Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 08:14 PM
bdooner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Ouch!

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...cycles/556268/
Old 03-22-18, 08:41 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
I hope they do something with those bikes before the elements turn them into giant piles of rust.
Old 03-22-18, 09:33 PM
fireaza

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ideas are always great until you put them into practice and the realities of human nature ruins everything.
Old 03-23-18, 01:24 PM
luddite_68

Bikes: GT Zum & Fuji Gran Fondo

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I like the blue one.
Old 03-23-18, 01:45 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Must have been in one of Xi Jinping's 5-year plans. Market economies balance supply and demand a bit better than this.
Old 03-23-18, 01:49 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
What a waste... you could take all those bikes and have bike share programs in probably every city in the world. But like in China, those bikes would likely end up getting dumped somewhere.
Old 03-23-18, 06:28 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Dump them into the sea. No, seriously..... man made coral reefs / fish hiding zones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_reef

Last edited by Dirt Farmer; 03-23-18 at 06:34 PM. Reason: link
Old 03-24-18, 06:12 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Must have been in one of Xi Jinping's 5-year plans. Market economies balance supply and demand a bit better than this.
Sorry to rain on your parade but this was the result of pure, unbridled capitalist zeal. There is now an effort to regulate this industry as top players have gone broke. https://qz.com/1235417/bluegogo-and-...ness-in-china/
Old 03-24-18, 06:17 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I see it, but it's still hard to absorb the immense scale of this
Old 03-24-18, 09:22 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Coming soon to a neighborhood near you!

LimeBikes are littering the streets of Alameda, turning previously decent folks into bonifide bike haters. The butt ugly lime colored pieces of cycling trash are nothing more than an eye sore, and are laying around the community like so many empty Starbucks cups.

Dock less bike sharing should be illegal.

-Kedosto
Old 03-25-18, 02:57 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
Dump them into the sea. No, seriously..... man made coral reefs / fish hiding zones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_reef
Nah, razor blades
Old 03-25-18, 03:05 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You saw that too? I posted that in A&S yesterday. It truly boggles the mind to think that none of them made it to Walmart.
Old 03-25-18, 04:14 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
This post brought back some memories for me. I had the good fortune of traveling to Chine back in 1982 when the country was starting to open up for tourism. It was still in its infancy so you really felt like you were part of history. At that time, from what I recall hearing, private citizens still didn't own cars and people rode bicycles to get around. Funny how what goes around comes around in that they're now looking into bike-sharing to address traffic problems. I attached a picture of a 'parking area' for bikes in one of the cities we visited ... I don't think the concept of bike-sharing was yet in place so I assume these were people's bikes that they parked as they did their errands, etc.

Chine bicycle Pic.pdf
Old 03-25-18, 06:38 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Domino's comes to mind. Give one a tip and see how far it goes.
Old 03-25-18, 09:29 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
#13 raises two questions; first, what sort of repair is that, and second why would you repair what appears to be a rusty old single speed when you've got tens of thousands of practically new bikes piled up unused?
Then they all raise the question of how China hasn't yet posted container lots of rental bikes at $10 each on alibaba.com tons of used-but-functional parts at way below new cost on eBay, etc.
Reminds me of some photos from one of the radio groups, of thousands of $1700 (used price) Drake receivers piled on pallets, uncovered on an unused runway in the rain for months because nobody at whatever DoJ installation it was would assign them indoor storage space until they could be auctioned, and apparently even throwing tarps over them ended up in the "not my job" category.
Old 03-26-18, 03:18 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
This has been posted a few times before, but these are much better photographs, and showing a more widespread problem.

Apparently they had issues with "dockless" bikes. Ride, then dump anywhere.

I'm also not seeing any tracking on those bikes. The bike share bikes around here all have GPS systems with each bike, and I believe tracking so one can report a flat tire or maintenance issue with the bike when one drops it off. Mostly docked, but allowing undocked, but tracked.

I wonder if the government tried to provide FREE bikes for all. An ambitious project, but invariably leading to problems if not tracked in any manner.
Old 03-26-18, 07:45 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
This was done by several commercial entities (you know, 'businesses") which though they could capitalize on The overcrowding on Chimna's roads by bringing back the bike commuting which used to be ubiquitous.

All the companies wanted to have the most bikes so the odds would be greater that someone would grab one of there. Payment was made by smartphone-scanning an ID tag---people didn't car which company they supported so long as they had a ride, so numbers (supposedly) made the business more profitable.

Except they piled up everywhere---not so bad at subway stations, because they'd be there when everyone got off work---but of course the companies needed to have enough bikes so that when 10,000 were left at each subway station, there were still enough out there for everyone else---so each company needs two or three times as many bikes as it had riders.

Of course, most of the bikes were left in places where no one wanted them---sitting outside apartment complexes or whatever, inconveniently only available for the people who lived there. They also got dumped in parking spaces, on sidewalks, blocking narrow streets ... drop the bike at the market near home, walk home instead of trying to balance the bags on the bike.

Companies had to hire trucks to pick up discarded bikes, and had to hire crews to operate the trucks. Nobody cared about the bikes so they got abused, and didn't last as long as planned.

And so many companies tried to dominate with numbers .... there were a dozen bikes per rider.

And of course, most people would rather drive a cheap car than a cheap bike.

As for GPS tracking ... think of the cost for fleets that large---- and think how many people would steal the bike, strip the GPS unit, and sell it cheap and trash the bike.
Old 03-26-18, 09:29 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
That's pretty sad.
Old 03-26-18, 09:57 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
What a waste... you could take all those bikes and have bike share programs in probably every city in the world. But like in China, those bikes would likely end up getting dumped somewhere.
I thought that as well but bike sharing is doing well where I live.
The bikes are too small for me and expensive to rent but
lots of folks like them.

Personally I prefer my own bike.
Maybe because I use it every day possible.
Old 03-26-18, 10:13 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Those bikes are valuable just for the materials alone and won't be around for long.

Scrap metal is a hot commodity in China. They are the world's biggest importer of scrap metal because they can't mine it fast enough.

The article is a bit of drama. Notice that all the bikes are fenced in. They could have just as easily wrote about valuable scrap metal being safeguarded in locked enclosures or some such drama.

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-26-18 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-26-18, 10:32 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
This is the fact of dockless bike shares. It is large companies who don't care about anything dumping trash onto our streets expecting us to clean it up for them. Melt them down into cannonballs and fire them at OFO, LimeBike Mobike and all the other dockless bikeshare headquarters.
Old 03-26-18, 11:25 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Looks like someone accidentally put one too many zeros in the "Unit" column on that purchase order.
Old 03-26-18, 01:10 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
... Melt them down into cannonballs and fire them at OFO, LimeBike Mobike and all the other dockless bikeshare headquarters.
Exactly! The blow back on this bicycle dumping affects all cyclists.

Because of my year 'round bicycle commuting, I'm known in the hospital I work at as "the bike guy," and I've had so many people approach me with variations of "you bike people are dumping those ugly assed bikes all over our city..." I politely explain that I'm not involved nor condone such stupidity and encourage them to complain to their elected officials.

-Kedosto
Old 03-26-18, 05:21 PM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 74 Centurion LeMans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 35 Posts
Wow... And here I thought we had an issue with abandoned bike share bikes here in the valley.
Old 03-26-18, 06:18 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Exactly! The blow back on this bicycle dumping affects all cyclists.

Because of my year 'round bicycle commuting, I'm known in the hospital I work at as "the bike guy," and I've had so many people approach me with variations of "you bike people are dumping those ugly assed bikes all over our city..." I politely explain that I'm not involved nor condone such stupidity and encourage them to complain to their elected officials.

-Kedosto
I had no idea it is that out of hand.
Our values have changed I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.