Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying new wheels? Hand-made or Factory? Need advice!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 05:26 PM
shawneebiker

Bikes: Whatever I want

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking at upgrading my existing wheels.

My LBS mechanic recommends DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims with 240S road hubs.

I've talked to several other people and they say that Ksyrium ES, Campy Eurus, or Fulcrum R1 would be much better way to go. They think my mechanic is nuts.

I can have the hand-made wheels done for a few hundred less. I don't mind spending the extra $$$ if the other wheels are better.

I weight 220lbs@6'2". I don't plan on racing, I just enjoy owning good quality things. I have upgraded to Chorus/Record on my Lemond Sarthe and would like advice for new wheels.

Please help. I've been given advice all over the spectrum and would like help making this decision.

Thanks.
Old 12-16-05, 06:20 PM
timwat

Bikes: Giant TCR CF, Raleigh Fixie, Bridgestone Radac, Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, you'll probably get more advice all over the spectrum here too. Obviously, folks who have a good experience with their wheelset purchase are going to weigh in that that is the only way to go.

FWIW, I was having a dicey experience with the stock Xero wheels that came on my Giant. I purchased hand-builts from Mike Garcia at www.oddsandendos.com (he gets a lot of endorsements from satisfied customers here on bikeforums.net) and couldn't be more pleased with them. For the price I paid, the quality I believe I received in return, I would't consider purchasing factory - not because I don't think Mavic doesn't make a good wheel, simply because of the price delta.

That said, my buddy rides Ksyriums (the high end ones...I dont know if he got a discount through his team) and is very happy with them.

I realize this may not help you at all, but at least one opinion for you.
Old 12-16-05, 07:28 PM
56/12 and 22/28
Stop it.

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Hardrock Pro w/ slicks, flipped stem and HB, 2003 Colnago Dream with full Dura-Ace 7700 double, 2001 Bianchi XL Boron/Daytona, Mavic Open Pro/Campy Centaur/DT Champion built wheels.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shawneebiker

I've talked to several other people and they say that Ksyrium ES, Campy Eurus, or Fulcrum R1 would be much better way to go. They think my mechanic is nuts.

I can have the hand-made wheels done for a few hundred less. I don't mind spending the extra $$$ if the other wheels are better.

I weight 220lbs@6'2". I don't plan on racing, I just enjoy owning good quality things. I have upgraded to Chorus/Record on my Lemond Sarthe and would like advice for new wheels.

Please help. I've been given advice all over the spectrum and would like help making this decision.

Thanks.
A pair of Mavic Ksyrium SL's can handle just about anything.

You can buy them new at ColoradoCyclist.com for about $700 plus shipping.

Or you can go the old reliable route. Get some Mavic Open Pro's, or DT R1.1's laced 2x to some 32 hole Campy Record hubs.

Either way you choose to go, you're going to get a very light, stiff, and strong wheelset.
Old 12-16-05, 07:38 PM
mingsta
All the gear and no idea.

Bikes: 03 Klein Attitude Comp, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Condor Pista Track, Seven Alaris SG = perfection, all the bike I will ever need

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't really go wrong with either to be honest.

I went for handbuilts because even a quality handbuilt (White LTA and Velocity Aeroheads, in my case) is cheaper than Ksyrium SLs/Fulcrum R3 etc, easier to fix and I'm not good enough a cyclist to notice the difference.
Old 12-16-05, 07:45 PM
Olebiker
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 56/12 and 22/28
Or you can go the old reliable route. Get some Mavic Open Pro's, or DT R1.1's laced 2x to some 32 hole Campy Record hubs.
Gitcha some Record hubs and Open Pro rims but make them 3X. You can get them from Performance for about $300. They will last you for years.
Old 12-16-05, 07:47 PM
TCR
Riding Heavens Highway

Bikes: '04 Giant TCR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me thinks Mike Garcia secretly runs this forum.
Old 12-16-05, 07:48 PM
BigFloppyLlama

Bikes: Trek 1000, Giant TCR Composite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mingsta
You can't really go wrong with either to be honest.

I went for handbuilts because even a quality handbuilt (White LTA and Velocity Aeroheads, in my case) is cheaper than Ksyrium SLs/Fulcrum R3 etc, easier to fix and I'm not good enough a cyclist to notice the difference.
I've got the same setup as you and am quite happy with them very much because of the reasons you posted.
Old 12-16-05, 11:55 PM
btmail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TCR
Me thinks Mike Garcia secretly runs this forum.
yes very funny!!!!
Old 12-17-05, 12:36 AM
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Bikes: see sig, and others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Olebiker
Gitcha some Record hubs and Open Pro rims but make them 3X. You can get them from Performance for about $300. They will last you for years.
You hit the nail right on the head

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...OKEN=66705311#
Old 12-17-05, 01:24 AM
caotropheus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dekalbSTEEL
No dought

I have the same rims on Pélissier hubs and the bicycle rides as smooth as the wind ! I guess the Record Hubs will do the same job.
Old 12-17-05, 02:28 AM
RossB

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
RR1.1 rims with 240s hubs and DT spokes are basically identical to the DT Swiss 1450 wheels, which are one of the absolute best wheelsets available in that class, which includes the Ksyriums, Eurus, Fulcrum, Ascent/Orion and a few others. All are excellent wheels and it really comes down to taste.

FWIW, when it became clear that the 2006 Eurus that I had on order for my new Look 585 (review to follow soon) would be too slow to arrive, I had no difficulty switching my order to some DT Swiss 1450s. Very stiff, very light, with some of the best rims and hubs in the business. The only hesitation is that at 220lb, Ksyriums or Eurus might hold up better, but custom DT Swiss wheels with 32 spokes instead of 28 should be just as strong and still lighter than the Ksyriums.

Old 12-17-05, 03:44 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts

Thanks.
I have 2 sets of Chorus/Open Pros. They are both 8 speed that were upgraded with a 9/10 speed cassette hub body. They date to 1995 and have literally tens of thousands of miles on them. They work perfect. You can't go wrong with Campy hubs laced to Mavic rims. Good luck.

Tim
Old 12-17-05, 08:39 PM
shawneebiker

Bikes: Whatever I want

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for everyone's response!

I decided to go with the Campy Eurus. I found the 06 online at cbike.com for $799.00.

I figured you can't go wrong with these especially at that price...

My LBS wanted to charge me $770.00 for the RR 1.1, 240S hubs, 28 spokes. FWIW.....

Last edited by shawneebiker; 12-18-05 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-17-05, 08:56 PM
alraicercsu

Bikes: Litespeed Hyperion, 06 cervelo soloist team, 69 motobecan grand touring, 72 motobeacn grand touring, 2004 giant OCR3 converted into a TT bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go hand built, they are very strong, require very little mantence, easier to get parts for since they use common spokes, etc.
Old 12-18-05, 05:38 AM
14max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks.
I just ran through custom wheelbuilding on the Excel website. Here's what I came up with:

Front/Rear hubs - DT Hub 240S, 32 Hole, 344g (total weight) = $350.92 (after discount)
Front/Rear rims - DT Rim RR 11 Road Black, 32 Hole, 836g (total weight) = $125.92 (after discount)
Spokes - DT Revolution spokes, 3 cross lacing, 320g (total weight) = $57.02 (after discount)
Labor - $36.00 (after discount)
Total - 1,500g, $569.84 (after discount)

If you went with 28h you'd lighten up to 1454g and the total cost would be $562.72
Old 12-18-05, 06:24 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The handmade wheels (with more spokes) will be a more comfortable ride than the reduced spoke count wheels. No question about that.
Old 12-18-05, 04:23 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased some custom built wheels from Mike Garcia and couldn't be happier with them. They are lighter, stiffer and stronger than the crappy stock wheels that my bike came with. And they only cost $330.

One thing I'll say about Mike is he knows wheels and he loves to talk about them. He will take the time to ask you about where you ride, how far you ride, how often you ride, how fast you ride, how much you weigh, the condition of the roads you ride on, etc etc etc. He will then make some recommendations based on that. The guy is honest and will not try to sell you a more expensive wheel that won't be the best fit for your riding style. His selection is fairly limited but the quality of the wheels are excellent.

Unless you spend twice what a set of Mike Garcia wheels cost you won't get a better set of wheels anywhere.

BTW-I found out about Mike Garcia through this website. Thanks guys!
Old 12-18-05, 04:32 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
If you do go factory-built then make sure you get them checked out by a local mechanic for proper tensioning and stress relief. I have Ksyriums (original SSCs) that have been pretty much bombproof but they were checked and prepped by my mechanic prior to installation.
Old 05-20-12, 11:31 AM
kc0yef 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Hand built only by a good wheel builder at your weight. I am 245 I would not dream of a mechanical robot building my wheel...
Old 05-20-12, 11:43 AM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Um, he's probably already bought some wheels by now. Don't ya think?
Old 05-20-12, 11:49 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Zombies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-12, 12:12 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
They're unlikely to be noticably better (especially if you use a deeper more aerodynamic rim - people like the HED C2 and Velocity Fusion/Deep V) and can cost a lot more in the long run.

I've been riding the same set of Campagnolo Chorus hubs, spokes (DT 2.0/1.5 Revolution except 2.0/1.8 Competition drive side), and most of a nipple set since 1996 which I originally built with Mavic Reflex clinchers and have since been using Open Pros.

When I crash and bend a rim or wear out a brake track it's about $70 including shipping to get a new rim. I detension, lubricate the sockets with anti-seize, tape the new rim to the existing rim, and move spokes over one at a time taking the opportunity to re-lubricate the threads and replace any nipples that are damaged. It takes 2-3 beers to produce a wheel that's as good as new.

With boutique wheels replacement component availability is a lot spottier and buying a new one is likely (try to find a Campagnolo Shamal rim for the 1996 model year).

This ignores the lower spoke count which goes with popular wheels that makes being able to get a damaged wheel ridable less likely.
Old 05-21-12, 08:12 AM
kc0yef 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pendergast
Um, he's probably already bought some wheels by now. Don't ya think?
Yes I do and the information is still relevant because people actually use the search function
Old 05-21-12, 08:53 AM
M_Wales
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Bikes: Shopping

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm your size and went with a higher spoke count wheel (28f/32r) that Psimet recommended and they are a great riding wheel.

Contact Paimet and see what he can build you.
Boyd 24f/28r wheels
Williams 30x