Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Michelin Carbon

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Michelin Carbon

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 09:25 AM
Univega

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Michelin Carbon

It came time to replace the rear tire on my Univega. I did a little research and went with the Michelin Carbon. Seemed to be just what I was looking for. Fair weight, good rolling resistance, excellent puncture resistance and long wear.

I had the tire for less than one month. Yesterday the weather was so nice we decided to do a Metric Century. The tire had other ideas. At mile 52, the tire blew out. I never had that happen before. Before you guys ask, the pressure was 115. I check my tires before every ride.

The LBS recommended I switch to Conti Gatorbacks.

Opinions?
Old 09-26-05, 09:32 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using heavier, more puncture resistant tires, is a way of reducing the number of flats you encounter but it isn't a way to react to a single flat. Flats happen and they happen more to people who ride on roads with debris that causes punctures. I never get flats but I ride on country roads that have nothing on them but pavement.
Old 09-26-05, 09:40 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I had a tire blow off the rim after hitting a huge chunk of asphalt. The tire seemed okay but on a later ride it would not stay on the rim so I replaced it with a Michelin Carbon.

200 miles later I've had no problems. 120 psi everyday.

Earlier I had problems with my wheels; pinch flats, blown tubes. Turned out to be the crappy rim tape installed at the factory.

You didn't say so I've gotta ask; did you hit anything to make it blow? How old was the tube? It blew off the rim, blew out a sidewall, etc?
Old 09-26-05, 10:14 AM
Univega

Originally Posted by bbattle
You didn't say so I've gotta ask; did you hit anything to make it blow? How old was the tube? It blew off the rim, blew out a sidewall, etc?
I didn't hit anything when the tire blew. Just pedaling down the road.
I installed a new tube with the tire. I blew out a sidewall.

The LBS said if I installed the tube wrong and that was the cause. He said if was crimped,
that would blow out the sidewall. With all the good things I hear about the tire I was surprised. I just have never had that happen before. I guess it could have been me.
Old 09-26-05, 10:23 AM
lrzipris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding a Michelin Carbon on my rear rim for 1-1.5K now, with no problems. I don't like it particularly, however. I know this is anecdotal and not scientific, but: I initially had it on my front rim but felt that it seemed to make the steering heavy and clunky. I put an Avocet back on the front and the Mich in the rear, where I don't especially notice its apparent characteristics.
Old 09-26-05, 01:53 PM
nnewton123

Bikes: '04 Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode them for about 1200 miles. My friend has put an additional 1200 miles on the same tires. They are still in great condition and have had 0 flats to date. I would definitely buy them again as a training tire.
Old 09-26-05, 02:33 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have Michelan Pro race tire on my racing bike, I have only had one flat due to a very large sharp object which sliced the tire wide open requiring replacement.

I also put Conti Gator Skins on my commuter. In the last 3 months, I have had three flats on my commute. The tires are tougher, but it all has to do with the roads I ride and the debris I encounter.
Gator skins are great if your know the route you ride is not very well maintained.

Considsering the amount of glass and sharp metal on my commute, I'll stick with the gatorskins. I rode my commute a few times with a set of Vittorias, and it was disasterous.
Old 09-26-05, 03:53 PM
samp02

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the hell out of a pair of carbons. No problems here...
Old 09-26-05, 04:00 PM
DeanC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by samp02
I ride the hell out of a pair of carbons. No problems here...
Same here, love my carbons. 700x25s btw, but I'm 240lbs so the x23s seem to be asking for trouble...
Old 09-26-05, 04:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've had very good luck with the Carbons. They're a bit heavier and stiffer than the Pro Races but much, much tougher. Bomb-proof if you add liners.
Old 09-26-05, 05:50 PM
timwat

Bikes: Giant TCR CF, Raleigh Fixie, Bridgestone Radac, Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another happy Carbon user here.

Hey, FWIW I was getting more than my fair share of flats early in the season, and after a few posters here boasted that they never get flats, I have tried to be a little more careful, watching for debris and such.

Haven't had a flat since - obviously, no guarantee, but one flat doesn't mean the tires are bad and you should look for another brand.
Old 09-26-05, 10:20 PM
7rider

Bikes: 1999 Seven Sola, 2004 Bianchi Axis, 2005 Trek Madone 5.2 SL, 2006 Merlin Works CR 3/2.5, 2009 Kona Ute, Spot Acme, 2017 Raleigh Roker Comp, 2016 Specialized Camber Expert 29

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same here, love my carbons. 700x25s btw, but I'm 240lbs so the x23s seem to be asking for trouble...
This is interesting. On my old bike, I opted for the 700x25 Carbons to give me more cushion than the 23s. The difference is that I weight 135 pounds. The Bontrager Race X Lite 700x23 tires on my new bike don't feel bad, and either did the 700x25 Michelin Carbons.
Old 09-26-05, 10:43 PM
condor63

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
My Michelin carbon rear tire got a heat bubble after just 50+ miles, never again, now on the other hand there windshield wipers ain't bad.

Old 09-27-05, 12:44 AM
adamfresno
YATTA!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2000+ miles @ 120 PSI and no flats and I ride over crappy Pave like road and small rocks etc.
Old 09-27-05, 02:31 AM
Univega

OK, I get it. What you guys are telling me is it was me. I am 51. Guess how many tubes I have installed? Guess I blew this one! (literally)

Last edited by Univega; 09-27-05 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-27-05, 02:52 AM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Univega
...Guess how many tubes I have installed?...
Ooh! ooh! I'll play.

What do I win?
Old 10-01-05, 06:45 AM
Univega

Sorry Camel, even I don't know.

I just wanted to follow up on this. I had to buy another tire. I stuck with the Michelin Carbons. I could not find anyone who would say a bad thing about them.
Plus when I wrote Michelin to let them know I was unhappy that a tire blew after only a few weeks of riding. They said to return the tire and "We will replace the tire if it exhibits a workmanship or material problem or as a courtesy if inspection confirms low usage.". I returned it today.

You have to admire and support a company that stands behind its product.

Thanks to all who replied