Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Even though you are 50+, Bicycling and Fit, are you still Snow Shovelling?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Even though you are 50+, Bicycling and Fit, are you still Snow Shovelling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-21, 11:51 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
You must be coastal sea-level PNW.
Some of the rest of us moved here to enjoy winter skiing.
Mt. Baker = 600-800+" of snow is typical. Snowfall Statistics :: Mt. Baker Ski Area
So long as it's the light stuff and not "Cascade Concrete" or "Sierra Cement" falls, it can be stellar. Hate the heavy stuff, myself. Skied for years.

For years, I thought that spots like Steamboat Springs (CO) or Alta/Snowbird (UT) were tops. And for lighter powder, they probably still are. But it's hard to beat how much snow can fall out West at some of the higher peaks and passes.

Once was on a ski trip in the Sierras where more than a dozen feet of ultra-light powder fell. Snowed us all in. Better still, it kept absolutely everybody else away, such that once they plowed the couple of main roads and got the lifts going again, it was absolutely, unspeakably beautiful skiing. Took a couple of days for them to dynamite the heavier stuff off the steep upper slopes, but once they did it was amazing.

Got to love great skiing. Nothing quite like it. Though, I'm glad they have those monster-sized snow clearing vehicles to do all the heavy lifting. Can't imagine hiking along in a DIY week of skiing in such conditions, minus the lifts and equipment.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 01-17-21 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-17-21, 04:23 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
BTW, the neighbor took this pic of me clearing their driveway on 12/1/2020... 9-10" of wet heavy *****

Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 01-17-21, 06:47 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I haven't shoveled much snow since I turned 55 and our doctor e-mailed my wife to say I should not shovel snow anymore. I do still shovel snow a bit, because for a 2-4" snow, it more strenuous starting the snow blower than just going and shoveling what is there.
Old 01-18-21, 09:00 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
I haven't shoveled much snow since I turned 55 and our doctor e-mailed my wife to say I should not shovel snow anymore. I do still shovel snow a bit, because for a 2-4" snow, it more strenuous starting the snow blower than just going and shoveling what is there.
Electric start on a snow blower is a really good thing ... overdoing muscles and getting into your higher heart rates are not so much.
Old 01-19-21, 12:19 PM
Sertsa

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
I live in the center of the Northeast Ohio snow belt and shovel quite a bit. We have a tractor with a plow for the very long driveway, but I shovel the walkways and a path for gas and oil deliveries. Since getting an Apple Watch, I select that I'm doing a mixed cardio workout so I can watch my heartrate.
Old 01-19-21, 09:23 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Hmmm------------I am 82 and still shovel snow, and get on the roof to clean out the dryer vent. I also still change my own oil in the car. In fact I still pretty much do anything I always have done. And yes I am well blessed for my age, and as I have posted else where I contribute my good health to my continuing to ride.
Yes you are blessed. I can tell you have a young mind from reading your posts. I always like to seek younger men like you out and talk to them for inspiration in life
Old 01-20-21, 01:11 PM
IdahoSpud
Still Wheelies Motorcycle

Bikes: Masi, Novara, Specialized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
If the snow is heavy, just wrangling a self-propelled snowblower is a workout. It never wants to go where you need it to anyway. If it's light, no big deal, I shovel away. I have a long dirt driveway though, so we had to get a snow plow for the truck. I spent way too many long cold dark nights on the tractor in the driving snow. Now I can listen to music with warm air blowing on me as I quickly clear the driveway. Worlds of difference!
Old 01-20-21, 06:01 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
I'm approaching 47 years of age and even though I own a John Deere lawn mower with a 48" snow thrower attachment, I default to manually shoveling my driveway when it's sane to do so. "Sane" meaning 3" or less of snow and I'm not in a hurry to get out of the driveway. With the snow blower it takes less than an hour to clear the driveway. With a shovel, it can take from 1 hour to 3 hours depending on how much snow

OP, you're right in that snow shoveling is radically different than cycling in terms of the physical demands on your body, which is one reason I do it. I look at shoveling as a good way to get outdoors in the fresh air and get some upper-body exercise. The hard part for me is typically my lower back... it's so easy to forget to bend at the knees instead of the back.

To me, snow shoveling is one of those things more people should be doing instead of relying on technology to do everything. Yes, it's super easy to pull out the snow thrower and get the driveway cleared in minutes, but in doing so, that's one more reason you're not using your body and eventually that lack of use will be detrimental.
Old 01-20-21, 06:31 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I used the electric leaf blower on 2 inches of very cold powder today. That was quick.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-20-21 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-21-21, 09:56 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Living in northern lower Michigan, the buckle of the snowbelt, we can get 10-15ft of snow in a season. Shovel? Nah. Zero impact and especially when I ride in it 3 times a week.

Here is my shovel (when snow is 2-3’ deep with drifts I attach the blower)

I don't shovel anymore. Not more than my steps out front or back. I too use a riding mower mounted blade. It's certainly more fun than shoveling. But on heavy snow years, it's hard to find new places to push the snow into. This has been a VERY light snow year here in Utah. I've only run the plow ONCE... I've started the mower to keep the battery charged more than I've used it to plow... I do keep my eye out for the cheap deals on snowblower attachments though.
Likes For zjrog:
Old 01-21-21, 07:21 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Never thought of it that way. You have to do what you have to do. When I was 14, I read Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. The line that captured me was, "Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once." I've been a Shakespeare fan for the past 60 years.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 01-22-21, 09:14 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Always looking for the easy, comfortable, more "fun" way out contributed to the terrible physical shape many in our society are in. No thanks, I'll continue to shovel.

Of course it is certainly possible to maintain fitness and avoid shoveling snow...

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 01-23-21 at 07:55 AM.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 01-23-21, 08:26 AM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
Not afraid to shovel, been doing it all my life. Still do steps and around doors, but too much driveway to shovel.
Old 01-23-21, 09:37 AM
IdahoSpud
Still Wheelies Motorcycle

Bikes: Masi, Novara, Specialized

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
A little bit of shoveling, I don't mind...

But this is just the part that goes across the front of the house, not the section leading out to the road. By the time I finished shoveling this, the other end would be covered again. At some point you have to face the fact that one guy with a shovel can't get it done before he has to get to work.
Old 01-23-21, 01:16 PM
iowa mark

Bikes: GT,Trek,Fuji,and a couple of Schwinns

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
35 years living in rural northwest Iowa where the snow comes at you sideways and 6 inches will pile to 6 feet in all the wrong places. There is always a shovel by the back door to use to break a trail to the shed where the 400 Farmall gets plugged in. We will wear out a number 14 aluminum scoop shovel about every 3 years. I'm 68 and don't see any end in sight for this seasonal experience.
Old 01-24-21, 07:44 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I’m 68+ and live in West Central Wisconsin. Snow during the Winter months is a given but some years we get a lot others, not so much. So far this year, the snow fall has been pretty light and, in general, I’m fine with that. I do however get a certain sense of enjoyment shoveling the snow. Our driveway is about 75’ long and just under 20’ wide. There’s a small bit of concrete pad near the front door. I do have a 24” two-stage snow thrower with a 5 HP motor but have found it’s usually more trouble than it’s worth if the snow is less than 12” deep. So, most of the time I shovel. I’ve found that lighter weight shovels (aluminum or plastic) are easier to use. Also, spraying silicone on the shovel’s surface helps quite a bit. I use the pusher-type (curved scoop) for snow up to about 4” and a flat scooped one for deeper snow.
I do think that shoveling is good exercise but doesn’t do much to improve my condition (leg muscle-wise) for the Spring start of the biking season. It’s something that has to be done though so, I make the most of it.
I too, am none too happy when the city plow comes by and adds a thick, heavy load of salty, sandy slush to the snow already present at the end of my driveway.
I’ve frequently thought about moving somewhere that received less snow but decided that the torrential rain and tornadoes or hurricanes are bigger problems .
Old 01-25-21, 03:59 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I'm 55 and stopped shoveling snow at 28...
when I moved to SE Florida. But at least you get to enjoy the summer where it's not completely brutal.
Watched NJ disappear in the rear view mirrors on 7/26/1986 at 26. SW FL has been home ever since and NJ is simply BACK NORTH. Been back 2 times, 1st for MIL's funeral and there was snow but no shoveling and again for FIL's funeral but no snow then.

For all you who spend some time to reposition the fallen snow from the sky --- I bicycled 117 miles last Friday night to Saturday morning.
Old 01-25-21, 07:41 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Of course, a good thing about cycling is that snow shoveling is optional. Just carry the bike to the street and ride to work. Often, it all melts by the weekend and you don't need to shovel at all. Bicycles are a godsend to lazy people.
Old 01-26-21, 04:43 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I just thought of something. What if you attach a snow plow shovel to the front of your bike?
Old 01-30-21, 11:52 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
Shoveling is the devil. Snow isn't a big deal for me, but having to shovel grain can take a toll. I had an "expert" once tell me that shoveling is an unnatural activity and for back reasons, we should never do it. Easier said than done on the farm. But good advice to avoid volumes of it when mechanical means are possible.
I grew up on a farm in Aurora Ne. On a farm you shovel a little bit of everything. We ditch irrigated, and I must have moved half of the dirt in Hamilton Co.

Then too around the dairy barn, chicken house, and hog barn, I shoveled tons of what politicians in Washington are full of.

Oh and tons of snow. I am old enough to have shoveled snow after the blizzard of 49.
Old 01-30-21, 12:13 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I grew up on a farm in Aurora Ne. On a farm you shovel a little bit of everything. We ditch irrigated, and I must have moved half of the dirt in Hamilton Co.

Then too around the dairy barn, chicken house, and hog barn, I shoveled tons of what politicians in Washington are full of.

Oh and tons of snow. I am old enough to have shoveled snow after the blizzard of 49.
Just a stones throw or so from Kearney. I farm north of there. Used to raise hogs. The hard way, so shoveling, scooping and scraping was a daily deal. I used to irrigate the hard way. Pivots have replaced everything except for a few acres of gravity irrigation. No wonder the body is breaking down now. Have I seen you on BRAN or NUMB possibly?
Old 01-31-21, 03:28 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,228 Posts
Truth be told
I willingly signed up every Winter
for many consecutive 50+ years,
even paid for the privilege
of having a no-wage job
that included lots of snow shoveling at times.
The 2nd floor ski patrol deck got heavy wet regularly,
even sometimes spectacularly.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-05-21 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-31-21, 12:18 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Snow is why I own a Kubota 4x4 tractor with a heated cab. My driveway is 300 yards long.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 02-01-21, 06:19 PM
90ragtop

Bikes: Trek 7100; Schwinn Pathway

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No way. I spent my career years just a bit south of Cleveland OH in the snow belt. Even when I was young, when you are clearing a foot or more of snow from a long driveway, and sidewalk to the front door, and sidewalks along the street, you are out of your mind if you shovel.

I always used a snow blower for most of those years. But now I use the smart man's method: I go to for Florida from January through March.
Old 02-01-21, 09:01 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
If you are in the NE region right now, it looks like you folks will be doing some clearing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.