Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Help evaluating this crowdfunded ebike

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 01-01-20, 11:13 PM
oldgalcruising

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am toying with the idea of purchasing an ebike. Came across this crowdfunding ebike. Since I've never owned an ebike, I have no frame of reference and undoubtedly won't be asking the right questions. I will be riding the bike around town only (not on dirt or gravel roads). Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Oh dear. Am not allowed to post the link. A goggle search using the following will take you to the bike I am interested in:
indiegogo capri e-bike

Last edited by oldgalcruising; 01-01-20 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-01-20, 11:41 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Here's the link,.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/capri-e-bikes#/

They propose a 35 pound (16 Kilo) bike with 250W hub motor and 36V 7AH battery for $1350 USD. The battery, motor, and electronics available alone for $729 USD. Max speed of 25kmh, (15mph)

Yes, the technology to implement the above e-bike is available commercially, and I believe I could buy the motor and a similar battery over the counter from China. It would probably cost me around $500-600 USD.

I think their range chart is acceptable, maybe a bit on the high side, as their test rider could be putting in some effort.

You have to realize this is a very mild mannered motor. It probably wouldn't sell here in the USA.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 01-02-20 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-01-20, 11:52 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
My comment is not about the bike but the crowdfunding. You can go into pretty much any bike store and buy an e bike, and you may even have a local e bike store. What’s the attraction of waiting until April, you hope, or maybe never?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-01-20, 11:59 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
The price seems a little high for what they offer.
I mean, they offer Brooks saddle and hand grips, then put on the cheapest derailleur on the market,
Basically it's a city bike they normally produce with a motorized hub, something you can find almost anywhere.
If you look at the distance the bike can travel on one charge, the conditions are very controlled. In an enclosed bike track, so zero winds, completely smooth and flat, plus they mounted racing tires on the bike with a much higher tire pressure.
Those are just a few things that put me off.
Other than that, it is a nice looking bike. I do not think it is particularly better or worse than most e-bikes you can find on the market today.
Which makes me wonder, if all they do is add a motorized hub to a bike they have been producing for years, why is there such a long wait for the release?
Old 01-02-20, 01:19 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
I'm turned off by crowd-funding because the individuals aren't compelled to send the buyers anything. Also, most of what I've seen could be replicated by careful purchases (IMO).
Old 01-02-20, 07:15 AM
oldgalcruising

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank all of you for taking the time to offer your thoughts. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-02-20, 10:19 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
As someone who has crowdfunded numerous items, and waited for one nearly 4 years, I concur with the above. Crowdfunding should only be for (1) things you can wait indefinitely for, and (2) with $ you can afford to lose. I always go into them with the attitude of "if I get it, that's cool, if not, whatever". As a result, I'm never disappointed, lol.
Likes For linberl:
Old 01-02-20, 05:35 PM
oldgalcruising

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too have crowdfunded. I don't think I've done it as many times as you have, but I've always had success. My first time was for a tent I hoped to use during the upcoming summer, and indeed it was months late and I did not put it to use until a year later. Lesson learned.Thereafter, I never funded anything I ever considered to be on a deadline. In addition, this would be the first truly expensive item I have ever considered taking a chance on. The Capri bike interested me, as it is lighter than most e-bikes and the rider can easily sit upright - two important features for me. I am grateful for all the warnings and will continue to look locally for something else.

Last edited by oldgalcruising; 01-02-20 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-02-20, 08:15 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
I think we can add that it might be worth it if the item(s) are of a unique nature or a compelling unique selling proposition (USP). There may not be anything earth-shattering about the e-bikes in the Indigogo campaign but there will be individuals who will find them desirable enough. Just look how fast they reached their funding goal. As others have said, you can pretty much retro-fit any city type bike with an aftermarket conversion kit, but apparently there is a market for these crowdfunded e-bikes.

Originally Posted by linberl
As someone who has crowdfunded numerous items, and waited for one nearly 4 years, I concur with the above. Crowdfunding should only be for (1) things you can wait indefinitely for, and (2) with $ you can afford to lose. I always go into them with the attitude of "if I get it, that's cool, if not, whatever". As a result, I'm never disappointed, lol.
Old 01-02-20, 08:51 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by oldgalcruising
I too have crowdfunded. I don't think I've done it as many times as you have, but I've always had success. My first time was for a tent I hoped to use during the upcoming summer, and indeed it was months late and I did not put it to use until a year later. Lesson learned.Thereafter, I never funded anything I ever considered to be on a deadline. In addition, this would be the first truly expensive item I have ever consider taking a chance on. The Capri bike interested me, as it is lighter than most e-bikes and the rider can easily sit upright - two important feathers for me. I am grateful for all the warnings and will continue to look locally for something else.
The Helix bike was 4 years from funding and still not fully delivered. Otoh, Bike Friday has crowdfunded 2 bikes and all were delivered on time - the difference being an established reputable company versus a start up with no track record. I funded an e-bike wheel and was lucky to get 70% of my money back as many people lost everything (some up to 2 grand). So my rule of thumb now is nothing over a hundred dollars unless it's a company with a track record of delivery. Getting half off a bike you never receive is not a good deal. Furthermore, most e bikes have proprietary batteries or other parts and many crowdfunding companies fail to survive a year so then you're SOL. Stick with something reputable for such a big purchase. You'll be glad you did.
Old 01-02-20, 11:50 PM
2old

Originally Posted by oldgalcruising
I too have crowdfunded. I don't think I've done it as many times as you have, but I've always had success. My first time was for a tent I hoped to use during the upcoming summer, and indeed it was months late and I did not put it to use until a year later. Lesson learned.Thereafter, I never funded anything I ever considered to be on a deadline. In addition, this would be the first truly expensive item I have ever considered taking a chance on. The Capri bike interested me, as it is lighter than most e-bikes and the rider can easily sit upright - two important features for me. I am grateful for all the warnings and will continue to look locally for something else.
Seems like there are many "upright" ebikes available or find a comfortable bike and "convert" it. There are many individuals on this site you can use for assistance.
Old 01-02-20, 11:55 PM
2old

Originally Posted by linberl
The Helix bike was 4 years from funding and still not fully delivered. Otoh, Bike Friday has crowdfunded 2 bikes and all were delivered on time - the difference being an established reputable company versus a start up with no track record. I funded an e-bike wheel and was lucky to get 70% of my money back as many people lost everything (some up to 2 grand). So my rule of thumb now is nothing over a hundred dollars unless it's a company with a track record of delivery. Getting half off a bike you never receive is not a good deal. Furthermore, most e bikes have proprietary batteries or other parts and many crowdfunding companies fail to survive a year so then you're SOL. Stick with something reputable for such a big purchase. You'll be glad you did.
Agree, and might consider crowdfund from an established company like the one Juiced bikes had recently. Also, the bike was compelling.