Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice on Campag Mirage/Shimano rear mech combo

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 09-01-13, 08:59 AM
barkersoldbean

Bikes: Canyon Dura ace, Pinarello Asolo Super Record, Holdsworth Nuovo Record, Duratec Di2 Tandem, Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi to all,

Our Ibis tandem (which I bought 2nd hand) has a campag mirage 9 speed shifter set up linked to a Shimano Deore rear mech with a traveller in between.

Brakes are twin bb7 discs.

The shifting is rather stiff - this is despite attention to lubrication/replacing all cables. I suspect the traveller installed just before the rear mech is the culprit. When you try and rotate it - it seems a bit stiff - even after good lubrication.

Question I have is - is there any reason why the (odd?) combination of Campag and Shimano? Could I just replace the shifters with a 9 speed shimano set up , ditch the traveller and have a smoother set up?

The reason I ask is that we used a Cannondale tandem with 105 set up and it was as slick/smooth shifting as my Shimano clad road bike?

Thoughts?
Old 09-01-13, 10:13 AM
professorbob

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, you probably could just replace it with Shimano shifters. I have a J-Tek Shiftmate using Camp. Veloce 10 sp. shifter with 9 sp. Shimano drive train and I works very smoothly. Is the traveller a J-Tek brand or another? The reason I ask is that a Shiftmate is somewhere around $40 whereas 105 shifter/brake levers (if you can find them in 9 speed) are several hundred.
Old 09-03-13, 10:07 AM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a similiar Campy/Shimano shifting setup with the Shiftmate and works flawlessly. You could just move to a Shimano brifter.
Old 09-03-13, 10:59 AM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Just switching the shifters to Shimano might not work. If you are running a Campagnolo cassette, the spacing will be different. Changing the rear derailleur to a Campagnolo mech would be the best solution in that case. If the cassette is Shimano, by all means go with Shimano shifters. As for the shifting being stiff, Campy shifters can feel that way until they're broken in.
Old 09-03-13, 03:55 PM
joe@vwvortex

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster Tandem, S-works 29r, Specialized Tarmac SL4

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are running a shimano or sram cassette - I have a Sram X-9 rear derailleur that was modified by DaVinci designs to adapt Campy 10 sp levers to Shimano or Sram 9 sp cassettes. It works fine and was used for about 3 months. I finally went to Campy 10sp when my rear wheel failed and needed to be rebuilt. I'll sell it for $50.
Old 09-09-13, 01:40 AM
barkersoldbean

Bikes: Canyon Dura ace, Pinarello Asolo Super Record, Holdsworth Nuovo Record, Duratec Di2 Tandem, Brompton

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks Joe - this would have been a good solution, but looks like i have got hold of some 9 speed 105 shifters from ebay that will do the trick (i.e. get rid of the shift mate).
T