Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Timaon 14" Folding Bike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Timaon 14" Folding Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16, 08:44 AM
AvenirFolder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Timaon 14" Folding Bike

On my ride yesterday, I happened across an older fellow (who looked Japanese) on a Timaon folding bike. It was a wee little thing that his companion/daughter? -- who spoke English -- told me was actually a kid's bike.

Here's what it looked like: Timaon T1 14 Inch Mini folding Bicycle Bike Front and Rear Mechanical Disc Brake Portable Variable Speed Bicycle-in Bicycle from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group! .

Oddly enough, it did come with disc brakes!

Has anyone else seen one of these out and about???
Likes For AvenirFolder:
Old 09-20-16, 12:31 PM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I like the disc brakes but I see 2 concerns.
1. The 2 piece stem is a horrible design on any bike; I would change that over to a 1 piece handlepost.
2. The derailleur is so close to the ground; it's going to be a problem if not dangerous.

I have a 14" Dahon Dove but never ride it anymore.
Sure it's OK for a 173cm tall guy to ride, but the short wheelbase and 14" tires are not really fun on anything rough.
I'd stick to 16" and up.
Old 09-20-16, 01:30 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
thor is now selling dahon dove knock-off /counterfeit bikes so, that may be an option for anyone interested.

Old 09-20-16, 08:18 PM
edelay

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
thor is now selling dahon dove knock-off /counterfeit bikes so, that may be an option for anyone interested. ]
Those Crius/LitePro bikes have a nice clean look to them.
Old 09-20-16, 10:08 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by edelay
Those Crius/LitePro bikes have a nice clean look to them.
Yes they do, and calling such a basic, common design "counterfeit" is ridiculous. Dahon may still sell a 14" wheel bike somewhere in the world, but it sure isn't in the USA. I might buy one.
Old 09-21-16, 04:12 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Yes they do, and calling such a basic, common design "counterfeit" is ridiculous. Dahon may still sell a 14" wheel bike somewhere in the world, but it sure isn't in the USA. I might buy one.
If I manage to get my weight lower, of which I'm working on, I'm considering a Crius from ThorUSA eventually. Really nice, small fold. It would be a perfect short ride (3 mile) commuter. These LIRR trains can get really packed some afternoons,...
Old 09-21-16, 09:24 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
If I manage to get my weight lower, of which I'm working on, I'm considering a Crius from ThorUSA eventually. Really nice, small fold. It would be a perfect short ride (3 mile) commuter. These LIRR trains can get really packed some afternoons,...
with a total weight of 19lbs and folding into some tiny package you can just chuck it into those IKEA bags, bring it into the train and no one would bat an eye at you.
Old 09-21-16, 07:22 PM
smallwheeler

...calling such a basic, common design "counterfeit" is ridiculous...
cognitive dissonance, my friend?

...I might buy one.
...I'm considering a Crius...
don't hesitate, guys. just do it.

Last edited by smallwheeler; 09-21-16 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-21-16, 09:06 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
I have the CRIUS 3.0 (3sp Nexus IGH) and its a very handy bike.
The light weight makes if very easy to handle folded/folding.
Easy to push around when folded too with a velcro keeping the 2 ends together.

I don't like the IGH much though.
Noisy and a feeling of inefficiency on the high gear.

All said, its still great as a light commute last mile bike.
Old 09-21-16, 11:00 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

cognitive dissonance, my friend?
I don't know what that means, so I couldn't say. My point is that copying a fold-in-half frame is about as counterfeit as copying a diamond frame: There's tons of them from tons of manufacturers.
Old 09-22-16, 04:29 PM
smallwheeler

never mind. once again, i'm over-thinking it. i'm sure any resemblance is superficial and purely coincidental.

(incidentally, i'm also beginning to believe that no one actually engineers or designs bikes - they just sort pop up fully formed like mushrooms after a spring rain.)

Old 09-22-16, 05:06 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm guessing both Dahon and Crius buy them from a manufacturer, neither did any designing. Dahon has bought frames before rather than go through the pain of actual designing. Remember the Curve? Or do I have the name wrong... Must be Curse.
Old 09-22-16, 06:28 PM
smallwheeler

Originally Posted by jur
I'm guessing both Dahon and Crius buy them from a manufacturer, neither did any designing. Dahon has bought frames before rather than go through the pain of actual designing. Remember the Curve? Or do I have the name wrong... Must be Curse.
well, also remember a while back, ed wong III informed us that all of dahon's bike designs come from a sort of communist/state capitalist bureau of central bicycle designing. so, dahon, in fact doesn't engineer or design bikes. they are just the number one producer of folding bike shaped objects.

by the way, have you seen the charming new offerings from langtu and fnhon? i mean, with these kinds of dramatic innovations taking place who really needs a big corporate goliath like dahon anymore (or it's pathetic offshoot, tern)?

Likes For smallwheeler:
Old 09-22-16, 09:06 PM
Joe Remi

never mind. once again, i'm over-thinking it. i'm sure any resemblance is superficial and purely coincidental.

(incidentally, i'm also beginning to believe that no one actually engineers or designs bikes - they just sort pop up fully formed like mushrooms after a spring rain.)

No, you're just being argumentative for the sake of argument. I've been around here a while, I'm familiar with it.
Old 09-22-16, 10:21 PM
smallwheeler

No, you're just being argumentative for the sake of argument. I've been around here a while, I'm familiar with it.
well, if that's what you think, would you care to present a counter-argument? so far, you definitely haven't. by the way, i just came in from a brisk 10 mile ride in the dark through some lovely countryside here. i even saw a bobcat sitting on a fallen tree. neat stuff.
Old 09-22-16, 10:56 PM
Joe Remi

well, if that's what you think, would you care to present a counter-argument? so far, you definitely haven't. by the way, i just came in from a brisk 10 mile ride in the dark through some lovely countryside here. i even saw a bobcat sitting on a fallen tree. neat stuff.
I like that story better.
Old 09-23-16, 08:26 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
well, also remember a while back, ed wong III informed us that all of dahon's bike designs come from a sort of communist/state capitalist bureau of central bicycle designing. so, dahon, in fact doesn't engineer or design bikes. they are just the number one producer of folding bike shaped objects.

by the way, have you seen the charming new offerings from langtu and fnhon? i mean, with these kinds of dramatic innovations taking place who really needs a big corporate goliath like dahon anymore (or it's pathetic offshoot, tern)?

actually that yellow bike is one of fnhon's more "original" designs probably the ONLY one, and the folding mechanism was different and amazing, i really don't understand why would they screw it up and compromise the frame with a fold and latch in the middle when their first design was sooo perfect with a seamless mainbar that does not fold! sigh, it was the only folder that intrigued me greatly so I had to snag one while we where visiting singapore.

Old 09-24-16, 03:13 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Smallwheeler.
You are wrong as normal.
The Dove and cirus are different colours.
Blimely.
Old 09-24-16, 03:08 PM
edelay

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Remember the Curve? Or do I have the name wrong... Must be Curse.
Hi Jur. Sorry, relatively new here. How come you are call the Curve the "Curse"?
Old 09-24-16, 03:11 PM
edelay

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I might buy one.
I was certain my next bike was going to be a used Brompton that I then upgraded... but one of these 5 speed Crius bikes might fit the bill too. Cheap, compact fold, nice looking.
Old 09-24-16, 03:12 PM
smallwheeler

Originally Posted by bhkyte
Smallwheeler.
You are wrong as normal.
The Dove and cirus are different colours.
Blimely.

i realize that now. one is "brilliant white" while the other is "bright white". thanks again for continually pointing out my embarrassing errors.

that being said, there is also the banian smart 14 (not to be confused with the crius smart 14 or the fnhon smart 14 which are two completely different bikes).

i can't recommend the banian smart 14 as i have only had experience riding the dahon dove which bears only the vaguest similarity to the banian machine and therefore i could not constructively comment.
i can however, enthusiastically recommend and endorse the videos of my 80 bike. you don't need to speak thai or want to buy a non-counterfeit folding bike object to appreciate the witty repartee they seem to effortlessly maintain in every one of their charming videos.

please like and subscribe. and if you're in the area, stop in and buy an inner tube or a meme lamp. why not?
Old 09-24-16, 03:53 PM
Joe Remi

Originally Posted by edelay
I was certain my next bike was going to be a used Brompton that I then upgraded... but one of these 5 speed Crius bikes might fit the bill too. Cheap, compact fold, nice looking.
Unfortunately I started looking around Thor's Garage Sale..now I want that $2500 Crius with the carbon wheels! But I'm sure it's a counterfeit Dahon and I will get 25 pictures to prove it. The internet is fun.
Old 09-24-16, 05:17 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Unfortunately I started looking around Thor's Garage Sale..now I want that $2500 Crius with the carbon wheels! But I'm sure it's a counterfeit Dahon and I will get 25 pictures to prove it. The internet is fun.
That Crius is fantastic,...but definitely not in my budget. The little 5 speed? More my style,...
Old 09-24-16, 05:43 PM
smallwheeler

ah the good 'ol days when strangers didn't take time out of their day in efforts to save you money.

That Crius is fantastic,...but definitely not in my budget. The little 5 speed? More my style,...
again, please buy one and write a review here. previously you mentioned being too heavy, but i don't think that should be a problem. i'm sure these fantastic crius bikes are all manufactured with tripe-butted sonusİ™ tubing just like the dahons that they are not copies of...

Last edited by no1mad; 09-25-16 at 09:39 AM. Reason: removed unflattering image
Old 09-24-16, 05:46 PM
smallwheeler

Originally Posted by Azreal911
...i really don't understand why would they screw it up and compromise the frame with a fold and latch in the middle when their first design was sooo perfect...
because they are not designers or engineers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.