Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ice Storm in Northwest Tennessee

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-29-09, 09:57 AM
Bob Nichols

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I posted this past Friday how nice the weather was here, but I spoke too soon. We had an ice storm Tuesday and there are about 18,000 homes in NW Tennessee that are without electricity, including my office. I do have a generator that I am running on now. Paducah, KY, about 60 miles to the north has been declared a disaster area. I think FEMA is going to come to save everybody. Ha! Not too good of weather for biking. Below is a picture I took from the back door of my office yesterday afternoon.

Old 01-29-09, 10:00 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thank goodness you've got a generator!
Old 01-29-09, 11:22 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Stop Global Warming!

Kentucky got hit by the same storm. My house looks like yours: trees down everywhere, etc. They are predicting it may be a week or more before the power is restored.

I openned up the paper and saw a picture of Al Gore pedaliing his wares before the Congress, hoping to get a generous cut of the massive pork barrel bill oops I mean financial stimulus bill being debated.

It's tempting to track him down, emasculate him, and mount his gonads on my ManBearPig poster.
Old 01-29-09, 11:27 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
But everyone knows that "Global Warming" will result in some places getting colder!
Old 01-29-09, 11:53 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
But everyone knows that "Global Warming" will result in some places getting colder!
Do you really not under how climate operates, or am I missing something in your post?
Old 01-29-09, 12:03 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Do you really not under how climate operates, or am I missing something in your post?
This is one of the standard answers when the global warming community is faced with colder complaints...........................

Nobody really understands how the climate operates.
Old 01-30-09, 10:30 AM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Northwest Arkansas got hammered as well. I was without power from Tuesday through Thursday (when I left). I'm in Louisiana now. I'm not sure if we got power back on Thursday or not. I'll see if I can post some pics.

I was discussing the situation with my son, who lives down here in LA. It's about the same situation that one encounters in the aftermath of a hurricane except that it's C-O-L-D and one could actually die from exposure. The stores sell out of food and supplies very quickly. Fuel for about anything you want to name is not available.

I filled the tank on the Toyota 4WD the day before the storm hit and grabbed a few things at the grocery store, so I managed. All-electric ain't all it's cracked up to be!

As an aside, the situation with retail stores is interesting. The whole operation runs off one or more computers. I did need some cigarette lighter fluid for a little hand warmer. I walked into a chain retail store and asked if they had cigarette lighter fluid. The cashier at this store looked at me and said in broken hispanic English, "we're out of power." I wanted to remind her that I was not daft, that it was immediately obvious even to the most casual observer that there was no electrical power, and that I did not ask about the status of electrical power. I held my tongue and left. The interesting part is that these people could be doing business, but the store managers and cashiers probably lack the cerebral capacity to total the cost of items, compute sales tax, and actually make change. I suspect they lack the initiative to do so as well.

I was in a locally-owned store a while later, and this store was doing business without the benefit of electric power. What a concept!
Old 01-30-09, 11:41 AM
sal

Bikes: Cannondale Sport Road 500, Motobecane Boris X5 fatbike Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3, Cannondale Topstone

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Nobody really understands how the climate operates

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
This is one of the standard answers when the global warming community is faced with colder complaints...........................

Nobody really understands how the climate operates.
That is exactly my point. As Maddmax says "Nobody really understands how the climate operates". Since no one does understand, then how am I to believe that somehow Al Gore does understand how the climate operates?

Oh and by the way here in west Michigan I've been shovelling and snow blowing the cure for global warming since early December. We are up to 95 inches or so of global warming cure. I am selling bags of global warming cure along with official carbon credit certificates. Just send you're orders with payment to me.
Old 01-30-09, 12:52 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Three days without power and there are icecycles hanging from our lights.

If global warming is man-made, I think we should do everything in our power to accelerate the process.

However, I think it's BS.
Old 01-30-09, 01:38 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Sorry to hear about all those affected by outages-normally those events hit the area we live in and we're so, so glad they missed us this time. I do know that assistance is on the way from crews that can restore power and deal with the trees. With extensive damage like this it just takes a while. My guess is some folks could be out for 5-7 days. There are usually a lot more broken poles and trees to deal with that prolong the restoration process. The closer you live to a substation the better off you'll be!!

Safety rule #1-stay far away from any downed lines.
Safery rule #2-same as #1.

The lines can "dance" around if they are inadvertendly energized.....
Old 01-30-09, 02:27 PM
Cone Wrench

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Firstly, everyone should learn the difference between weather and climate.
Secondly, global warming is a misnomer. Scientists refer to it as climate change.

Glancing out the window at the weather will tell you nothing about climate change. A long term study of world wide climate conditions combined with studies of ocean temperatures and currents will reveal much.
Old 01-30-09, 02:34 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,461 Posts
Originally Posted by Cone Wrench
Secondly, global warming is a misnomer. Scientists refer to it as climate change.

Glancing out the window at the weather will tell you nothing about climate change. A long term study of world wide climate conditions combined with studies of ocean temperatures and currents will reveal much.
Long term studies show current conditions are still "average"
Old 01-30-09, 04:25 PM
sal

Bikes: Cannondale Sport Road 500, Motobecane Boris X5 fatbike Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3, Cannondale Topstone

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cone Wrench

Let's all read together now:

"The total amount of cooling ranges from 0.65C up to 0.75C -- a value large enough to wipe out most of the warming recorded over the past 100 years. All in one year's time. For all four sources, it's the single fastest temperature change ever recorded, either up or down. "

and this:

"Scientists quoted in a past DailyTech article link the cooling to reduced solar activity which they claim is a much larger driver of climate change than man-made greenhouse gases. The dramatic cooling seen in just 12 months time seems to bear that out. While the data doesn't itself disprove that carbon dioxide is acting to warm the planet, it does demonstrate clearly that more powerful factors are now cooling it."

Read the entire article here unless of course you're worried it may contradict what you have been lead to believe:

https://www.dailytech.com/Temperature...ticle10866.htm
Old 01-30-09, 07:48 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
Northwest Arkansas got hammered as well. I was without power from Tuesday through Thursday (when I left).
I felt blessed to live in Little Rock. We got a bit of freezing rain and that was all.

Originally Posted by doctor j
The interesting part is that these people could be doing business, but the store managers and cashiers probably lack the cerebral capacity to total the cost of items, compute sales tax, and actually make change. I suspect they lack the initiative to do so as well.
More likely it is because they scan bar-codes at the cash register. The prices may not even be on the objects so adding up the items could be very difficult as the cashier would have to wander around the store confirming each price. Wouldn't that be chaos.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-30-09, 10:02 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Great! So we can just burn whatever we want without any concern that we are $%(##!*@ in our own back yard. Whatever is easy and makes us feel good and above all else, whatever makes easy money for the big boys. No need to worry at all. We have no responsibility at all. Wheee!
Old 01-30-09, 10:15 PM
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
It's tempting to track him down, emasculate him, and mount his gonads on my ManBearPig poster.
You may be right, but it doesn't entitle you to be a rude and obnoxious boor, which is something you do about once a month. According to what I know of netiquette, the caps lock key is for shouting. All caps in bold is shouting out loud. Screaming at everybody does not help make your case.

Last edited by Jet Travis; 01-30-09 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-30-09, 11:44 PM
Rober

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If there is one thing I don't miss about living in the East its the horrible ice storms. I hope all of you living in the path of this one (the pictures of it we see here are frightening!) are OK. My thoughts are with you.

We deal with all kinds of weirdnesses here in UT, but ice storms are not among them. Stay warm!

Robert
Old 02-02-09, 05:32 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
Just real happy the temps went above 50 Sunday, so I could chain saw up the two river birches we lost. Luckily, didn't hit any power lines going to the house. We never lost power, but it seemed most of the neighborhoods surrounding us, about 5 miles out did. Strange-the power outage was like a circle around us. The only power outage was me, after weilding a chain saw for several hours and dragging off the branches to a neighbors burn pile.
Old 02-02-09, 06:22 AM
Bob Nichols

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Stop Global Warming!

Kentucky got hit by the same storm. My house looks like yours: trees down everywhere, etc. They are predicting it may be a week or more before the power is restored.

I openned up the paper and saw a picture of Al Gore pedaliing his wares before the Congress, hoping to get a generous cut of the massive pork barrel bill oops I mean financial stimulus bill being debated.

I agree. I lost all respect for the Nobel prize when they gave it to Al Gore. Man is pretty arrogant if he thinks we can control the weather.
Old 02-02-09, 06:23 AM
Bob Nichols

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got up to 60º yesterday afternoon. I went for a pretty good ride in my shorts and tee shirt.
Old 02-02-09, 08:48 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Old 02-02-09, 11:53 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
It got up to 50F yesterday. Yay! It's back down tothe 30's and it's going to snow over the next three days.

I can't tell from the above picture if I'm supposed to be sticking my head in the sand or the snow. It doesn't matter, I only have one choice at the moment. I hope my balaclava keeps my ears from turning blue and falling off.
Old 02-02-09, 12:21 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
You may be right, but it doesn't entitle you to be a rude and obnoxious boor, which is something you do about once a month. According to what I know of netiquette, the caps lock key is for shouting. All caps in bold is shouting out loud. Screaming at everybody does not help make your case.
You talking to moi? Calling someone a rude obnoxious boor is rather, well, rude and obnoxious. I checked my PM and you didn't bother to send me your concerns privitely, as one or two have done in the past. I wonder why not?

Anyway, we live in a notoriously unsubtile era. I did not mean to hurt anyone's feelings, most of all yours.

If you're talking about the caps in the signature block, use of that is common so I think your objection is more ideologic than based on etiquette. If it said "VOTE FOR OBAMA" I doubt you'd give it a second thought.

But I am a peaceable chap, so I changed it.