Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

No Italian Freewheels Anywhere?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 10:20 PM
readygetsetBen

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SM2000 with drop bars and Nitto technomic stem; 194? CCM Step Through; ???? Stumpjumper (currently frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello all. I have a Campagnolo rear hub I was planning on building up. It's stamped "Italy 35 x 24F" so I'm quite sure that means it takes an Italian freewheel. I tried searching around for one on the internet and couldn't find. Surely some manufacturer is making them for an affordable price (the likes of Sunrace)? Best I could find was 90$ freewheel cobs on eBay. I'll settle for singlespeed I just don't want this hub to go to waste.

Cheers.
Old 08-30-20, 12:54 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Chances are there are no manufacturers of freewheels still making Italian-threaded ones.

From this page.

All recent freewheels and threaded hubs, regardless of where made, use ISO threading. The older British and Italian standards use the same thread pitch but a very slightly different thread diameter, and are generally interchangeable. However, for strong riders and on tandems, it is best not to mix and match -- freewheels sometimes do strip the threads of aluminium hubs.
Old 08-30-20, 12:55 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Per Saint Sheldon, British and Italian-thread hubs will both work with ISO-threaded freewheels. Looking at the dimensions, the pitch is the same and the thread diameter is only 3 thousandths bigger.

I've done it for decades, since I've mostly used Suntour and Sachs freewheels, and have had several Campy-hub wheels (and one pair with Gallis). The freewheels always spin on easily and come off with the same effort regardless of whether the hubs were Japanese or Italian.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM: