Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Climbing with just one gear

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 04:12 PM
George3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Many people want a lot of gears, if they ride in steep hills, with their folding bike. They often pay much money for an eight or even twelve gear bike.

But IMO it suffices to have just one gear for that, namely a moderately low gear. One can use that also on plain terrain, against strong winds, and with heavy luggage, older age, and little muscle power.

Having just one gear will strongly reduce the weight, size, cost and repair time of your bike. And you can also do steep climbs walking or running along your bike, esp. with heavy luggage. That is also a healthy workout. So you can keep it cheap and simple.

It is also possible to choose an additional extreme low gear to have two gears. Why do you want more gears?
Old 05-19-17, 05:47 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I enjoy single speed bikes but additional speeds are also nice especially on extended grades, headwinds or both. In the winter I run my Brompton as a single and in warmer weather I go back to a 3 speed, or if serious climbing is likely I add a 38 tooth chain ring for greasy finger shifting, giving me about 5 speeds considering overlap. The extra gears usually let me go a little faster so I will extend my ride further in nice weather.
Old 05-19-17, 05:53 PM
George3

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 12boy
I enjoy single speed bikes but additional speeds are also nice especially on extended grades, headwinds or both. In the winter I run my Brompton as a single and in warmer weather I go back to a 3 speed, or if serious climbing is likely I add a 38 tooth chain ring for greasy finger shifting, giving me about 5 speeds considering overlap. The extra gears usually let me go a little faster so I will extend my ride further in nice weather.
Thanks for your interesting reply.
Old 05-20-17, 03:25 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
I love that feeling of working through the gears until I'm in the highest gear going at a fairly high speed on the flats or downhill. I love the sensation of speed that you can get on a bike which is far greater than any car with the wind beating against your face. Single gear is not for me. Also I'm heavy so need low gears for going up hills and walking with a bike always looks like a fail to me.
Old 05-20-17, 05:12 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
'Soon after his discovery of the beneficial effects of cycling, Frank Bowden acquired a financial interest in a small bicycle work shop in Raleigh Street, Nottingham-which he was later to form into the Raleigh Cycle Company. He foresaw the possibilities of the bicycle, but ever since his hill trips in France in 1887 he had in mind the desirability of a variable gear on the machine to help cope with gradients if cycling were to become a popular pastime and not simply the plaything of health and physical fitness addicts.' - Sturmey Archer, 50 Years of Leadership, 1952

The two-speed Crypto-Dynamic was a sensation when it debuted on the British cycling scene in 1882, and it was the commercial leader until the lighter, simpler Manchester Hub two-speed came on the market in the late 1890s. The question of 'how many gears?' occupied the cycle enthusiasts' debates for much of the period of 1900-1910. The 1907 'Multi-Speed Gearing' article in Cycling tried to present a neutral case, but ultimately was a little disparaging of one and two speed gearing. Certainly by the start of WWI the case had been decided in favor of three speeds, and those 3 ratios are still with us today.

Last edited by tcs; 05-20-17 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-20-17, 06:40 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Why do I want more gears? So I don't spin like a demented monkey when going faster than the crawl you seem to like. So I can handle all terrain. All weather. All company except Lance Armstrong.

Please go ahead and have only 1 gear. I used to commute on a singlespeed for about a year or more. I enjoyed the simplicity and imagined that I would have no maintenance. That was a pipe dream. Even the idea of less maintenance was a dream. Complexity in gearing does not equate more maintenance in my experience. Cycling conditions dominate - dry weather, low wear. Wet weather, extreme wear.
Old 05-20-17, 08:36 AM
George3

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Why do I want more gears? So I don't spin like a demented monkey when going faster than the crawl you seem to like. So I can handle all terrain. All weather. All company except Lance Armstrong.

Please go ahead and have only 1 gear. I used to commute on a singlespeed for about a year or more. I enjoyed the simplicity and imagined that I would have no maintenance. That was a pipe dream. Even the idea of less maintenance was a dream. Complexity in gearing does not equate more maintenance in my experience. Cycling conditions dominate - dry weather, low wear. Wet weather, extreme wear.
Tx for your reply. A single gear bike is much easier and cheaper to repair IMO, esp. if I can do it myself. And it is lighter to carry on the high and dangerous stairs of railroad stations, esp. with heavy luggage. I drive mainly in heavy city traffic where high speeds are not safe anyway. Your situation and wishes may differ of course.

I think the lowest gear of three gear bikes is not low enough. If I had two gears, I would like a moderately low gear for carrying heavy luggage, and an extreme low gear for climbing.

Last edited by George3; 05-20-17 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-20-17, 12:55 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not keen on a singlespeed folder if it is no good to ride out of the saddle. To my mind that is most bromptons other than the S bar model. If the bikes asks you to stay in the saddle, like my birdie when its in loaded pannier mode, I like to have a good range of gears to be comfortable sitting up hills etc.
Single speeds are frustrating often, but great when the situation suits.
Old 05-20-17, 01:31 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by George3
A single gear bike is much easier and cheaper to repair IMO, esp. if I can do it myself. And it is lighter to carry on the high and dangerous stairs of railroad stations, esp. with heavy luggage.
To each his own, but that hasn't been my experience. I estimate that at least 70% of my maintenance time is due to tires/tubes and another 10% to brakes. Eliminating the gears would only have rather minimal savings in maintenance effort.
Taking off the multi-gear related components would save me at most 2 lbs. so the bike weight would drop from about 24 lbs. to 22 lbs. If I'm carrying loaded panniers the impact would be even less - from 44 lbs. down to 42 lbs.
Neither benefit is worth giving up the convenience of being able to stay in a comfortable cadence range across a wide variety of terrain and wind conditions.
Old 05-20-17, 01:36 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Having just one gear will strongly reduce the weight, size, cost and repair time of your bike. And you can also do steep climbs walking or running along your bike, esp. with heavy luggage. That is also a healthy workout. So you can keep it cheap and simple.
No, no it doesn't. The change in weight is negligible (and only matters for carrying the bike, not riding it). Frame is what costs the money, not the gears. And the selection of folding bikes that are single speed are tiny.

And telling people to walk up hills? Seriously? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Sure. Have only one gear if you want. Save more weight? Only one wheel.
Old 05-21-17, 01:35 AM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
No such thing as a single geared bike because you always have the option of going for the 24 inch gear ..two feet..
Old 05-21-17, 02:44 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
But little difference in maintenance between a single speed bike and a IHG if you don't get punctures.
Also if your bike needs to run a chain tensior to fold, like the bromptom, it makes a lot of sense to make that chain tensioner a rear mech in my book.
A two speed Brompton seems the more sensible set up over a single speed imo.

Last edited by bhkyte; 05-21-17 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-21-17, 11:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Unicycle? Your gear is your wheel size.
Old 05-22-17, 03:25 PM
Barranquilla

Bikes: Brompton 2016 M2L - Gazelle - Mystery bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Two gears on my brompton, the first two weeks I had It I was looking up options to make it a 6 gear. But after a while I got used to it and currently I wouldn't want the extra weight of a 6 gear. I can do some hills in the lower gear as long as I keep my speed up and the high gear is high enough to go up to 30kph easily on flats (It's a commuter so that is more than enough for me);
Old 05-22-17, 04:00 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Unless you install a Schlumpf in there...
Old 05-29-17, 08:19 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
It really depends on 1). Your chosen gear ratio and 2). where you are riding.
Some places have almost no hills so gears are useless actually, or almost useless.
Right now have all my 3 folders set up single speed, but that will change.
Single speed even worked in LA whenI rode up thru Cold water canyon everyday, it wasn't ideal but it worked well enough.
The ratio is a 55 x16 on 451 wheels. Works great most places: London- fine, Seoul- fine, Munich, Germany -good. Paris -great. Zurich , fine. In NYC the only places you really need gears is the bridges, but even then you can grin and bear it, which I did for 15 years now I run a 7 speed on my daily/non-folder The places you can't use it Lausanne, Switzerland (!) and maybe if I go back to LA I would bring gears to make it more enjoyable, still gotta figure that out. So it depends on where you ride really. The weight savings is good when lugging the case around in airports that as for sure.

Old 05-29-17, 08:28 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
I did a 22 mile ride yesterday while pulling my son in a trailer. We were off-road for about 11 of those miles, and 4.5 of those were in water and mud in the swamp. I promise you that I made judicial use of the 8-speeds that I had at my disposal. There was no way that any single gear would have allowed me to pull a trailer through mud and also cruise along the ocean front at a decent pace.
Old 05-30-17, 07:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Originally Posted by badmother
Unless you install a Schlumpf in there...
True, but the Kris Holm Uni hub is an overdrive 2nd gear , the primary gear is still 1:1

schlumpf innovations

M3L with the Mountain drive , 6 speeds spread over a 17 ~ 80 G" range..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-30-17 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-31-17, 02:03 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
If you don't need gears, you don't live where I do.

Even pro riders use a compact drivetrain during "La Vuelta" when they ride here.
Old 05-31-17, 04:55 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I have a Dahon with horizontal dropouts. I tried it as a single speed, works ok if you are willing to compromise top end and walk up steep grades. I also tried it on a 700C bike, found I really missed downshifting for stoplights, its now a dingle speed, which is perfect for my use.
Old 05-31-17, 08:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Your Two Feet Gear is always the fallback option.
Old 05-31-17, 10:48 AM
badrad

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
My daily 60km commute with 4 hills would really suck with a single speed. I usually keep low gears while I get my heart rate up each leg of the ride, and then keep on higher gears when I am at my optimal HR, but as I am aging rapidly these days, it seems I stay on lower gears longer. Tooling around town with just flat spots, then okay I might do the hipster thingy a bit. Nowadays I'm not getting places fast, just making it there in one piece is the objective.

Last edited by badrad; 05-31-17 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-31-17, 10:58 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
There are chain driven unicycles. You can gear those as high as you like. (Side benefit - since the bottom bracket is above the wheel, those bike have plenty of pedal clearance for high speed cornering. )

Ben
Old 05-31-17, 11:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

the 6 foot tall ones are chain driven, you have one that is not 1:1, how do you stay up on it, got a video?
Old 06-05-17, 11:24 AM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Multi speeds are just so much more enjoyable. The human walks at about 4 miles per hour. I ride my bike at between 6 and 16 miles per hour most the time---rarely below 10 mph. Depending on terrain I might change gears 10 or more times per mile.

With a single speed I am rarely in the most efficient gear. One of the great joys of a bicycle is being able to efficiently match my mood and how hard I want to work to the ride I am on. A simple 8 or 10 speed derailleur geared bike easily allows me to be efficient in my workout. I have an electric bike for my girlfriend specifically so I can work as hard or as little as I want without having to wait for her. Much more enjoyable for both of us.

Expensive? really? a new cassette and chain every 5-10k miles? Weight? if a pound makes that big of a difference you might as well just walk.

People think bikes are expensive but spend $7 on a 50 cent cup of coffee or $100 on a $12 pair of pants. Never mind $30k for a car.

Long term one of the best values on the planet is a good $600-1000 geared folding bike---

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.