Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike tips and advices?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bike tips and advices?

Old 04-17-18, 09:09 PM
Ryan Olivas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike tips and advices?

Anyone here uses a gps tracker device for their bike? Also, Im looking for suggestions of any accessory for additional ride safety... Thanks everyone.
Old 04-17-18, 09:22 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
GPS? On my cell phone. Of course I only use or reference my phone when I am safely stopped, off the bike and out of traffic. Any other approach is a unsafe distraction.

As when you're driving a vehicle, screens/displays, music, headphones, eating, etc. all create distractions that diminish your reaction time, your ability to deal with emergencies and changing conditions.

When riding, you should be totally and exclusively focused on the riding.
Old 04-18-18, 05:48 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I use Strava Premium, which has a tracking facility included.

Gives my wife a little peace of mind, plus there's either - depending on the weather - a cold G&T or a hot cup of tea ready for me as soon as I arrive home.
Old 04-18-18, 06:09 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Probably the wrong forum, but the mods will sort that out.

I use a GPS but only because I wanted the navigation tools. I'd previously used a normal bike computer. However, the ability to just put it on any bike without mucking about with wheel settings is nice (it's accurate enough for my needs without the speed sensors, etc). It's really all about what you need and what you want (not necessarily the same thing).

As for safety, for greatest safety, I wear four wheels, steel armour and six air bags. The radio makes it a nice experience and ensures I'm not distracted by them two wheeled nutters.
Old 04-18-18, 07:25 AM
Dyskolos

Bikes: 2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 and 2016 Giant AnyRoad CoMax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garmin Livetrack
Old 04-18-18, 08:02 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Yuchh! No thanks, I like to enjoy my riding and do not want it to become drudgery driven by fear and obsessive requirements to be totally and exclusively focused on it.
Old 04-18-18, 08:07 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I use my phone with the Runtastic road cycling app and/or Strava. The Runtastic app will live feed my location to a map in near-real time so my wife can see where I am and know that I'm still alive and OK if I'm still moving.
Old 04-18-18, 08:58 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Lots of free GPS apps if you ride with a smartphone. I find that with the screen turned off, my phone is good for about any length of ride.

I like all the data but the biggest plus is the map. If I explore new territory I can download the ride and look at where i went, find other ways to get there, find alternate routes around bad parts ...

A few Sundays ago I went on a group ride over mostly totally familiar terrain, with a few odd departures which turned out to be much better roads. Now I can redraw some old familiar routes and fill in some blanks.

If I were just using a computer for speed and distance, I would have to guess at the routes. Now i can lay them out in overhead view and elevation simultaneously ... beats getting surprised by those big hills halfway through a ride.
Old 04-18-18, 09:01 PM
natnatroswell22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually use a lot of accessories for additional protection and comfy ride as well. Spoke led which is pretty cheaper that adds visibility to your bike, bras bells, and the basics, gloves,helmet, knee pads and more.
Old 04-19-18, 08:17 PM
Ryan Olivas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thankyou for the suggestion everyone, will follow them
Old 04-23-18, 09:32 PM
donnaeastman

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah me too! I use GPS tracker whenever I'm cycling. Just to keep me on track all the time.
Old 04-24-18, 08:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
I let ppl know when & where I am & headed to, when I turnaround, & when I'm back home or back at my car
Old 04-24-18, 08:18 PM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quadlock + smartphone

I only use it when I am in a part of town I don't know and need directions to get to my destination
Old 04-24-18, 08:35 PM
Ryan Olivas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I let ppl know when & where I am & headed to, when I turnaround, & when I'm back home or back at my car
I forgot to include the reason why I asked for the tips, it's because I'm planning to do bikepacking alone. Basically, if I am just headed into the town then I'll probably just tell my fam bout it.
Old 04-24-18, 10:38 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Icedot
Old 04-26-18, 01:13 AM
natnatroswell22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I use my phone with the Runtastic road cycling app and/or Strava. The Runtastic app will live feed my location to a map in near-real time so my wife can see where I am and know that I'm still alive and OK if I'm still moving.
my first time to hear about this app. will definitely try them tomorrow
Old 05-03-18, 04:36 PM
PanYAgua

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Garmin Livetrack
Old 05-06-18, 09:16 PM
Ryan Olivas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
Icedot
Oh , I made a research of it and it's good seeing how it works. However, there were some issues or complaints from the people as I've seen in the review section and in the youtube.
Old 05-08-18, 04:12 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan Olivas
Anyone here uses a gps tracker device for their bike? Also, Im looking for suggestions of any accessory for additional ride safety... Thanks everyone.
Originally Posted by Ryan Olivas
I forgot to include the reason why I asked for the tips, it's because I'm planning to do bikepacking alone. Basically, if I am just headed into the town then I'll probably just tell my fam bout it.
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
.. .As when you're driving a vehicle, screens/displays, music, headphones, eating, etc. all create distractions that diminish your reaction time, your ability to deal with emergencies and changing conditions.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Yuchh! No thanks, I like to enjoy my riding and do not want it to become drudgery driven by fear and obsessive requirements to be totally and exclusively focused on it..
I’m an exclusive road / commuter cyclist, and I presume my approach to safety (link) is different than safety off the road. Nonetheless attention to the ride whether to be alert to the dangers, or enjoy the ride is paramount (without comment about listening to music, etc.).

Otherwise, the only accessories (gadgets) I use for safety are lights and a rearview mirror.
Old 05-08-18, 10:51 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I just use the Runkeeper app on my phone and use the cycle setting to track my progress. As for if my wife wants to track my location, we have the Life360 app on all our phones so she can just open up that app and see where I am. It runs in the background so I don't really have to open it or do anything once you set it up. Then I just put my phone in low battery mode and the drain on my battery is fairly limited while I'm out riding.
Old 05-09-18, 12:12 AM
Ryan Olivas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your tips and advices. Also, thanks for opening up your comment and opinions, good or bad, appreciated it all
Old 05-09-18, 07:40 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by beachball42
I just use the Runkeeper app on my phone and use the cycle setting to track my progress.
Similar for me, but I subscribe to Runkeeper Go, and enabled Live Track. Also set up to post on my Facebook feed, view-able only by my spouse. And added my spouse to Runkeeper so they can view my Live Track.

One caveat - most of these tracking apps require cell coverage and/or data coverage.

Where I usually ride this is not an issue. BUT the tracking "dot" at the server will just sit there while you are out of coverage until you "pop" back into coverage some minutes/hours later.

You will want to discuss this "feature" BEFORE it happens, not after.

-mr. bill
Old 05-09-18, 03:09 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Yuchh! No thanks, I like to enjoy my riding and do not want it to become drudgery driven by fear and obsessive requirements to be totally and exclusively focused on it.
Must you always be so tenaciously literal? Most of us understand what the other poster was saying.
Old 05-09-18, 03:17 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
Probably the wrong forum, but the mods will sort that out.

As for safety, for greatest safety, I wear four wheels, steel armour and six air bags. The radio makes it a nice experience and ensures I'm not distracted by them two wheeled nutters.
I don't know, it doesn't seem like all the crumple zones, multiple airbags, anti-lock braking, traction control, etc. and etc., it does not appear that all this automotive innovation has any positive effect on the number of automobile driver death and dismemberment statistics. They continue to rise year over year and last year spiked out of all proportion to the number of new cars purchased the previous year. You want safety? Fly. Next safest is bus or train. Nothing else comes close.
Old 05-11-18, 11:56 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Must you always be so tenaciously literal? Most of us understand what the other poster was saying.
Please explain how " When riding, you should be totally and exclusively focused on the riding" does not mean when riding, you should be totally and exclusively focused on the riding.
What special "understanding" does your crystal ball tell you that really means?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.