Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 08:44 PM
tomg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ride yesterday home inluded stop over to person i have been working with for almost 6 years. she has been living with paranoid schizophrenia for 20 plus years, a very special person. she died this AM from advanced breast cancer (refused to accept medical interventions). my rides amped to 33 miles today, thinking and searching for closure. i am so glad i have the health, bikes, and drive available to spin life, one day at a time! Peace be to Maria.
Old 03-09-06, 09:14 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LilSprocket
welp, so much for the commute home.....
I'm ok... just a scraped and swollen (swelling) knee... a few scrapes, front wheel just slightly out of true but otherwise my bike seems fine.
glad you're ok and too heall!
i had 3 close calls from 2 suv drivers and 1 car, but no impact today. it could be a space/time/mental handicap issue for these drivers who need cognitive retraining including testing their visual clarity .
spin safe!
Old 03-09-06, 09:19 PM
LilSprocket
Wheee

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88 phase 1/ Surly 1x1/Cannondale R700 WSD 650c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I don't know about Florida, but in California it is a crime to leave the scene of a traffic accident involving injury. Were there any witnesses?
yeah, it is here too... I feel dumb I didn't get the tag... I mean, she said she was gonna pull over

Originally Posted by jyossarian
Glad to hear you're OK LilSprocket. Were there any witnesses that got the plate #? Did you give a statement to the cops? How's your bike?

My ride home was the usual. Saw two bike cops going the wrong way down 3rd Ave. That's about it.
There were at least 6 ppl at the bus stop and I know 2 of them saw it all... A young guy who walks with a cane (I see him often) saw me get up off the asphalt and I saw him watching as I spoke with a cop... who turned the corner, ironically, after I had walked across the street and the lady (HA!) who hit me had pulled away, silly me, thinking she'd actually pull over...
The cop was real nice but said he couldn't do mcuh w/o the tag.

It just shocks me, though I know it shouldn't, that so often it seems people have such disregard for others...
Old 03-09-06, 11:04 PM
spidercyclist
The Spider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great commute today ,I hope the rest over the week is this nice . Have a good nite .
Old 03-10-06, 06:59 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wonderful ride in this morning with temps a balmy 62 degrees. The wind gods must have tired of tormenting me with headwinds and relented, providing a following wind for the first time in weeks. I absolutely flew in leaving late and still arriving early. I must have topped 30 mph on my favorite downhill hammerfest beside the airport-and that was nowhere near top gear. I guess we'll see 77 degrees today with the possibility of some rain-should be a great ride home.

I'm planning either some hills training on the road bike or maybe some mountain biking this weekend if it's as nice as predicted.
Old 03-10-06, 07:41 AM
amward

Bikes: ~1990 Bianchi Forte, 2006 Kona Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
8C/46F with a light rain and a strong headwind. Helmet without touque, short-sleaved t-shirt, light jacket, gloves, and shorts; only chilly part was waiting too long at a traffic light in the wind and rain.

Picked up some new tires yesterday and installed them last night to replace the stock CX tires on the Jake. Nice smooth ride. A bit faster than on the old tires, but I didn't push things too much with all the water on the road. Lots of sand, gravel, and other junk on the roads too, as the snowbanks really start to melt.
Old 03-10-06, 07:48 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LilSprocket, sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Morning commute today was overcast and the trail was damp. Mid 40s. I had a heinous headwind as well. But, it was a fine commute. The snow is almost completely off the trail but there are a few short sections of glare ice. I should be back on the Peugeot on Monday.

I had the funniest interaction with a squirrel. Part of my ride takes me over a long "boardwalk" that has fencing on either side. It ends at a bridge over a river. The squirrel was on the boardwalk and for some reason didn't realize it could just go through the fence to get away from me. I paced that poor rodent at 15 to 20MPH down the boardwalk and over the bridge to the other side before it saw a comfortable exit point. (I stayed a comfortable distance behind it, knowing their propensity to hurl themselves at bicycle wheels.)
Old 03-10-06, 08:00 AM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
50 kick arse degrees this morning and a tailwind , of course I still need to ride home but whatever. Roads were damp this morning so my once immaculate beater is gloriously filthy once more. I had to do the arm waving, evil eye , foul language thing to some cager who was itching to take a right on red, thus nailing me in the crosswalk. I felt a bit like a pitcher, "looking" the runner back to first .
Old 03-10-06, 08:43 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
56F when I left this morning w/ rain forecasted later today. Wore my rain jacket and took it nice and easy to keep the sweat to a minimum. It took 20 extra seconds of my usual time so taking it easy wasn't a significant impact. Tomorrow it'll be sunny and in the 60's. I think a leisurely ride is in order.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 03-10-06, 08:47 AM
joshdcu

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale R1000, 2005 Specialized Langster, 1991 Specialized Allez Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mjw16
The wind gods must have tired of tormenting me with headwinds and relented, providing a following wind for the first time in weeks. I absolutely flew in leaving late and still arriving early. I must have topped 30 mph on my favorite downhill hammerfest beside the airport-and that was nowhere near top gear.
Ha ha, it's funny that you mention the tailwind... I travel in the opposite direction as you, and the headwind this morning was unrelenting!
Old 03-10-06, 09:49 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NM-NewRoadie
SPIKED TIRES?!?! I thought I was hard core...but I won't ride in the snow...(not that we have any...) but where does one find spiked bicycle tires? and how well do they work in snow?

Ben
I ride with Schwalbe Ice Spikers. I got mine at MEC, but I'm sure you could find some online. Not cheap, but they'll last for years.
Old 03-10-06, 09:55 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Relatively fast ride in today. I was passed by a Porsche Carrera 4S, but then I was on his ass all the way in to my parkade. Nice car, great exhaust tone.
Old 03-10-06, 11:09 AM
eastbaybob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last night it sounded like a hurricane blowing though the neighborhood, but this morning was pretty calm with a nice layer of clouds. It took about 10 minutes to get into the office. I forgot to post yesterdays commute, it also took about ten minutes.

For the week I was 5 for 5 for bicycle commutes. For the year I am -1 for bicycle commutes.
Old 03-10-06, 11:18 AM
luckysnafu

Bikes: Felt F85 (2007), Fuji Regis (1980's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time I have ridden in everyday in a week 5 consecutive days for me...woohoo!!! Ok, I know it's not that exciting but I have been riding to work for almost a year and haven't had a full week riding. Anyway, it was warm this morning, already in the low 60s so I rode in shorts and a long sleeve shirt. Was sweating good by the time I got to work. Very windy today, should be interesting on the way home.

Ride last night was great. Had a tailwind and took a different route and flew home. I think it was one of my fastest times/average mph to date. Averaged over 19mph for the 8 mile trip. Good week of riding for me
Old 03-10-06, 11:34 AM
NM-NewRoadie
Mostly riding...mostly

Bikes: 1992 Trek 3 tube carbon 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LilSprocket- Glad you and the bike are OK! Hope your knee gets better soon. Crazy people in there cars...

Wednesday on my ride to my wife's work from mine I was slowing way down at a 4 way stop (I don't like to unclip, but I always come to a nearly full stop) and I see this SUV off to the left, he's way back so I had just started to pedal again when I realize HE'S NOT STOPPING! I had time to slam on both brakes barely clip out in time to get a foot down before falling over, and then i was able to point at the sign wave my arms and yell "what the hell is that?!?!" He just stared at me like I was crazy. Then did a california stop at the next stop sign one block down....Some people just have no clue...

Are we insane to commute on the same roads as them? hmmm....we must really like riding our bikes!
Old 03-10-06, 11:35 AM
NM-NewRoadie
Mostly riding...mostly

Bikes: 1992 Trek 3 tube carbon 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice crisp fall feeling ride today...Made great time, no wind at all. Wind is supposed to kick up today, weather man calling for 30-35 mph, with gusts up to 50...SHOULD BE FUN! :-) If it's not that windy, I'm going to to try my 20 mile route home...otherwise i'll be wimping out and doing the 5 mile one :-)
Old 03-10-06, 12:09 PM
mtessmer
Bikeman

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahhhh, very nice commute in this morning, I think I'll take a longer route at lunch, and maybe one of my long routes home. Spring is coming!
Old 03-10-06, 12:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
38F and a bit of a breeze coming off the river, but blindingly clear and bright. Apparently another storm is bearing down on us, bringing rain and maybe even snow in the foothills. Hopefully, I'll be out of here before it hits.
Old 03-10-06, 07:02 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
great to and from rides today, completed another 5/5 week and 100% commutes for 2006. wind was tolerable, temp high record 76degF!!. had flat rear tire (culpret was micro leak and failed "glue-less patch" 2 failures for 3 repairs). i have lost faith in this type of repair/patch!
Old 03-10-06, 08:28 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Warm ride home in a t-shirt and jeans. Took it nice and easy to enjoy the day rather than the usual ride fast to keep warm commute.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 03-10-06, 08:32 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
37 degrees and buckets of wet, gloppy snow/rain. Ugh.
Old 03-10-06, 09:08 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
shorts (both ways) and t-shirt pm (no gore-tex). weird weather, w/ 'record highs'.!
Old 03-10-06, 10:09 PM
spidercyclist
The Spider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Six days of riding this week. Five days of commuting.
Todays commute was somewhat nice. I hope next week commuting is this good. Have a good night.
Old 03-10-06, 10:29 PM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
39F and a 16 MPH headwind going in today. The windchill did not make me think I was in California today. 36F coming home with a 9MPH tailwind. What is with the weather, this is colder than January was.

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 03-10-06, 10:39 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
lilsprocket- what a drag!

that's a hit and run in my opinion and I think the law anywhere would back that up. You could try taking note of the day of the week and time of the incident and arrive at the same intersection about a 1/2 hour earlier and be prepared to stay a 1/2 hour later and bring a pen and pad and see if she comes through again.

Hope you're okay.

Originally Posted by NM newrodie
SPIKED TIRES?!?! I thought I was hard core...but I won't ride in the snow...(not that we have any...) but where does one find spiked bicycle tires? and how well do they work in snow?

Ben
Nokia studs for me. had heard about them for a few years and basically thought they were a joke-purchased only by the rider that had to have every new thing. Then read all the great posts about them in BF's and decided to shell out the cash (ouch!) and now think they are worth their weight in gold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.