here are some examples of data from recent rides:
  • 14 miles - 945 feet of climbing - max HR: 177, Avg. HR: 155, 8% of time in max HR zone
  • 15.55 miles - 1217 feet of climbing - max HR: 176, Avg. HR: 150, 1% of time in max HR zone
  • 9.2 miles - 653 feet of climbing - max HR: 171, Avg. HR: 159, 19% of time in max HR zone
  • 16.5 miles - 1286 feet of climbing - max HR: 175, Avg. HR: 147, 2% of time in max HR zone
If I use the one calculation I've seen (220-age), I get 156 as a max heart rate, so I am wondering if I am pushing too hard. Based on this "standard" calculation, my average heart rate is right around my max. The max rate occurs during steep climbs and I do not experience any symptoms. I have never had any heart issues in general.

I may have to ask Garmin about this, but they show my max zone 5 rate as being anything >167

I know these things vary from person to person, but I'd be interested in how my numbers compare with those of you that have a similar profile to mine.

Thanks very much!
genetic beast.....
lungmonster.
Old 04-16-20, 05:39 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
If you're going really hard on a climb and feel like you're about to black out and the world starts going dark, you're going too hard. Otherwise you're not, that is as long as you can keep going at that effort for as long as the terrain or your soul demands. The only successful way to figure out your zones and possible max HR is to do a lactate threshold heart rate (LTHR) test. (google). Usually MHR is somewhere around LTHR/.9. But set your zones from your LTHR. I use this test for either LTHR or FTP: https://trainright.com/cts-field-tes...-calculations/
because it's short and because it's two efforts one has a better opportunity to get one of them right. I think the result is good enough for practical purposes, that is to be able to pace oneself by HR or power.
Old 04-21-20, 07:19 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Similar profile to you at almost 61 and faster than normal heart. My resting heart rate is nothing special, 60 according to Fitbit and low 50's when I get up in the morning. I haven't checked on a bike recently but it consistently tops out at 180 on my regular 5K jogs.

Frankly I have no idea what my maximum HR is and I think it's basically meaningless. It's just the end of a scale, when using a different scale makes more sense. I do know from a little research that a higher max doesn't make us any more nor less at risk from heart conditions.
Old 04-21-20, 12:54 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Nope, you're not pushing too hard. That calculated number is just a starting point, and not a very good one. Your max is whatever you can get up to, and zones get calculated from there. I suspect 176 isn't your max, either.
Those numbers are huge. I would talk with your cardiologist. Your doc might know you lots better than we do and can advise from a professional view point. You MAX rate is way high for our age group.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 04-21-20, 06:03 PM
BIKEREX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Those numbers are huge. I would talk with your cardiologist. Your doc might know you lots better than we do and can advise from a professional view point. You MAX rate is way high for our age group.
Good advice...thanks! I do want to ask what you are basing your comments on. There is so much conflicting information on this topic, I like to understand the math/variables behind anything I read or hear. Seeking a medical opinion is the right thing to do, however having real life input from other cyclists is also helpful.

I did a 25 mile ride this past Sunday and was able to conquer a hill that I have not been able to handle until now. My max HR got up to 183 on that hill and the average HR for the ride was 149. This course included three climbs and the max HR for each one was 162 (at 11:42 into ride), 183 (at 54:17), and 173 (at 1:48:02) in that order. My average HR for all rides over the past 4 weeks has been 153.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this...much appreciated.
Old 04-21-20, 06:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Some meds will give you a higher max HR too. A year and a half or so back I started taking adderall to try and help some of my ADD issues (ADHD if anyone needs the currently accepted acronym, I'm not disposed to the "H" though). The adderall pushed my max HR up about 8 plus BPM. I routinely hit 185 or more with it. Probably any amphetamine will do that, legal or illegal. I didn't like it though so I got off it after about 9 months and my HR returned to what it had been before.
Old 04-21-20, 07:03 PM
aclass

Bikes: Specialized Roubiax Sport

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BIKEREX
Good advice...thanks! I do want to ask what you are basing your comments on. There is so much conflicting information on this topic, I like to understand the math/variables behind anything I read or hear. Seeking a medical opinion is the right thing to do, however having real life input from other cyclists is also helpful.

I did a 25 mile ride this past Sunday and was able to conquer a hill that I have not been able to handle until now. My max HR got up to 183 on that hill and the average HR for the ride was 149. This course included three climbs and the max HR for each one was 162 (at 11:42 into ride), 183 (at 54:17), and 173 (at 1:48:02) in that order. My average HR for all rides over the past 4 weeks has been 153.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this...much appreciated.
Bikerex, not that it matters but how is your breathing whenever your ticker reaches the 180 mark?
I'm 54 and can reach 180 on a tough climb but my cardio is not pretty when it happens. I'm breathing so hard that it could scare on-lookers.
Old 04-21-20, 07:35 PM
BIKEREX

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Some meds will give you a higher max HR too. A year and a half or so back I started taking adderall to try and help some of my ADD issues (ADHD if anyone needs the currently accepted acronym, I'm not disposed to the "H" though). The adderall pushed my max HR up about 8 plus BPM. I routinely hit 185 or more with it. Probably any amphetamine will do that, legal or illegal. I didn't like it though so I got off it after about 9 months and my HR returned to what it had been before.
So far, I have been fortunate enough not to have to take any meds and I have no underlying conditions. When I have annual health screenings for work, all of my blood results and BP are nearly perfect. That said, I am overdue for a comprehensive physical, so will discuss all of this with my Doc.
Old 04-21-20, 07:47 PM
BIKEREX

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aclass
Bikerex, not that it matters but how is your breathing whenever your ticker reaches the 180 mark?
I'm 54 and can reach 180 on a tough climb but my cardio is not pretty when it happens. I'm breathing so hard that it could scare on-lookers.
Great question. My breathing @180 bpm is very labored. On that climb this weekend, it definitely fell into the “not pretty” category and I was consciously trying to control breathing and focus on maintaining cadence.
Likes For BIKEREX:
Old 04-21-20, 11:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
According to my HRM and some formula I found on the internet, I am 30 years old.

That’s how this works, right?
Old 04-24-20, 09:50 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
According to my HRM and some formula I found on the internet, I am 30 years old.
That’s how this works, right?
Wow, I didn't realize you were just a kid!

I bludgeoned my brain a bit and recalled the name of this thing. I haven't thought about it in maybe 20 years. it's the Conconi Test, looking for that inflection point. Google, folks. Now that I have power, I should do it on my resistance rollers. I'd forgotten all about it. Quicker and easier and maybe more accurate test to find LTHR than doing the all-out 20 minutes or whatever. Can also use speed instead of power for the ramp up. Thanks!
Old 04-28-20, 04:29 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Max and Avg heartrates

I used to get my max heart rate on a treadmill with a cardiologist present. I TT'd at 96 -97% of my max. Running up to max during a ride is no problem if your heart is structurally sound. But running your heart too close to max for long periods can give you the problems addressed in "The Haywire Heart" eg A Fib. Having undergone three cardiac ablation procedures with a competent Electrophysiologist to keep me on the bike and riding well, I now just train with power. A heart rate monitor is still useful for me to determine cardiac drift on long rides and can inform of arrhythmias. I measure resting heart rate in bed when I wake up to see how hard I can train. I believe training with a HRM is still useful if zones are measured off Lactate Threshold Heart rate.
Likes For fastcarbon:
Old 04-29-20, 09:21 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
I've posted this before, but it's worth repeating.

At age 58, five years ago, my max heart rate was 162. I'd pass out over that number. My lactate threshold was 153 or thereabouts, measured in a lab.

Four or five times a year, I ride with a high school friend (same age) in the bluffs in western Wisconsin where we grew up. He is a very competitive rider and nordic ski racer. We have 16 pound bikes and both weigh 160. The watts expended to reach the top of a climb together are by definition identical.

When we climb the steep roads up to the ridge (550 ft. gain over 1.5 to 2 miles), side by side, he'll be at 165 bpm and I'll be at 145. On the sprint to the top, he'll hit 180, I don't go over 157.

The difference is in the genes - nothing more or less.
Genes play a big role but so does fitness level. When I am well-trained, my HR can be 30 BPM lower than when I am not at the same pace/speed.