Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Quality of new Diamondback bikes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Quality of new Diamondback bikes?

Old 02-02-17, 05:36 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Minor difference in adventure/gravel road bike geometries.

You'll have to test ride to see what bike fits you best. Most riders won't notice or care about the difference.

If you're happy with it, that's all that counts.
Old 01-27-21, 12:53 PM
duncdamonk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Here's mine. I counted something like eighteen DB logo's. Somebody was having fun.
Signed up JUST to ask, how's this bike holding up today? Do you still have it? I'm looking to purchase this same bike used from a private seller.
Old 01-27-21, 01:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by duncdamonk
Signed up JUST to ask, how's this bike holding up today? Do you still have it? I'm looking to purchase this same bike used from a private seller.
Seriously...You wasted your time and effort to join a forum to post in a thread that hasn't been active since 2017 JUST to ask about a used bike. If you don't have interest in a bike forum, I wouldn't join a bike forum. If you do have interest this is a poor way to show it. If you signed up and became an active member of the forum, you could have in a short period of time sent Gresp15c a private message.
Old 01-27-21, 02:23 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'm still quite happy with it. The frame and parts are not high-end, but have held up quite well. I can run through the things I've done with it:

1. New handlebar. Straight bars are tough on my wrists, and I've installed a FSA Metropolis swept bar and shorter stem.
2. Narrow-wide chainring. The bike was dropping its chain rather frequently, and the narrow-wide solved that problem completely.
3. Replaced worn out chain and cassette "on schedule" relative to typical lifespan of those components.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 01-27-21, 02:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Seriously...You wasted your time and effort to join a forum to post in a thread that hasn't been active since 2017 JUST to ask about a used bike. If you don't have interest in a bike forum, I wouldn't join a bike forum. If you do have interest this is a poor way to show it. If you signed up and became an active member of the forum, you could have in a short period of time sent Gresp15c a private message.
The poster signed up, asked a question, and got an answer to the question from the person they asked.
Looks like it all worked out quite well and it wasnt a waste of time or effort.

If anything, your post scolding the poster and my post responding to your scold are the real wastes of time and effort.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-27-21, 03:23 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
I have to agree. I’m really impressed that the follow-up poster searched and found this 4 year old thread and got a response.

Kudos to both!

John
Old 01-27-21, 06:13 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
I can't speak to Diamondback's quality, but any manufacturer that produced this bada$$ bike:

cannot be accused of being just another recycled name on a cookie-cutter frame.
Old 01-27-21, 06:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The poster signed up, asked a question, and got an answer to the question from the person they asked.
Looks like it all worked out quite well and it wasnt a waste of time or effort.

If anything, your post scolding the poster and my post responding to your scold are the real wastes of time and effort.
Well than we are wasting time! Meh.
Old 01-28-21, 08:39 AM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I have to add one more thing for the sake of completeness: I replaced the front QR skewer with one from my bin that seems to have more grip. This was after an episode where the front wheel shifted a bit in the fork ends after hard braking. I noticed because the brake began to rub. No crash or anything, I stopped, re-seated the wheel, and rode on without further issue.

This potential issue has been discussed at length in this forum, and the gist of it is that the torque on the front disc brake creates a downward pulling force on the axle, on bikes that have the brake caliper mounted behind the fork.. It would not be a problem limited to the Diamondback bike per se, but any bike with the same mechanical arrangement, which was most disc brake bikes of the era.

What I don't know is if my wheel came loose because I just hadn't tightened it enough. The fork has "lawyer lips," and they worked. Also, I am neither a pro mechanic nor an engineer, so I certainly can't offer qualified expert advice on this. It could have been simple user error on my part, but to play it safe, I installed an old fashioned internal cam skewer with relatively large diameter and well serrated gripping surfaces. I am also conscious of keeping it quite tight.
Old 01-28-21, 08:58 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
The brand is just a name slapped on a frame by a company. Frames rarely fail and they all tend to perform very similarly to other bikes of the same material and the same price point. Components of the same price point tend to perform similarly too. All bikes above big box level should have a long service life and perform reliably.

One poster mentioned that you can get a little more for your money with some brands. Diamondback seems to be a good bang for the buck company.
Old 01-28-21, 09:12 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I can't speak to Diamondback's quality, but any manufacturer that produced this bada$$ bike:

cannot be accused of being just another recycled name on a cookie-cutter frame.
That bikes not going very far without a chain. It could use some pedals, too. Fugly as can be, but its probably a purpose-built model (track racing?) that'll never see a local MUP.
Old 01-28-21, 09:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
That bikes not going very far without a chain. It could use some pedals, too. Fugly as can be, but its probably a purpose-built model (track racing?) that'll never see a local MUP.
tri bike