Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel Ride Pics

Old 11-06-20, 09:26 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,129 Posts

San Francisco skyline in far distance. Taken from Mt. Tamalpais, Marin County.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 11-07-20, 12:46 AM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by howardv

Backbone trail in Malibu (Encinal to Yurba Bueno) on a misty day.
i love riding that trail. My new favorite SoCal gravel ride/loop is to take Zuma Ridge up and over to the Backbone then follow it to Encinal, then Yerba Buena and lastly on to Sandstone Peak, then continue down Yerba to PCH and down the coast back to the car.
Old 11-07-20, 12:48 AM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by pbechard
Just got a nearly new 2016 Anyroad 2 and love it so far. Gotta get a few more posts before I can post a pic of it!
Congratulations. I love my 2014.
Old 11-07-20, 01:10 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
First pic isn't on gravel, but the ride definitely included gravel. The prominent mountain (Pilchuck) is the same in all pics.

Likes For HTupolev:
Old 01-27-21, 04:39 AM
croni

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks nice.
Old 01-27-21, 04:40 AM
croni

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That looks amazing
Old 01-28-21, 02:36 PM
Matadors

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
I have been following the canals around my county just to find areas I have never ridden.

Likes For Matadors:
Old 02-02-21, 09:43 AM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
How long does that canal path go for?
Old 02-02-21, 09:45 AM
franswa

Fresh oil

Old 02-02-21, 02:36 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts

Backbone trail in Malibu (Encinal to Yurba Bueno) on a misty day.
Awesome! How do you like that Grevil? I've seen a surprising number of them for sale for pretty decent prices, so I was wondering why. I'm looking for a gravel bike but was worried the Grevil might be more race oriented and not single-track capable. But it looks from your pic that maybe that's not the case. I'm currently leaning toward an Ibis Hakka MX, if I can even get one these days. What do you think?
Old 02-03-21, 09:03 AM
howardv

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Awesome! How do you like that Grevil? I've seen a surprising number of them for sale for pretty decent prices, so I was wondering why. I'm looking for a gravel bike but was worried the Grevil might be more race oriented and not single-track capable. But it looks from your pic that maybe that's not the case. I'm currently leaning toward an Ibis Hakka MX, if I can even get one these days. What do you think?
Love my Grevil. I've put about 2,000 miles on it so far and it's been a fantastic bike. The single tracks that I've been riding have mostly been tame. I'm not too comfortable on the more technical terrain. I'd say the Grevil is more road and race than technical tracks. But I chose it because I ride 20+ miles of highways and canyons to get to the dirt. Of course there are other gravel bikes which are more geared for dirt than road, you have to see what suits you best.

I also test rode the Hakka. It's an awesome bike. But the Grevil felt more comfortable to me. I'd attribute this purely to out of the box geometry fitting my body better. This will be different for every person, so it's not a good or bad point of either bike, just your body and your preferences. I actually like the Hakka better since it has less proprietary parts, such as no aero stem or seat post. Much easier and cheaper to upgrade in the future, such as adding a dropper seat post. I don't believe this is possible on the Grevil due to the aero seat post. And I think anything aero on a gravel bike is kinda useless and more of a hype.

So if you get a chance, test ride both. They're both great rides!
Old 02-03-21, 10:48 AM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Love my Grevil. I've put about 2,000 miles on it so far and it's been a fantastic bike. The single tracks that I've been riding have mostly been tame. I'm not too comfortable on the more technical terrain. I'd say the Grevil is more road and race than technical tracks. But I chose it because I ride 20+ miles of highways and canyons to get to the dirt. Of course there are other gravel bikes which are more geared for dirt than road, you have to see what suits you best.

I also test rode the Hakka. It's an awesome bike. But the Grevil felt more comfortable to me. I'd attribute this purely to out of the box geometry fitting my body better. This will be different for every person, so it's not a good or bad point of either bike, just your body and your preferences. I actually like the Hakka better since it has less proprietary parts, such as no aero stem or seat post. Much easier and cheaper to upgrade in the future, such as adding a dropper seat post. I don't believe this is possible on the Grevil due to the aero seat post. And I think anything aero on a gravel bike is kinda useless and more of a hype.

So if you get a chance, test ride both. They're both great rides!
Thanks! I'm in LA too. Where did you test ride a Hakka?
Old 02-03-21, 11:04 AM
howardv

Thanks! I'm in LA too. Where did you test ride a Hakka?
From Helen's Cycles in Santa Monica. They're an authorized dealer for both Pinnarelo and Ibis (along other brands). Just a heads-up, my Pinnarelo was assembled horribly. Took it back mulltiple times with issues and they couldn't fix it properly. Finally, I took the bike apart and put it back together properly myself. Bottom bracket wasn't torqued properly, cassette and derailleur hanger were loose, and handlebar/stem weren't torqued properly either (along with other minor things). Once I put it back together, it rode like a dream. I've purchased a lot of bikes from them in the past and they have a history of screwing up the assembly. Just a warning!
Likes For howardv:
Old 02-04-21, 04:00 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts

The fall leave coverage here makes for some very comfortable gravel. After December it gets too rainy and muddy so I tried to get out on gravel as much as I could before the rainy months.
Likes For Hmmm:
Old 02-07-21, 12:00 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
@franswa

Would love to ride somewhere like that !!!

What's teh bag on your handlebars ... think I~m going to end ip going this route as I can't seem to find anything the right size that goes on the rear that I can fit a rear light in a place that has good visibility.
Old 02-07-21, 09:15 PM
chancelucky

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Great day for having a gravel bike. I found this fire road just about 9 miles from home. 3.5 miles out until the mud got to be a little much. This is near Jordan Lake in North Carolina.
Likes For chancelucky:
Old 02-07-21, 10:29 PM
mattcalifornia

From Helen's Cycles in Santa Monica. They're an authorized dealer for both Pinnarelo and Ibis (along other brands). Just a heads-up, my Pinnarelo was assembled horribly. Took it back mulltiple times with issues and they couldn't fix it properly. Finally, I took the bike apart and put it back together properly myself. Bottom bracket wasn't torqued properly, cassette and derailleur hanger were loose, and handlebar/stem weren't torqued properly either (along with other minor things). Once I put it back together, it rode like a dream. I've purchased a lot of bikes from them in the past and they have a history of screwing up the assembly. Just a warning!
I went to Helen's today. They don't demo gravel bikes any more. : (
Old 02-07-21, 11:03 PM
howardv

I went to Helen's today. They don't demo gravel bikes any more. : (
During Covid they don't do rentals or demos. But you can still take a new bike for a test ride around the block. At least they allowed that a few months ago.
Likes For howardv:
Old 02-08-21, 12:26 AM
mattcalifornia

During Covid they don't do rentals or demos. But you can still take a new bike for a test ride around the block. At least they allowed that a few months ago.
I think it's also because they just don't have enough stock to justify having demos. I'm not sure how much I'll really be able to tell by riding around the block, but maybe. Thanks.
Old 02-08-21, 11:38 AM
franswa

Originally Posted by Witterings
@franswa

Would love to ride somewhere like that !!!

What's teh bag on your handlebars ... think I~m going to end ip going this route as I can't seem to find anything the right size that goes on the rear that I can fit a rear light in a place that has good visibility.
It was a great ride! Only went 30 but have the option to do 100 round trip. The bag is a Roadrunner California Burrito bag.
Likes For franswa:
Old 02-08-21, 11:51 AM
franswa

Another out of town Jaunt. Steeper climbs and a much harder surface than last weekend, with larger rocks. Really looking forward to getting my 650b setup for a more comfy ride.

Likes For franswa:
Old 02-08-21, 08:06 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Remember summer everyone?
Old 02-22-21, 04:05 PM
franswa

Thawed out

What a brutal week it has been here in Central Texas! Finally got water last night, after five days without. Fortunate to have had electricity the whole time. Hard to believe it was 70f yesterday.

Lots of downed branches and trees that made it like an obstacle course.

Likes For franswa:
Old 02-27-21, 07:31 PM
franswa

Another weekend, another ride

Got lost again

Likes For franswa:
Old 03-04-21, 08:20 PM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts

Sonoma by djk762, on Flickr
Likes For djkashuba:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.