Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-14, 08:53 PM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dilemma

I have a training dilemma that I'm trying to work out. Maybe you all have some advice.

In Colorado, we only have a 4-5 month track racing season.

Just keep that in mind. But let's talk about weight.

Currently I'm a "pretty lean" 198 pounder. I have lost almost 20 lbs since nationals in 2012. I was fat and it killed me. But I was strong.

So now that I have lost a good bit of weight, I managed to keep my power about the same level during my weight loss... until now. Now that I think I'm probably about 12% body fat, my weight loss efforts are showing in my power, which is on a decline. Makes me want to cry a little bit.

I really want to lose 10 more lbs. Man, I think it would be awesome to be so fit and lean. I'd probably be less than 10% body fat. Admittedly, I want to lose that weight for vanity reasons. You know, we all would love to be ripped to a certain degree. And I feel that even with the lost power and as hard as it to see my numbers go down, maybe still my power-to-weight ratio would be an advantage over where I am now.

On the other end of the spectrum, I could start eating more, and I'd surly see my numbers go back up. But then so does my weight. Less attractive option.

Or maybe I should just feel good about where I'm at, which I do, but how do you train? I don't want to get weaker, and I don't want to get heavier. So what's the best approach? Suggestions?
Old 06-30-14, 08:54 PM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And this year I'm not going to Nationals. Mostly racing for fun. But I still want to be at my best. I want to race at nationals and maybe even worlds (masters) in 2015. So maybe keep leaning up then this winter, just go nuts in the gym with a moderate caloric/carb increase?
Old 06-30-14, 11:04 PM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
overthinking it. whatever makes you feel better about yourself. your power has gone down but how are your times and results?
Old 06-30-14, 11:25 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Keep it fun, Mark.
Old 07-01-14, 06:14 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eat more cake
Old 07-01-14, 07:14 AM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
Keep it fun, Mark.
Absolutely. I've always said I'm not training for the Olympics! Doing the best that I can with a family job and other sports that I enjoy is exactly my idea of fun. I don't even have aspirations to get on the podium at masters nats. Just the competing aspect is a blast.

So yes. I agree.
Old 07-01-14, 07:42 AM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That said... I still want to know what's better: big and powerful or light and "kind of powerful" haha. Avoiding cake right now. :-)
Old 07-01-14, 07:46 AM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Impreza_aL
overthinking it. whatever makes you feel better about yourself. your power has gone down but how are your times and results?

Results so far are good. And I feel way better on the bike being lighter. And in my daily activities in general. Sounds like for the sake of keeping it more fun per carletons advice I may just try to lose 10 more lbs and feel really good. Even if it means less power. Also I'm more interested these days in scratch racing and match sprinting rather than simply having a fast 200
Old 07-01-14, 07:53 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although its not happening for you at the moment, I'm not sure that big and powerful can't also be lean, which is what i'm understanding is what you're after.

I read somewhere a while back (could've been upupup! ?) that track sprinters are amongst the leanest of athletes inspite of their muscle mass, so there's got to be a way to do it.

just thinking from first principles, muscles break down from 'damage' and when the body goes around looking for fuel when the sugar stores are depleted. So theoretically, if you provide a lean protein source after training (peak damage &/ or depleted states, generally), one should not go into muscle catabolism?

Maybe staying off the cake will be helpful, but adding a good protein drink after lifting? if you already do that, maybe its about making sure its enough?

Last edited by Velocirapture; 07-01-14 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-01-14, 08:18 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ice cream?

Outside of power lifting and strong man competitions, I don't know where a higher body fat percentage is existing at the highest level. Look at any olympic level track sprints, they are probably 5% BF.

What numbers are you seeing go down? 5s power? flying 200? If you are dropping weight fast (2-5lbs/month) you are likely losing some muscle mass with it, its impossible to perfectly balance it. But you should be able to cut body fat without losing strength if you take your time and do it smart.

What is your training program like? Are you losing this weight by going on 4hr rides? Those will make you slow in a hurry. Where in your training season are you? Should you even be fast right now? Are you lifting? Are you racing? Are you sprinting?

I dont actually care the answers, these are just questions to ask yourself and my point is, weight does not equal speed on the track. At all. Dropping 20lbs in 2 years I don't think is your problem though, I imagine its more related to training/age/stress/not enough ice cream
Old 07-01-14, 07:12 PM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gtrob
ice cream?

Outside of power lifting and strong man competitions, I don't know where a higher body fat percentage is existing at the highest level. Look at any olympic level track sprints, they are probably 5% BF.

What numbers are you seeing go down? 5s power? flying 200? If you are dropping weight fast (2-5lbs/month) you are likely losing some muscle mass with it, its impossible to perfectly balance it. But you should be able to cut body fat without losing strength if you take your time and do it smart.

What is your training program like? Are you losing this weight by going on 4hr rides? Those will make you slow in a hurry. Where in your training season are you? Should you even be fast right now? Are you lifting? Are you racing? Are you sprinting?

I dont actually care the answers, these are just questions to ask yourself and my point is, weight does not equal speed on the track. At all. Dropping 20lbs in 2 years I don't think is your problem though, I imagine its more related to training/age/stress/not enough ice cream
This is great stuff. I do have answers to all your questions, and this helps a lot. Thanks. I think my plan is to train for next year and just keep leaning up slowly. I think I can still get stronger and leaner. Best of both worlds. Just maybe not this season.