Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

concerning our new neighborhood

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 12:10 PM
justblues

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The LBS convenient to our new neighbor looks like it primarily carries Scott bicycles. I've not seen many on the forums commenting on Scott. Do any of you have one? What are opinions?
Old 03-24-15, 01:13 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About a month ago there was a post by someone who bought a used Scott bicycle. Last I checked the post was headed for lockdown (or moving to Foo).

No experience with Scott myself.
Old 03-24-15, 01:29 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,176 Times in 1,467 Posts
I'm not real familiar with their entire product line. But as far as high end road bikes, they are excellent. The Scott Foil gets rated at the top in test of aero bikes (Velonews, Tour, etc.) and the Scott Addict for regular road racing style ranks with the best.
Old 03-24-15, 04:57 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Scott are good bicycles, there are always some or any marque that are either lemons or not cared for that a post or reply rakes them over the coals. We have two shops that carry them here, plenty of them on the roads, too. The triathletes seem to like their TT/Tri model pretty well, and the Foil and Addict models are first rate according to the riders that use them around our area. A lot of the good about owning a particular marque comes from the shop that sells the bicycle, and if they are responsive to you afterwards. They are worth looking into, if the shop is a good one.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-24-15, 05:05 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
I ride a 2008 Scott CR1. When introduced a few years earlier, the CR1 was one of the darlings of the bike industry ... very highly thought of ... as it was one of the earlier sub 1Kg frames that struck a balance between ride and performance.

My only gripe about mine (and I've griped about it often) is that the derailleur hanger was non-replaceable (and even milled to save weight). Poor choice, IMHO, and that was borne out after having my first serious crash with it about 400 miles after the purchase.

I believe all their current bikes have replaceable hangers, though. Give one a ride and see what you think. Now that I have the hanger thing sorted out, I love mine.

Here ya go:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bellatrix on TdF Redux.jpg (102.9 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Biker395; 03-24-15 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-24-15, 06:20 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Having ridden an Ultegra-equipped, late model, high end Scott to the summit of Haleakala Crater, on the island of Maui, in Hawaii, a few weeks ago, I can say I liked the bike. What's not to like about any upper level bike? ;-)
Old 03-25-15, 06:06 AM
justblues

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They carry Scott, Fuji and Felt, but the larger number of bikes on the floor are Scott.
Old 03-25-15, 06:27 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Felt has some very good entry level bicycles, actually any of these three has a good bike at most any level you can want. This would come down to the one that best fits you, is the correct type of bicycle for your riding, and is the shop a place you can work with over the years.

I'd check with other riders around your area about their reputation, if you do not already know them well. See if the others riding their bikes, and using their service like them and are content with their work. Even if you do most of your own work, having a good LBS makes cycling a lot more enjoyable. We can always find some great price on line, for something, but having a shop that will help you, listen to your likes and concerns and does quality work is worth all the time and effort to find them.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-25-15, 09:06 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Biker395, How did you deal with the broken non-replaceable derailleur hanger? I just bought a used Ciöcc frame and the non-replaceable hanger makes me nervous. It would be nice to know that I wouldn't have to toss the frame if the hanger broke.
Tom
Old 03-26-15, 09:04 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
It was a long process.

First, I tried simply bending it back. That worked fine for a couple of years, then it needed adjustment again. That worked for a year or so, then another bending adjustment. That worked for less than a year, and that is when I realized it was not going to work, and I was perhaps rising the aluminum breaking ... which, with my luck, may happen on a 30 MPH descent.

So, I set about to find another solution. The first possibility I explored was perhaps sawing off what remained, drilling a couple of holes, and installing another piece. I looked on the web and found some people who had some success with that. At the same time, I investigated what it would cost to simply replace the dropout. The first place I went was Calfee. The first time I called them, they wanted something like $600 to replace it. I also had to strip the bike down to the frame, and ship it to them and pay for return shipping.

I finally decided to swallow hard and just pay to get the dropout replaced. I called Calfee and the price had gone up to $800. Oh, and they also wanted to charge me for the dropout .... $80. I knew that you could buy them from Scott for about $15 (I had already bought a couple of them), so at that point, I decided to look elsewhere. I don't mind so much the cost as I mind getting taken advantage of.

I eventually found a shop in Santa Monica (Predator) that makes custom carbon fiber frames. They were willing to fix it for $150. On top of that, I didn't have to strip the frame, or pay shipping both ways. Easy decision.

They replaced it, and did a good job. No problems since then.

Since I had the replacement done, Scott finally released a solution ... a small Aluminum hanger that would fit within the milled parts of the original hanger. All you needed to do was saw off the end of the hanger, and drill a couple of holes for a couple of screws. I think I might actually have gone with this if they had come up with it before.

Sorry you asked?

Oh ... I should say that Scott was willing to give me a new frame for a highly discounted price ... IF I could find the sales receipt. I dug around and found sales receipts for every bike I had ever bought ... all kinds of stuff ... except the Scott. I kinda wanted to stay with the old frame anyway.

Old 03-26-15, 11:15 AM
professorbob

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Every reputable company makes good bikes. Go out and ride several-you'll feel the difference. Pick the one you like best.
Old 03-26-15, 03:48 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
It was a long process.

I eventually found a shop in Santa Monica (Predator) that makes custom carbon fiber frames. They were willing to fix it for $150. On top of that, I didn't have to strip the frame, or pay shipping both ways. Easy decision.

They replaced it, and did a good job. No problems since then.

Since I had the replacement done, Scott finally released a solution ... a small Aluminum hanger that would fit within the milled parts of the original hanger. All you needed to do was saw off the end of the hanger, and drill a couple of holes for a couple of screws. I think I might actually have gone with this if they had come up with it before.

Sorry you asked?

Oh ... I should say that Scott was willing to give me a new frame for a highly discounted price ... IF I could find the sales receipt. I dug around and found sales receipts for every bike I had ever bought ... all kinds of stuff ... except the Scott. I kinda wanted to stay with the old frame anyway.
Thanks. I hope it never comes to it, but it's good to know that there is a work-around. My new frame was actually manufactured by Deda, so I hope such a big company will have a replacement hanger like the one Scott came out with.

To the OP: one of the guys I ride with has a Scott Addict and loves it. Seems to be a very nice bike.