Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

$25 trailer for 450 mile ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-09, 05:08 PM
dar83

Bikes: allez elite / rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$25 trailer for 450 mile ride

So to keep this from turning into a 9000 word essay I'm just going to hit on the highlights here.
Me and a few others are biking the natchez trace in 3 weeks. Needed a way to bring all our gear beacuse we won't have any support once we leave out of Nashvile. Found this cheap childs trailer on craigslist and rigged it up so we could all take turns pulling in on the trace. Now The trailer was in really good shape, but the way it attached was to the carbon riser on the back of the bike and I didn't want the added stress to the carbon. After some tinkering I rigged it so it could quickly be connected to either of the 3 or so bikes going to the aluminum lower triangle. Heres where i need some help. If anyone who's done one a long distance multiday ride, or just has some good insight please chime in. Are we going to regret pullling a trailer and would it be better to just go with all of us having some decent bags. Are there any issues you could think of that may come up from having the trailer hooked to the bikes the way I do. Going to try and keep it light as possible, under 80lbs for sure. Any advice would be great. Thanks always

https://s627.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=DSC00004.jpg

https://s627.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=DSC00006.jpg

Old 05-03-09, 05:28 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
You might ask this question in the Touring Forum and in the Utility Forum .................. most cyclists doing centuries, brevets, and 24-hour races travel quite light.
Old 05-03-09, 06:10 PM
dar83

Bikes: allez elite / rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks, i actually thought i did... see what happens when you open to many tabs in firefox
Old 05-06-09, 10:06 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
A while back, I was expecting to go on a camping trip about 20 miles away, and got industrious and made me a nice little trailer. The camping trip got cancelled, but I did try the trailer around the block. I made a discovery: I don't like pulling trailers! So my suggestion is, get all your gear out, plus some groceries, load that little trailer down, invite your friends on a practice run and see how y'all like it. Try to get several miles in each, try some hills and stuff. That way you don't get 10 miles into a 450 mile ride and start thinking "Dang, this was a BAD idea!"
Old 05-06-09, 10:28 PM
pwdeegan
smitten by саша

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz with Rohloff; mutt parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one advantage i've found with my trailer vs. panniers, is that i can carry a lot of weight (50-100#), without making the bike any less stable than a trailer with little weight (except for braking, of course). plus, when you don't need to carry the gear, unhooking the trailer makes it feel like you've got a brand new super-light racing bike in under 10 seconds!

a properly loaded pannier bike will be fine, of course, with heavy loads; the trailer might make packing/unpacking a little easier though.
Old 05-07-09, 01:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
That's no $25 trailer. That probably sold for hundreds, originally.

To each his own. I actually prefer pulling a trailer over attaching bags to the bike. I pulled both my daughters in our trailer simultaneously. I was lucky we didn't live in a very hilly area at the time. It was tough when I hit headwinds, though.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-07-09, 07:40 PM
halfbiked
dangerous with tools

Bikes: fat, long, single & fast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dar83
Are there any issues you could think of that may come up from having the trailer hooked to the bikes the way I do.
I don't see how you've allowed for the trailer to move independently of the tow vehicle. Your hitch needs to allow for differences in pitch, yaw and roll between the bike & trailer. i.e. the bike leans in turns, a two wheeled trailer does not. Also, it appears you're counting on friction to hold the 'hitch' to your stay. I suspect you'll find that over time - like a long day's ride - the hitch will work itself loose through flexing.

You might try looking at the way the burley trailers attach. They sell just the 'hitch' that mounts to the bike & the rubber 'tongue' on the trailer that allows for the relative motion I describe above. Or copy the design with your own materials.
Old 05-07-09, 07:50 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by halfbiked
I don't see how you've allowed for the trailer to move independently of the tow vehicle. Your hitch needs to allow for differences in pitch, yaw and roll between the bike & trailer. i.e. the bike leans in turns, a two wheeled trailer does not. Also, it appears you're counting on friction to hold the 'hitch' to your stay. I suspect you'll find that over time - like a long day's ride - the hitch will work itself loose through flexing.

You might try looking at the way the burley trailers attach. They sell just the 'hitch' that mounts to the bike & the rubber 'tongue' on the trailer that allows for the relative motion I describe above. Or copy the design with your own materials.
+10. I wouldn't trust that setup at all.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 05-07-09, 08:26 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I used a similar trailer on tour, all over the UP of Michigan, including across the fire roads through the Superior national Forest....

It did quite well, other than the fact that it allowed me to grossly overload myself, and not notice it until I tried to ride uphill. On flat ground, the apparent weight load was about 10 pounds, but I sure noticed it trying to ride uphill.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-09-09, 01:14 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The trailer looks good, but you definitely need a bona fide hitch. This rigged up system will either break within a few kilometres if you are lucky, or in the middle of nowhere if you are not. I think, however, that your trailer should be compatible with either Wike, Burley's or Chariot's hitch system.