Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My bike was stolen

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My bike was stolen

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-20, 07:06 PM
gquirk77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike was stolen

Came here for some advice and to mostly just rant.

Someone climbed onto my 2nd story apt porch last night while I was soundly asleep about 10 feet away. They grabbed my Motobecane Single Speed that I just bought in June, I only paid $250 for it but I had put about $700 into it (new saddle, handlebars, tires, pedals, chain, brake levers, etc). I feel so violated! I lock the bike up 95% of the time (and cover it under a tarp) but yesterday I went on a ride and just put it on my porch when I got home. Just drove around looking for my bike in the area where I live, I knew the thief wouldn't be out riding it but I had to get out and try to find it. Tomorrow I will call the bike shop that worked on it to hopefully get the serial # (my dumbass never wrote it down), then will file a police report (which is probably useless) and then gonna go hit up some pawn shops in case the thief sold it to one of them.

Any advice on getting a GPS tracker on my other bike? Do they all have monthly subscription fees?
Old 12-07-20, 07:14 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Sorry about your bike.
Even if you have renters insurance the amount is probably not worth it to make a claim.
At least make a police report.
Old 12-07-20, 08:34 PM
gquirk77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
The thief is probably someone living near you. They probably saw you didn't lockup and took the chance.

The thief was definitely scoping my bike out before last night because my porch is pitch black and you can't see it from the yard area, there's no way they just happened to see it last night for the 1st time. I'm thinking it was a neighbor or a neighbor told someone about my bike and they snagged it. But I usually do lock it and cover it with a tarp (but you can still see the bottom part of the wheels when it's covered). I'm so angry and kinda scared, so weird to think they were climbing up my porch last night and I was asleep 10 feet away.
Old 12-07-20, 08:37 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Sux..

Do you have apartment insurance?
Old 12-07-20, 08:44 PM
gquirk77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Sux..

Do you have apartment insurance?

No, I don't have renters insurance. I looked into getting it like a year ago but the deductible was $1000 and the monthly premium was around $30. I don't have enough stuff worth that much more to make it worth it. All I really have is a tv, clothes, and 2 bikes (1 bike now). If someone stole the TV I wouldn't really care cause I didn't buy it and TVs are pretty cheap these days (it's amazing what you can get for around $300).
Old 12-07-20, 08:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by gquirk77
No, I don't have renters insurance. I looked into getting it like a year ago but the deductible was $1000 and the monthly premium was around $30. I don't have enough stuff worth that much more to make it worth it. All I really have is a tv, clothes, and 2 bikes (1 bike now). If someone stole the TV I wouldn't really care cause I didn't buy it and TVs are pretty cheap these days (it's amazing what you can get for around $300).
Maybe keep the bike inside and the TV on the porch.... kidding

Sounds like you put a lot of time into the bike, so i feel your pain.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 12-07-20, 08:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
I would keep the TV on the porch and the bikes inside for sure. About the only thing I use the T.V. for is watching Digital Video Discs with family beyond that I use computer and iPad for T.V. style viewing.
Old 12-07-20, 09:07 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Register both your bike at BikeIndex.org
Old 12-07-20, 09:43 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Check CraigsList, including nearby areas, as well as Let Go and other sell-your-stuff sites. Good luck.
Old 12-07-20, 11:20 PM
dragoonO1

Bikes: My bicycles have two wheels.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
In addition to https://bikeindex.org/, you may register at https://project529.com/garage/. I wish you good luck in your search.
Old 12-08-20, 03:26 AM
barakah

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Let me tell you something my good friend, when people say to you “ at least make a police report “. That means your on your own.

I never understood when people bike that has a value and keep the bike outside their house, i store all my bikes inside my house, it’s best for you only if you knew it.

loosing a bike when you’re out and about is a different story, good luck.
Likes For barakah:
Old 12-08-20, 06:25 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Police reports are only so law enforcement know where the crimes occurs, they rarely get the bikes back. I have stated before, sometimes the police won’t even file a report. I had an employee call the police when his bike was stolen and the police would not even make a report. Make an effort to keep bikes inside . It is the safest solution. When my employee came to work I would have him bring it in to the shop .
Old 12-08-20, 09:26 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by samui88
sorry to hear that. I had same experience in past
Ditto. To the OP, definitely do the police report. It will likely lead to nothing, but it’s important for the police to know what crimes are going on where, and maybe it will have some sort of positive effect.
Old 12-08-20, 09:37 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
After 4 bikes stolen... a couple from my being too lax, all bikes kept inside. Be aware of someone following you home. Happened once to my daughter.
Sounds like someone scoped the bike out and took it.
I filed police report on one of the bikes... but that is useless. Kiss it goodbye, be more vigilante and take this opportunity to get a new bike.
Old 12-08-20, 11:49 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I know this doesn't help with your current problem (and, totally sorry about the theft) but you really should shop around on some renter's insurance. It's not about someone lifting your DVD player, it's about a fire, smoke or flood (eg upstairs plumbing) ruining everything you own -- replace your whole wardrobe and all your furniture and the electronics AND of course, two bikes. That's easily 12,000 worth of stuff...
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 12-08-20, 01:27 PM
CaliDreaming

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry to hear about this. As others have mentioned, check local listings (Craigslist, OfferUp, etc.) and see if the police might know of any other areas where stolen bicycles tend to be sold in your town.
Old 12-08-20, 01:28 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Hardest problem is going to be moving past it. Hard to let something like that go sometimes.

Definitely watch CL and facebook market place. I've read a number of stories of people having their bikes recovered by the police, so while not likely not impossible either.

A cheap panic alarm hooked to the bike would have scared off the thief in this case. An idea I got off another thread here. Post #15

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...hile-tour.html
Old 12-08-20, 02:57 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would keep the TV on the porch and the bikes inside for sure. About the only thing I use the T.V. for is watching Digital Video Discs with family beyond that I use computer and iPad for T.V. style viewing.
That’s not what DVD stands for. Hard to know because this may be the first time I’ve seen it spelled out in a decade.
Old 12-08-20, 04:30 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,643 Times in 950 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My advice, call the cops, register with bikeindex and check Craigslist. You will need the SN with the police and bike index. Don't expect too much from any of them. But, out of three bikes stolen between 2010 and 2016 I found one on Craigslist..

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...bike-back.html

The police recovered another. Then lost it.

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...olen-bike.html

Hope this helps a little.
Old 12-08-20, 05:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That’s not what DVD stands for. Hard to know because this may be the first time I’ve seen it spelled out in a decade.
It is a correct spelling, I believe now it is Digital Versatile Disc. Though yes most people just say Dee vee dee but I prefer to spell it out though I have always preferred Video vs. Versatile though I do like versatility.
Old 12-08-20, 07:16 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by gquirk77
Came here for some advice and to mostly just rant.

Someone climbed onto my 2nd story apt porch last night while I was soundly asleep about 10 feet away. They grabbed my Motobecane Single Speed that I just bought in June, I only paid $250 for it but I had put about $700 into it (new saddle, handlebars, tires, pedals, chain, brake levers, etc). I feel so violated! I lock the bike up 95% of the time (and cover it under a tarp) but yesterday I went on a ride and just put it on my porch when I got home. Just drove around looking for my bike in the area where I live, I knew the thief wouldn't be out riding it but I had to get out and try to find it. Tomorrow I will call the bike shop that worked on it to hopefully get the serial # (my dumbass never wrote it down), then will file a police report (which is probably useless) and then gonna go hit up some pawn shops in case the thief sold it to one of them.

Any advice on getting a GPS tracker on my other bike? Do they all have monthly subscription fees?
Create a post and a picture of the bike on Craigslist, Facebook Market place, and let it go.

Back in May during the lock down I was checking Craigslist everyday looking for a specific used bike to buy and I ran into an ad about a stolen brand new bike (it was stolen from his car while he was grabbing food after picking it up from the LBS) A month later I saw that exact bike up for sale and I searched for the stolen ad to contact the owner. He later recovered his bike. You never know where it might pop up for sale.
Old 12-08-20, 10:47 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Sorry for your loss. It really sucks to have your bike stolen. There's some valuable lessons here for which you paid $1000 tuition. You lost a good bike but one that can be replaced with an even nicer bike! Keep it inside and re-consider renter's insurance - some policies might cover property lost outside of your apartment.
Old 12-09-20, 12:07 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
And now for stupid questions...but why are serial numbers so difficult to read? I have two newish bikes and for the life of me, the numbers are really hard to make out. Maybe I need to read the numbers outside on a sunny day?
Old 12-11-20, 10:58 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.Sounds like a few people were in on that crime.Cant imagine someone dropping a bike down onto the ground without making noise.Hope you find it in one piece and can get it back.Good luck
Old 12-12-20, 10:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
I have a phrase which I use on myself on a regular basis which is unfortunately appropriate. It’s “Paying the stupid tax”. Sorry you lost your ride and hope it turns up for sale on CL or some other listing you will spot. Please keep the next one inside. Best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.