Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone use a rear view mirror?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone use a rear view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 06:15 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Heat shrink.
Old 05-12-17, 06:33 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I got one years ago when the folks running Seattle to Portland recommended it. I got a Take a Look and was used to it in an hour or less. So used to it that after the ride when I was walking and heard noise behind I'd glance left for a peek, even though it wasn't there.

I never wore one as a young rider. It's a concession to being 64 and recognizing my head isn't on the swivel it used to be that I embrace my mirror.
I certainly didn't use mirrors when I was younger and relied on my ears. I currently don't use a mirror in part because I mainly ride on lightly used MUPs but I've been thinking of getting one for some of the tours I'll do this summer. I agree part of the problem is that my head doesn't swivel quite as easily as it used to, : )
Old 05-12-17, 06:39 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Heat shrink.
I work in an office with some electronic equipment and I have used this on my take-a-look mirrors to replace the original rubber parts.
Old 05-12-17, 04:36 PM
mwalsh5757

Bikes: His & Hers 1966 Schwinn Collegiates (Mom and Dad), 3 1998 GT Palomars (The Twins and the Red Headed Step)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just ordered me the Mirrcyle mirror. Got wide enough bars that I think I'm going to be able to mount it down and inboard, so it's less likely to get broken.

https://www.amazon.com/Mirrycle-MTB-...4628513&sr=8-1
Old 05-12-17, 05:17 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Jim from boston, The stuff is called heat shrink. You can buy it lots of places ( Home Depot, Lowes, Radio shack, auto parts stores, etc) It comes in varuious diameters, so it is useful in a lot of places.
Old 05-12-17, 08:05 PM
GTryder

Bikes: 1993 Trek 520 Touring, 2009 Globe SF 2, 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0, 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I use bar end mirrors on my bikes.
Zefal make several models; the Cyclop is wide angle and somewhat distorted, although it doesn't require finicky placement. The Spin is quite small, but most versatile for mounting on both flat bars or drops. The Dooback is larger and I like it on my commuter bike. Mirrors - ZEFAL
In the past I have also used the Louis Garneau mirror ($11.99 Cdn), but it will eventually loosen up and cannot be totally tightened.
https://garneau.com/int/en/cycling/r...r/black-020-60
I have just ordered this "Motorcycle" mirror from eBay and am anxiously waiting to try it. Hopefully will be more robust than the above mentioned cycling mirrors, although it does not fold away.
Lastly I tried this palm mirror with Fat Bike, for winter riding - requires some hand movement but overall works quite well.
https://static.dudeiwantthat.com/img/...rror-20037.jpg

Last edited by GTryder; 05-12-17 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-12-17, 08:35 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
I use mirror-cycle on my touring bike. Great clear mirror but a bit awkward. I use a bar end on my road bike - a bit blurry, but gives you the general idea. Nothing on my mountain bike. If those bears are getting closer I'd rather not know!
Old 05-12-17, 08:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by mwalsh5757
Just ordered me the Mirrcyle mirror. Got wide enough bars that I think I'm going to be able to mount it down and inboard, so it's less likely to get broken.

https://www.amazon.com/Mirrycle-MTB-...4628513&sr=8-1
I mounted my Mirrycle on one bike upside down, using the full articulating arm and elbow joint for adjustments. Not to protect it from damage -- the Mirrycle is tough and has withstood many bonks and a few crashes. But the below the bar position works well with my flat bar bike -- just a more natural position. I prefer it above the bar on my bike with riser bar.
Old 05-13-17, 03:52 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
I use a Zefal Spy mirror clamped to the end of my left drop bar. Slight preference for that over mirrors that clamp to my glasses.

Dave
Old 05-16-17, 05:49 AM
Rob In RealLife

Bikes: My main, forever Ride, is My 1973 Schwinn Varsity named Henry. He's a tough old number. But I usually have a herd of varying size onhand that I am working on. I fix delapidated bicycles back to working dependable condition and put them up for sale .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CATEYE BM-300G turned to the inside on the lefthand end of My andtique Schwinn 'city bars' turned 'H-bars'... indespensable!
Old 05-19-17, 02:28 PM
mwalsh5757

Bikes: His & Hers 1966 Schwinn Collegiates (Mom and Dad), 3 1998 GT Palomars (The Twins and the Red Headed Step)

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the Mirrcyle fitted, sticking out for the time being. Seems alright, but looks a little dorky. Is anybody running it without the sticky-out arm piece? I figured I'd get the same range of adjustment by mounting the mirror directly to the handlebar arm, making my up/down adjustments at the bar end and my side-to-side adjustments at the mirror. No?

Edit: Yeah...this:

Last edited by mwalsh5757; 05-19-17 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 02:37 PM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to use handle bar mounted mirrors but gave up on them. They were constantly getting knocked around, they made leaning the bicycle up against something a bit more difficult (no kick stand). If possible get "a take a look" mirror that mounts to glasses or helmet, take sometime and learn how to adjust it and I think you will find it much better than a handle bar mounted mirror. Good luck with the mirror search, a good mirror is IMHO the best and most important safety device you can have.
Old 05-19-17, 04:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I started using a Take-A-Look mirror a few years ago. I like it so much that I carry it with me when I don't ride, in case I grab a bike unexpectedly. Since I've been using it, my skill with it has increased. I can now sweep and take a look, and I feel that I can see around myself in almost 360º. I like being able to merge left more quickly and confidently.

If you're just starting with a mirror, don't be too confident. Look with the mirror and then turn your head to confirm. The first time I used one, I looked, didn't see a car, and then moved and discovered there was a car there. I didn't get hurt, but it was scary.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-20-17, 06:27 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by mwalsh5757
...Seems alright, but looks a little dorky...
I think that's why so many are against mirrors, because they don't look cool, they all want to look cool like a real cyclist

Old 05-20-17, 07:22 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I think that's why so many are against mirrors, because they don't look cool, they all want to look cool like a real cyclist https://youtu.be/j7jKtJLZ4O
I wear both left and right Take-a-Look mirrors, and many times when I go into a store or some other stop while cycling. I'm asked about them, including by the ladies, and the usual response is "cool."

Probably it is cool because I don't wear full kit, and come across as a rugged individualist.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…there is IMO, a large segment of noble cyclists, e.g. tourists and commuters who are neither [Roadies] nor Fred’s, but certainly serious cyclists.

My Fred Manifesto is, "I am not a Fred, you are not a Fred, we ought not be treated this way". So I propose a new name, currently applied to frequent business travelers—ROAD WARRIORS. I AM A ROAD WARRIOR—think Mel Gibson…

IMO, the society which exalts roadies and scorns road warriors will have roads only built for cars
Originally Posted by stardognine
I think I choose to call myself Road Warrior. Thanks for the cool name, dude from Boston. 😎

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-20-17 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-20-17, 08:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Years ago I Tried some stick on the inside of your cycling glasses tiny mirrors , but since I already needed reading glasses
my eyes could not focus in well enough to use them.
Old 05-20-17, 10:17 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I could never get used to a helmet or eyeglass mirror for several reasons so have always looked for bar mounts. This one is hands down the best I've ever used: rock steady, great field of view, lightweight, easy to adjust. There are a number of mounting possibilities, but where I positioned it is very useful without interfering with my hand positions.

There are some drawbacks to having it stick out to one side like that, such as only being able to lean it on the right side, but so far it has been worth it. I'd actually like to order another one as a backup, but the Amazon page indicates that it's availability is now unknown. :-(
Old 05-20-17, 10:22 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
FYA, I posted earlier on this thread about using left and right Take-a-Look:BTW the only irksome thing for me about Take-a-Look mirrors is that those rubber sleeves on the prongs of the attachment end to grip, to the eyeglasses, tend to slip off and are easily lost. I learned of a product sold at electric stores (don’t know brand name) that is hollow tubular insulating material that will shrink around those prongs when heated and becomes firmly attached.

ADDENDUM:
Repaired my take-a-look with shrink tube too a while back. A hair dryer will provide sufficient heat.
Old 05-20-17, 10:34 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Repaired my take-a-look with shrink tube too a while back. A hair dryer will provide sufficient heat.
Originally Posted by Baldy1953
Jim from boston, The stuff is called heat shrink. You can buy it lots of places ( Home Depot, Lowes, Radio shack, auto parts stores, etc) It comes in various diameters, so it is useful in a lot of places.
Thanks for the reply; I had to go to a store to get matches, since no one (where I work) smokes, but easier than finding a hairdryer.
Old 05-20-17, 05:06 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Since turning 70 this year, I decide to get a little more safety cautious. Bought this from Nashbar
Zefal Spy Bike/Handlebar Mounted Mirror

Easily moves from bike to bike, and stays in place. Not too big, just perfect. KB
Old 05-21-17, 03:28 AM
Cheese Head

Bikes: 2013 Sisu Estavant Ti road bike, 2011 Jamis Supernova, 1994 Giant Sedonna, 2 1987 Miyata 615 GT's, 1970's all chrome Fuji

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
I could never get used to a helmet or eyeglass mirror for several reasons so have always looked for bar mounts. This one is hands down the best I've ever used: rock steady, great field of view, lightweight, easy to adjust. There are a number of mounting possibilities, but where I positioned it is very useful without interfering with my hand positions.

There are some drawbacks to having it stick out to one side like that, such as only being able to lean it on the right side, but so far it has been worth it. I'd actually like to order another one as a backup, but the Amazon page indicates that it's availability is now unknown. :-(

https://www.amazon.com/UltraLite-acc...ZPVY70ZRN7V4J5

Above is a link to a different seller for your mirror. Note the shipping times though.
Old 05-21-17, 05:30 PM
Ravenwing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheese Head
https://www.amazon.com/UltraLite-acc...ZPVY70ZRN7V4J5

Above is a link to a different seller for your mirror. Note the shipping times though.
FYI, this item is listed as 'in stock' at Bike Tires Direct. Disclaimer: I have no ties to the company, just turned it up in a google search.........and ordered one!
Old 05-23-17, 06:47 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
In fairness, cyclists don't change lanes nearly as often as automobile or motorcycle drivers do.
Originally Posted by caloso
My bike doesn't have pillars or passengers to block my view when I turn my head.
Both are invalid points because if you're riding on a road and/or in public with traffic, you need to be aware of your surroundings and scanning into a rearview mirror is quicker and allows a rider to do it more often that turning one's head. I've ridden up on many cyclists without mirrors who were completely oblivious to my presence so they had no idea what traffic was around them, they may as well have been riding with blinders on. As for pillars or passengers, yeah, my motorcycles don't have either so I suppose mirrors aren't necessary? Seriously?

Instead of making excuses for not using mirrors maybe it's best to take advantage of the tools that are available that help us riders be more aware of our surroundings... you can't argue that it's a safer way to ride.
Old 05-23-17, 07:01 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Like many others have posted, I never ride without my helmet mounted take a look mirror.
I started off with a bar mounted mirror but it fell off within a couple of rides (poor installation, I guess) But I soon got used to the helmet mounted mirror. It allows me to do a quick sweep of the area behind me by just a slight swing of my head.
Mirror + ears + occasional look back makes me more aware of my surroundings.
Old 05-23-17, 09:37 AM
lize

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got one for my trike. Not great but it helps a lot. I would post but will not let me post URL's yet. Fantasy Life Universal Bicycle Rearview Mirror - Safety Mountain Road Bike Convex Glass Rearview Mirror.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.