Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter for Sciatica Sufferer: Citizen? Coda? Other?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 06-17-16, 10:02 AM
SquareRounder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last summer I had a bout of sciatica pain in my lower back and leg that lasted for several months. My doctor felt that it was exacerbated by my decision to ignore it the first few days and ride my bike to work despite the pain, and advised me to stay off the bike until it was resolved.

A few weeks ago, I got back on my hybridized Nishiki (a road bike that a shop turned into a commuter by changing to thicker wheels and mustache handlebars). I rode around the block slowly in low gear. The next day, the pain was back, and it lasted for two weeks.

I think the problem is the forward leaning position, and I'm hoping that a bike with a more upright position will allow me to keep riding.

My local shop recommended the Jamis Citizen, and said they could set it up to maximize upright posture. They're wiling to make mods and let me try it out before buying, and have ordered one in my size.

The Citizen, gets a lot of good reviews, but some people seem to feel that the Coda is a much better bike for not much more money.

Could the Coda also be set up for upright riding? Are there other bikes I should look at? Or other factors to consider?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-16, 11:11 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hurt my back after attempting to deadlift a huge amount of weight. Even sitting in a chair or car seat was extremely painful. It was very hard to ride any type of bike. The thing that helped me recover the most was doing spinal decompression exercises. You might also try an inverted table, which can decompress your spine for even longer periods.
Old 06-17-16, 12:12 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by SquareRounder
Last summer I had a bout of sciatica pain...
Walking a few miles daily will help. Walking is a great low impact exercise, and you can lose weight slowly too over time.

You may want to try raising your handlebar (steerer extender) before buying a new bike.
Old 06-17-16, 02:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Recumbent?
Old 06-17-16, 02:23 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Recumbent?
Old 06-18-16, 09:05 AM
SquareRounder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Pilates and acupuncture helped me recover, and now most days I'm fine- as long as I don't do anything to exacerbate it.

I asked my local shop if they could modify my current bike's handlebars for a more upright posture and they said no. I've been going to them for years for tune-ups and repairs and I trust them.

I've considered a recumbent, but I'm a bit put off by the prices. My research suggested that a decent recumbent runs in the neighborhood of $1000, which is a lot of money to spend at once, and to leave chained to a street sign in NYC.

Hopefully my local shop will have a Citizen for me to try next week, and I'll see how it goes.
Old 06-18-16, 03:45 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
My back pain and resultant leg pain resolve when I ride. I think the bent over position helps stretch things out.
Old 06-18-16, 04:15 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbent?
Old 06-19-16, 07:12 AM
corwin1968

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I would say that in the Jamis line-up, the Citizen might be a better choice than the Coda if you are looking for a really upright riding position. The Coda has a relatively aggressive riding position and although you probably could get the handlebars up there, it would probably require very high rise handlebars. The bigger the bike, the easier it is to get the handlebars up high but then you have to take stand-over clearance into account. If you go with the Citizen, I would recommend getting the one without suspension, unless you do a lot of riding over very rough terrain. For a recreational bike, suspension just adds unneeded weight and complexity.

My understanding on sciatica is that two things have to be present: 1) an impinged nerve (about 50% of all people have this but most don't have symptoms) and inflammation of that nerve. My doctor told me that at the first sign of a sciatic attack, start taking 800 mg of Ibuprofen, three times per day for at least two weeks and longer if needed. This helps reduce the inflammation part and so far, I haven't had a full blown attack in years. Chiropractic has also helped me. My sacroillial joint tends to lock up and once he fixes that, my lower back pain goes away. And, like another poster mentioned, the less I ride, the more problems I have with lower back pain.
Old 06-19-16, 10:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,364 Times in 1,382 Posts
Have you had an MRI? Have you seen a physiatrist? Sciatica occurs at different sites (on the spine) for different people, and it has different causes. Find the cause, don't just avoid the symptoms. As has been mentioned, walking helps a lot. Cycling may or may not hurt it, but it is unlikely to help, and if you're not helping, you might be hurting. I had crippling sciatica which required surgery.

Strengthen and stretch!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-24-16, 09:05 AM
SquareRounder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corwin1968
I would say that in the Jamis line-up, the Citizen might be a better choice than the Coda if you are looking for a really upright riding position. The Coda has a relatively aggressive riding position and although you probably could get the handlebars up there, it would probably require very high rise handlebars. The bigger the bike, the easier it is to get the handlebars up high but then you have to take stand-over clearance into account. If you go with the Citizen, I would recommend getting the one without suspension, unless you do a lot of riding over very rough terrain. For a recreational bike, suspension just adds unneeded weight and complexity.
Thanks corwin, that's the kind of info I'm looking for! It also confirms my local shop's recommendation. I'm still waiting for them to get one in for me to try, but I'm optimistic.
Old 06-24-16, 09:12 AM
SquareRounder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Recumbent?
I actually had the opportunity to take a spin on a recumbent trike last week. I went to the park and there was a guy sitting on one with a sign that said it's for sale. Turns out he has a shop and sells them. He let me ride it around the loop in the park, which includes a hill, and I felt find afterward. So it's definitely an option from the sciatica perspective. The problem is that the base model starts at $1000, and I'm not sure they're well suited to city riding. It was difficult to maneuver, being low down cuts visibility, and being wide makes it difficult to share the road. I'd also be nervous about leaving a $1000 machine on the streets of NY. I could pay even more and get a fold-up model, but I'm not sure lugging it up the stairs would be very good for my back either.

So I'm still hoping the Citizen will work.
Old 06-24-16, 10:59 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
OP, in your situation, I would look for a fully-upright bike, like a 'dutch'-style townie, or a beach cruiser. If that doesn't work, then maybe even a recumbent.

I feel for you, I had an episode of pinched nerve pain for a few months, vertebrae in the lower neck, causing pain in the upper back and left arm. Fortunately for me it didn't affect my riding, as the worst pain was tilting my head forward or looking down (or putting on socks --- my wife had to help me). On the bike with drop-bars, I got sweet relief with my back leaned forward and head tilted back/up.

A little physical therapy, stretching exercises, a few epidural shots, improvements to posture, and a sit/stand desk at work, now I've got it under control.

I hope you also find your path to health and comfort!
Old 06-24-16, 03:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Good story, @ruberad. Those therapies work, and I would have more faith in them than in any choice of bike. Choosing a bike that avoids the symptoms has a value, but nothing beats treating the cause. Believe me, I know this from experience.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 06-24-16, 09:52 PM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last summer I had a bout of sciatica pain in my lower back and leg that lasted for several months. My doctor felt that it was exacerbated by my decision to ignore it the first few days and ride my bike to work despite the pain, and advised me to stay off the bike until it was resolved.

A few weeks ago, I got back on my hybridized Nishiki (a road bike that a shop turned into a commuter by changing to thicker wheels and mustache handlebars). I rode around the block slowly in low gear. The next day, the pain was back, and it lasted for two weeks.

I think the problem is the forward leaning position, and I'm hoping that a bike with a more upright position will allow me to keep riding.

My local shop recommended the Jamis Citizen, and said they could set it up to maximize upright posture. They're wiling to make mods and let me try it out before buying, and have ordered one in my size.

The Citizen, gets a lot of good reviews, but some people seem to feel that the Coda is a much better bike for not much more money.

Could the Coda also be set up for upright riding? Are there other bikes I should look at? Or other factors to consider?

Thanks!
My Sirrus Sport did it for me. My sciatica (SI Joint) was caused by weight gain and the first thing they did with me at PT was put me on a bike to losen things up. I had gone from 170 to 240 pounds. The Sirrus got me under 200 again and now I've settled in and go between 170 and 180 depending on how much riding I do. Once under 200 I tried drops again and found I could ride comfortably again, though the neck bugs me from time to time on drops. I was having fun with a quick convert of the Sirrus for a while because fidgeting is fun, but I was going back and forth depending on how a felt too often. I'm forever going to have back problems, dad and grandfather had it and my cycling no doubt doesn't help so having both options is a plus, especially when aches and pains come when the weather changes.

Last edited by Allez3; 01-08-17 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-25-16, 05:05 PM
Keith K

Bikes: Giant Seek1, Rocky Mountain Hammer 29er, Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My sciatica issue was resolved with massage. Google search piriformis massage. Riding a bicycle can affect the piriformis muscle.
Old 06-26-16, 08:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Keith K
My sciatica issue was resolved with massage. Google search piriformis massage. Riding a bicycle can affect the piriformis muscle.
That's very interesting!

Old 06-26-16, 09:20 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Thanks!

How about installing one of those adjustable stem on your bike and play with the angle and height? You might find your sweet spot, that way.

I am having this same issue for the past three weeks now. I had to miss two days of work last week. I don't believe I got it from cycling as I haven't done any long rides for months now. At least, I hope it's not cycling related.
I found some massage technique in the web that seems to be helping a bit. I am planning to see a Chiropractor if the pain gets really bad again.

Last edited by DVC45; 06-26-16 at 09:40 PM.