Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Servicing an '80s Bianchi Virata

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-21, 05:02 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts

Hey all. Doing this for a guy on CL who decided to keep his bike, and I don't blame him.

EDIT: This bike belongs to blueskysound, so any questions or comments can be addressed to him. Thanks for all your help.

The issue is with the odd bottom bracket. Has anyone ever seen this? Can you take it apart to service it?

Last edited by Korina; 02-16-21 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-15-21, 06:12 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
Where are the cups? You should be able to tap the bearings off the spindle and get replacements at your local bearing shop.

that is a ‘91 and originally came with 600 8spd (downtube shifters) including crank and BB. What crank is on it now?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-15-21, 06:25 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,968 Posts
Looks like a pre-cartridge cartridge...don’t recognize it at all.

reminds me of a Miche...
Old 02-15-21, 08:39 PM
blueskysound

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here’s the crank. I put a lot of time and effort into this. It was rained outside for years. I have a lot of respect for bike shops that fix up a bike for $150 now, that’s basically parts cost. Dealing with rust alone could be time consuming even in a shop. I’m learning as I go. Thanks for your help all! I got a tiny amount of grit from inside the axles in the wheel bearings so I have to redo the new wheel bearings again. Then then I’ll clean up the derailer. I already ran all new cables and housing. Then onto adjustments and new bar wraps. Those bearings used for turning the bike are also probably dirty. I want to touch up the Celeste paint too. The bike fits me. I just loved the look and color and wanted to spare it from the scrap yard. Now I’m learning all about bikes beyond the basics.
Old 02-16-21, 12:21 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by blueskysound
Here’s the crank. I put a lot of time and effort into this. It was rained outside for years. I have a lot of respect for bike shops that fix up a bike for $150 now, that’s basically parts cost. Dealing with rust alone could be time consuming even in a shop. I’m learning as I go. Thanks for your help all! I got a tiny amount of grit from inside the axles in the wheel bearings so I have to redo the new wheel bearings again. Then then I’ll clean up the derailer. I already ran all new cables and housing. Then onto adjustments and new bar wraps. Those bearings used for turning the bike are also probably dirty. I want to touch up the Celeste paint too. The bike fits me. I just loved the look and color and wanted to spare it from the scrap yard. Now I’m learning all about bikes beyond the basics.
Hi!! Glad you made it! You're going to learn so much here. Have fun!
Old 02-16-21, 01:00 AM
blueskysound

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry I’m not permitted to post photos yet. Eight posts to go!
Likes For blueskysound:
Old 02-16-21, 01:07 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by blueskysound
Sorry I’m not permitted to post photos yet. Eight posts to go!
Yep, 5 per day; just to make sure you're legit and not going to spam everyone. So, how's every little thing?
Old 03-04-21, 10:11 PM
blueskysound

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Done overhauling

Well I finished cleaning out the spindle bearings the best I could, greased it and put it all back together. I adjusted the new cables and took a ride. I love it! I was asked to get rid of a pile of rusty bikes and I decided to overhaul this one cause it resonated with me. The style and Celeste color and seemed to be a classic. It feels as good as new and those STI shifters and brakes work great.