Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where we are in 2020 and the cost of road bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Where we are in 2020 and the cost of road bikes

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-20, 09:24 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Good to hear you have figured out why your perceptions is flawed.
$3000 is not entry level for road bikes. Its not even close to entry level. $3000 gets you a bike that effectively performs probably 97% of a bike 3x more expensive.

There could be 15 levels of carbon frames, but if the ride feel between the top level and the 12th level is imperceptible to most and the effective performance is 97% of the top level, then no it isnt entry level, even though its close to the bottom. Thats an exaggerated example, but its basically what this discussion has turned into since its one of perception.

$3000 is entry level...come on now. Step back and recognize the absurdity in that.
You are right, on an absolute/rational scale, considering a $3000 bike as being entry level is indeed absurd. On that, I do not absolutely do not disagree. But I will dispute your assertion that the perception is *flawed* - it may be different, it may be not be "fair" (inasmuch as perceptions can be called fair or unfair), but it is what it is.

I think we can all agree that most of us are buying these expensive bikes not because of objective improvements in quality but perception of value. That's the reason people buy Dura Ace instead of Ultegra, top-end aero bikes, carbon wheels, etc. etc. In fact, one might say "perception is everything" (sorry, Spesh). So what drives perception?

Some products are very easy to evaluate (weight, horsepower, 0-60, MTTF, processing speed, etc). Other products are relatively harder - how do you evaluate the quality of a nice pair of shoes (say, Lobb or Berluti) or a luxury watch or even a high-end bike? Most people - you and me included - rely on proxies for quality in such case: brand reputation, brand image and how it aligns with our self-perception. And one of the major drivers of perception is price point/price tiers.

In this case, when a brand sells products ranging from $2000-4000, $3000 can be seen as mid-level. When a brand sells a product ranging from $2000-3000, $3000 is top-level. When a brand sells products ranging from $2000-$10,000, $3000 can indeed be seen as entry level. Let me take a parallel with watches. To a casual consumer - $1000 for a watch is Big Money. A $2000 Tag is a luxury watch. But to enthusiasts, a $25,000 Patek can (and is) an entry-level watch. The idea of a $25k watch being entry-level is patently absurd by all objective measures, but perception is not objective. The factors that lead a person to find a $25k Patek to be entry-level are very much valid for that person.

The "flaw" that I was referring to - in this context - was more of approaching the idea of value from a different perspective and so not having a common basis for discussion. But personally, yes, a $3000 bike does seem entry-level to me these days: mainly because of all the bells and whistles it is missing compared to the higher end frames (aero, concealed cables, carbon wheels, electronic shifting, etc etc).

On a different note: someone mentioned above that this an apple-to-oranges comparison. That is true. But that doesnt invalidate things. The benchmark for high end has shifted upwards. A quick parallel - in the 90s, a QB with a rating of 90 was elite. These days, 90 is barely average, IIRC (I am an Eagles fan for my sins, so I dont know much about good QB play in 2020). An Ultegra bike in 2010 was very close to top of the line. An Ultegra bike in 2020 is several layers behind whatever constitutes top of the line these days.

How you perceive that depends on whether you want to go by an absolute scale (well, I have 1 gear more, and the same level groupset) or by a relative scale. Neither is invalid - it all depends on your personal value/perception heuristic, and is not something that can be determined objectively.
Old 12-15-20, 09:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I really want to thank Koyote and Guadzilla for providing entertainment ... but I will instead be mature and go off-topic.

I have the Cannon 70-200 ... I got a cheap version (no IS, because I pan with it a lot and also because even at 200 mm the shake (even with my palsy) isn't bad. I cannot hand-hold my 150-600 any more .... can't keep the hands still.)) and I know the lens has been upgraded since, but it was worth it back then because I was making better money.

Now I want (but won't get) the L-Series 24-70-2.8---truly amazing lens, easily on par with the 70-200. It might have been updated since I first priced in maybe eight years ago ... but that's not my point The point is ... good stuff is not cheap. if you want the Really good stuff, open your wallet wide. if you cannot afford it .... nobody's business but your own.

I went through some real career crap the year before the CCP virus hit---so I started trying some free-lance stuff, and as I started to get rolling the virus hit and killed everything I had built. But that's life. I know a guy who Caught the virus and he can't ride---for a few reasons---but he had long-lasting lung-capacity reduction. I just lost some income. I can get a night job at 7-11 ... he can't buy the use of his lungs.

But whatever .... I am moving into video now, using DSLRs, and for that job I don't need the 24-70 .... and the wages are so low I cannot afford it. For my freelance stuff it would be handy .... but not enough to justify the cost just yet. And with my wife and I around retirement age, pennies suddenly count. Oh, for the wild days of the 2000's ...... I bought bikes and cameras and lenses and gear like it didn't matter.

But yeah ... that 24-70 would be a joy to own (I borrowed a friend's .... I am not just dreaming) but it wouldn't pay for itself and I don't want to pay for it,. Not Canon's fault.
Okay. yeah. I was a Canon shooter when I got in to digital 10-12 years ago. Yes, the L-series zooms have increased in price significantly since then, but that was primarily a function of new, improved versions that could out-resolve the newer, higher megapixel sensors. There was a lot of kvetching on photography forums when the new models were announced, but it mostly changed to begrudging acceptance when people saw the differences in optical performance.
Old 12-15-20, 10:14 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Yes, most bikes are overpriced, but that's just how the market is, and so long as people are willing to buy them, the prices will continue to creep up. Personally, I don't think there's a bike out there worth more than $5k, and that bike had better have everything, electronic shifting, carbon wheels, etc. Past that and you're paying for a brand/status, and maybe very minor improvements (maybe a bit more aero, or lighter weight, etc., but nothing earth shattering). I'm amazed at people that will pay $6-8k, or even more, for a bike with mechanical shifting, but it's not my money.

I was spoiled with my first new bike purchase, a Fuji Transonic with Ultegra r8000 for $1400 brand new (should have kept that bike lol). Yes, it was on sale, but even at the time, there was no other brand/store that could come close to that value. Giant's value is good, probably the best going right now for a well known brand, which is probably why my last three bikes have been Giants (yes, I'm a bike ***** lol).
Old 12-15-20, 10:18 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
You are right, on an absolute/rational scale, considering a $3000 bike as being entry level is indeed absurd.
And yet, after years of careful conditioning, I have convinced my wife that a $3000 bike is, indeed, "entry level." So maybe perception is all that really matters, after all.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-15-20, 10:38 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Now I want (but won't get) the L-Series 24-70-2.8---truly amazing lens, easily on par with the 70-200. It might have been updated since I first priced in maybe eight years ago ... but that's not my point The point is ... good stuff is not cheap. if you want the Really good stuff, open your wallet wide. if you cannot afford it .... nobody's business but your own.
With camera gear, I seem to have settled into the rough logic of "buy the best lenses I can afford, and the cheapest body". Back in 2004, I got myself a 500/4 and a 1Dx Mk2 or whatever. The lens was a fantastic purchase and well worth it. The camera - I got a good amount of years of use out of it, but in hindsight, a less expensive body would have worked just as well. These days, I am off DSLRs except for wildlife (where the optical finder still reigns supreme), though. Have switched to Fuji for travel/street and Olympus M4/3 for underwater. I actually am happy to carry a Fuji around all day (unlike a DSLR), and the M4/3 is a joy for travelling with scuba gear.

Have been tempted by Leica but (a) the price (b) have reached a state of camera zen where i actually only buy gear which will help me take better shots and (c) price. The Fuji does everything I want from a camera.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 12-15-20, 10:44 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Okay. yeah. I was a Canon shooter when I got in to digital 10-12 years ago. Yes, the L-series zooms have increased in price significantly since then, but that was primarily a function of new, improved versions that could out-resolve the newer, higher megapixel sensors. There was a lot of kvetching on photography forums when the new models were announced, but it mostly changed to begrudging acceptance when people saw the differences in optical performance.
So here is my "Cranky Old Guy Yelling At The Clouds" belief about resolution/image quality - I have yet to see an aesthetically compelling image where I have gone "oh, the composition is great, the photographer nailed the exposure/focus/DoF but the image would have been better if only the lens had better resolution". IMO, given the current output formats available to us (print, online), the resolution of most competent lenses is more than sufficient for high quality photography. That was a VERY liberating feeling for me.

Now, when I buy any camera gear, I NEVER look at sharpness or contrast or whatever. With lenses, I look at size and speed of autofocus, and with bodies, how it fits in my hand and how easy it is to change the various shooting parameters I care about. It's very liberating!

(And to tie it back to perception - when it comes to zooms, I still prefer to own fixed aperture ones and am happy to pay a premium for them. No rational reason).
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 12-15-20, 10:48 AM
WhyFi

With camera gear, I seem to have settled into the rough logic of "buy the best lenses I can afford, and the cheapest body". Back in 2004, I got myself a 500/4 and a 1Dx Mk2 or whatever. The lens was a fantastic purchase and well worth it. The camera - I got a good amount of years of use out of it, but in hindsight, a less expensive body would have worked just as well. These days, I am off DSLRs except for wildlife (where the optical finder still reigns supreme), though. Have switched to Fuji for travel/street and Olympus M4/3 for underwater. I actually am happy to carry a Fuji around all day (unlike a DSLR), and the M4/3 is a joy for travelling with scuba gear.

Have been tempted by Leica but (a) the price (b) have reached a state of camera zen where i actually only buy gear which will help me take better shots and (c) price. The Fuji does everything I want from a camera.
I've recently gotten to the point where I'm willing to accept that I need to be somewhat practical. I have a Sony A7II, which is compact enough for a FF, but recently bought a Zeiss Loxia 35 f/2 to replace my beloved, but ******' porky, Zeiss Distagon 35 f/1.4. The damn Distagon weighs in at ~900g and, though I love what it can do, I've been routinely leaving it at home because it's beastly burden. The new Loxia, on the other hand, has similar character, but is about a third of the weight/bulk while sacrificing one stop. I'm happy with the decision.
Old 12-15-20, 10:49 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Yes, most bikes are overpriced, but that's just how the market is, and so long as people are willing to buy them...
So long as people are willing to buy them, they're not overpriced.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-15-20, 10:51 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
And yet, after years of careful conditioning, I have convinced my wife that a $3000 bike is, indeed, "entry level." So maybe perception is all that really matters, after all.
The luxury of first world problems. Once a hobby becomes an obsession, cost becomes an inconvenience.
Likes For mpath:
Old 12-15-20, 10:54 AM
Koyote

So here is my "Cranky Old Guy Yelling At The Clouds" belief about resolution/image quality - I have yet to see an aesthetically compelling image where I have gone "oh, the composition is great, the photographer nailed the exposure/focus/DoF but the image would have been better if only the lens had better resolution". IMO, given the current output formats available to us (print, online), the resolution of most competent lenses is more than sufficient for high quality photography. That was a VERY liberating feeling for me.

Now, when I buy any camera gear, I NEVER look at sharpness or contrast or whatever. With lenses, I look at size and speed of autofocus, and with bodies, how it fits in my hand and how easy it is to change the various shooting parameters I care about. It's very liberating!

(And to tie it back to perception - when it comes to zooms, I still prefer to own fixed aperture ones and am happy to pay a premium for them. No rational reason).
I used to shoot semi-professionally many years back, and favored 35mm lenses for the 35mm format - owned a bunch of 'em, including the famous 35mm Summicron for my Leica, which was rather expensive. But my fave was an early '70s Nikkor 35mm f2. Nothing to do with sharpness, and everything to do with smooth contrast, OoF areas, no visible aberrations, etc. I bought the lens second-hand for about $90, if I recall correctly. Second fave was the 35mm on my Hexar, which was noticeably soft anywhere near wide-open -- but publishable image quality, nonetheless.
Old 12-15-20, 11:10 AM
WhyFi

For the most part, I think that resolution is overrated and that not all megapixels are created equal; it's one of the big reasons that I stuck with my ol' Canon 5D for so long. Yeah, it was "only" 12mp, but they were big, fat lovely pixels and made for wonderful files that printed beautifully at any size that I would realistically consider.

When it comes to lenses, though, I am particular. There's a combination of sharpness, contrast and color that, to me, provides a certain depth. Zeiss lenses typically give me what I'm looking for, but others have certainly caught up in the sharpness and contrast department.
Old 12-15-20, 12:04 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

I used to shoot semi-professionally many years back, and favored 35mm lenses for the 35mm format - owned a bunch of 'em, including the famous 35mm Summicron for my Leica, which was rather expensive. But my fave was an early '70s Nikkor 35mm f2. Nothing to do with sharpness, and everything to do with smooth contrast, OoF areas, no visible aberrations, etc. I bought the lens second-hand for about $90, if I recall correctly. Second fave was the 35mm on my Hexar, which was noticeably soft anywhere near wide-open -- but publishable image quality, nonetheless.
Thumbs up for the 35! That and a 24 are my preferred focal lengths for street and travel. Weirdly, I cannot seem to take a photo worth a damn with a 50mm - I still go out with a 24, 35 and 50, but pretty much most of my keepers are with the first 2. I am not sure I am hardcore enough to get a different 35 - I have the Fuji 35/1.4, but the new f1.8 (or is it f2?) is so compact and appealing.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
When it comes to lenses, though, I am particular. There's a combination of sharpness, contrast and color that, to me, provides a certain depth. Zeiss lenses typically give me what I'm looking for, but others have certainly caught up in the sharpness and contrast department.
Interesting that both you guys mention lens contrast - the only camera where I have seen the image look distinctive/difference is on a friend's Leica. But this was on the LCD screen, and I dont know how much of that was the lens vs the RAW rendering of the file.
Old 12-15-20, 12:11 PM
Koyote

Thumbs up for the 35! That and a 24 are my preferred focal lengths for street and travel. Weirdly, I cannot seem to take a photo worth a damn with a 50mm - I still go out with a 24, 35 and 50, but pretty much most of my keepers are with the first 2. I am not sure I am hardcore enough to get a different 35 - I have the Fuji 35/1.4, but the new f1.8 (or is it f2?) is so compact and appealing.

Interesting that both you guys mention lens contrast - the only camera where I have seen the image look distinctive/difference is on a friend's Leica. But this was on the LCD screen, and I dont know how much of that was the lens vs the RAW rendering of the file.
I was shooting B&W, doing my own developing and printing. The Summicron made a mushy mess of contrast, particularly in OoF backgrounds - very distracting. The Nikkor, on the other hand, created these buttery smooth shades and tonalities.

I am not familiar enough with digital to know if this is true, but I suspect that one could (nowadays) manipulate the contrast more easily to get a desired effect. But thirty years ago, if it wasn't there when the film came out of the developer, you weren't going to get what you wanted.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-15-20, 12:24 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

I was shooting B&W, doing my own developing and printing. The Summicron made a mushy mess of contrast, particularly in OoF backgrounds - very distracting. The Nikkor, on the other hand, created these buttery smooth shades and tonalities.

I am not familiar enough with digital to know if this is true, but I suspect that one could (nowadays) manipulate the contrast more easily to get a desired effect. But thirty years ago, if it wasn't there when the film came out of the developer, you weren't going to get what you wanted.
Interesting. I got into photography towards the tail end of the film era, but mostly with slides (Velvia for the win!) - never did darkroom work (although I have devoured Adam's 3 books). I would never have guessed that the difference in contrast was that readily obvious. You are right that digital reduces the urgency of trying to nail those little details down - post-proc covers a lot of those weaknesses. I typically dont like to spend too much time faffing around in PS unless i rate the image as portfolio-grade, but basic contrast tweaking is pretty much par for the course now.
Old 12-15-20, 12:26 PM
WhyFi

I see it in print and on the screen. Early on, I was pretty skeptical of rendering differences but, as I flipped through photos online and then checked EXIF of those that piqued my interest (in terms of image quality, not composition, subject matter, etc), I saw a pretty clear pattern to my preferences with Zeiss, which holds a relatively small market share, accounting for the bulk of the images.

Related note, if you want to see online pissing matches that would make the 41 hang their collective heads in shame, do a search for "Zeiss 3D Pop" and buckle your belt.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-15-20, 12:30 PM
WhyFi

It really depends on what you're looking for - you can gussy up some aspects, but not others. It's no effort at all to manipulate global contrast, but the fine contrast transitions (that interest me in particular) are much, much more difficult to account for in post processing.
Old 12-15-20, 12:56 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Foveon for the win! Love the ability to use color filters on the DP2M when shooting B&W just like the old film days.

Last edited by Sy Reene; 12-15-20 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-15-20, 01:23 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
A quick parallel - in the 90s, a QB with a rating of 90 was elite. These days, 90 is barely average, IIRC (I am an Eagles fan for my sins, so I dont know much about good QB play in 2020).
The shift in passer rating over time has been heavily driven by changes in offensive schemes, and to some extent changes to rules and enforcement (like how much defensive backs are permitted to disrupt receiving routes). There are a lot of factors combining in all this, the largest perhaps having to do with how player specializations have developed.

A really extreme example of this is with the military academies in college football. They impose weight or BMI limits on their students, which makes it very difficult for them to recruit the sorts of big offensive linemen who excel in pass protection. So they often use very old-school offensive schemes which mostly involve run blocking and don't rely on those sorts of players existing, and often throwing the ball much less than other teams.

Basically, the situation is a lot more complex than "the top QBs have gotten better at playing football."
Old 12-15-20, 03:00 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Never did film .... the cost was prohibitive (well ... I did a tiny bit of film but never seriously.)

My new boss just leant me a Sony a-7 III to play with for a few weeks. Don't know a thing about it yet.

QB ratings are way too specific to play styles, as Guadzilla notes. I used to think Joe Montana, could with the team and offensive style at SF, was the pinnacle. Nowadays tight ends are almost as big as defensive ends and many QBs are the size of linebackers---and almost as willing to absorb contact. The old roles of QB no longer exist. No way to compare.
Old 12-15-20, 03:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
I feels sort of stupid, now .... I diverted what could have been a 20-page thread about bike value, perception, significant others .... and one that was about to maybe get good and spicy, reaching that coveted Three Mediator Warning status ....

Blame BF. I wrote a long post about actual "entry-level" bikes complete with multiple links and gallons of snark, and the site ate it. Instead I posted some bland, lame crap which got us all talking about cameras.

On another hand though .... wow I didn't know there were good mirrorless cameras. After a couple okay, mirrorless, this Sony is pretty alright, indeed.

You guys with your darkroom technique .... you call yourselves "artists," I call you dinosaurs (out of jealousy, but still .... )

So you think just because you can shoot better than me and ride better than me, you're all that?

Old 12-15-20, 03:24 PM
Koyote

I feels sort of stupid, now .... I diverted what could have been a 20-page thread about bike value, perception, significant others .... and one that was about to maybe get good and spicy, reaching that coveted Three Mediator Warning status ....

Blame BF. I wrote a long post about actual "entry-level" bikes complete with multiple links and gallons of snark, and the site ate it. Instead I posted some bland, lame crap which got us all talking about cameras.

On another hand though .... wow I didn't know there were good mirrorless cameras. After a couple okay, mirrorless, this Sony is pretty alright, indeed.

You guys with your darkroom technique .... you call yourselves "artists," I call you dinosaurs (out of jealousy, but still .... )

So you think just because you can shoot better than me and ride better than me, you're all that?

I sold off all the camera and darkroom gear in 2005, when it seemed inevitable that its value would crater due to digital's rapidly rising resolution. And I also figured that a person only needs one expensive and time-consuming hobby, and I was into cycling.
Old 12-15-20, 03:39 PM
WhyFi

I've been shooting primarily with adapted vintage lenses for the last 8 years or so, mostly C/Y mount Contax, and mirrorless was a godsend to me. Short flange so just about lens can be adapted, a viewfinder that stays bright when stopped down, the ability to zoom in to confirm focus, etc. I hear that the A7 III has a vastly improved AF system, but I don't even have an AF lens to use, so no desire to upgrade on account of that...
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-16-20, 03:41 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by HTupolev
The shift in passer rating over time has been heavily driven by changes in offensive schemes, and to some extent changes to rules and enforcement (like how much defensive backs are permitted to disrupt receiving routes). There are a lot of factors combining in all this, the largest perhaps having to do with how player specializations have developed.

Basically, the situation is a lot more complex than "the top QBs have gotten better at playing football."
Indeed, nor was I implying otherwise, if your point above is addressed to me.

It was an analogy to illustrate how the overall scale/curve can affect perception: Ultegra in 2010 occupies a different position than Ultegra in 2020 - just as a QB with a rating of 90 occupied a different position in the 1990s vs now.

The bit about good QB play was just a throwaway joke.
Old 12-16-20, 12:04 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Looking at the higher end, pro tour bikes run in the $10-14k range and are, for most of us imperceptibly different from
what are sold in the $5-7k range, maybe 500g lighter. Then compare what you get in a bicycle for what you get
here: https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/mo...t/r1250rs.html
Considering the amount of assembly/machining/foundry/finish work involved in the BMW compared to what is
involved in the higher end bicycles, which really differ very little from a manufacturing POV (not rider POV) from
the $2k or so bicycles it makes you wonder.
(FWIW my last motorcycle was a used CB175 45 yrs ago).
Old 12-16-20, 01:26 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
(...)

Here is a sound business proposition: "Charge what the market will bear."

That means, "Set the price as high as you can but just below where people won't buy stuff."

Actual value of the product has no importance. Perceived value is everything (you didn't think people spend billions on advertising for nothing, did you?)

How about the concept of "Supply and demand"? Market conditions make a difference---if an object is scarce, or is perceived to be scarce, people who can, will pay more money.

How about this: bikes are a luxury item. The people in America for whom bikes are Not a luxury item, buy those bikes at Walmart. The rest of us are buying toys, or exercise equipment, or both .... stuff we Choose to buy. Such people typically pay more for what they think will give them the lifestyle they desire.

As for prices being "justified"? You know what "justifies" prices?

Sales.

If you think the bike costs too much, don't buy it. But so long as enough people Are buying it, to the seller, the price is "justified." It is fair, it is correct.

Check out that whole "Invisible hand of the market" idea: The market self-regulates because supply and demand and available income and discretionary income, production and transport and sales cost, all balance out----charge too much, and people don't pay it, and you have to lower prices. Charge too little and you cannot cover cost of operations and go out of business. (...)
I once wrote here on BF very similar comment as to how market economy operates, what determines the selling price of anything and all that. But you said it even better, more cogently, if I recall my post from memory. What I also try to argue in such cases is to try and 'think oneself into the other side shoes'. Typically consumers tend to eye themselves as playthings or even hostages to producers but the same view of oneself can be taken by producers as well.

Only I wouldn't be so harsh on OP, like to make out of his post that he is or may be new to America and capitalism, when Americans themselves, except for very rare minority, don't know what capitalism is (and for that mater, the rest of the Western world with them). Else why would the West be in the hole it is in and why it would be sliding into that hole for the last century, give or take some decades.
Likes For vane171:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.