Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tires, E-bike compatible or not?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-20, 08:22 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts

In my quest for new tires for my fitness bike (Trek FX, non E-Bike) I'm seeing a lot of tires that are being advertised as E-Bike compatible or E-Bike ready. But when I look closely at the specs there is no mention of any particular E-Bike build specification other than they seem more puncture resistant and heavier. For example, I'm looking at the Vittoria Revolution Tech G2.0 in 35mm width.

Is there any particular reason I should shy away from these E-Bike compatible tires other than the weight and apparent stiffness?
Old 03-14-20, 08:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Probably not if you are not concerned with a heavier stiffer tire being on your bike. Some regular bicycle tires probably aren't suitable for E-bikes because they aren built for the heavier loading of some of the heavier e-bikes.
Old 03-14-20, 08:52 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I would be happy to switch the robust 700x45 tires on my spouse's Trek e-assist to a lighter 35-40mm tire if she wished. She doesn't.
Her bike is a 20 mph max model and she weighs 50 lbs less than me. Her tires would probably be good for me on a 28mph e-assist bike. Overkill but seem to be rugged tires, which is a good thing.

Last edited by JanMM; 03-14-20 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-14-20, 08:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by JanMM
but seem to be rugged tires, which is a good thing.
What's good for one isn't necessarily good for all. I wouldn't want a heavy and potentially hard riding tire.
Old 03-14-20, 09:06 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
What's good for one isn't necessarily good for all. I wouldn't want a heavy and potentially hard riding tire.
Yeah, I would probably not tolerate tires like those for long.
Old 03-14-20, 09:48 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
You'll get a better workout, but you probably won't enjoy it.
Old 03-14-20, 10:51 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Thanks everyone. And you are correct... the weight really goes up fast with these tires. I'm looking for a 32-38mm tire that is as durable as can be expected. I am willing to sacrafice wome weight in order to achieve this goal. I plan on using this bike for a couple of 80 mile overnight rides this summer (slow speed) and would prefer to enjoy the ride rather than be changing flats, and knowing if I run across a rough road I can handle it.

I was pretty sure these e-bike tires were just reinforced heavy tires.
Old 03-14-20, 11:35 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Just marketing. More and more tires get that label. Same way you can buy water that is advertised as "no carb, no fat) etc. True, but meaningless statement. There is nothing an ebike changes for the tire besides a bit added weight.you also add a bit more torque to the rear tire and possibly higher speeds. More braking too, since you don't need to ride with conserving momentum in mind. An ebike will just wear all components a bit more.

What you need to choose if you want a durable, or light tire. Touring tires are heavier, but have good flat protection and long life. On the other side a racing tire will be light, but not durable. Both could be used on an ebike.

There are ebike specific brakes. Why wouldn't a downhill 4-pot brake not also be able to handle the added 15 lb the ebike adds? What if you ride the ebike dowhill?

Same way hey have ebike brakes. i see the added weight, but why woudl a s
Old 03-14-20, 11:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Being overly worried about flats will cause you to buy a harsh riding tire more likely than not. Flats are easy to fix once you learn.

I ride rough roads some too, and I don't get flats from them. I do get flats when I run off the road and don't check the tread for glass and rock shards or other debri.
Old 03-14-20, 02:47 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Being overly worried about flats will cause you to buy a harsh riding tire more likely than not. Flats are easy to fix once you learn.

I ride rough roads some too, and I don't get flats from them. I do get flats when I run off the road and don't check the tread for glass and rock shards or other debri.
Good riding quality and flat protection are not mutually exclusive. The Schwalbe Marathon tires, for example, have really low rolling resistance, and are extremely well protected while lasting long. I have the Allmotion version tubeless and it rolls really really nicely. Even without tubeless they look like one never needs to worry about flats from thorns. They are heavy, though. I think durable and light weight are mostly mutually exclusive unless you throw military-grade and costly technology at it.

A cheap tire is harsh, but a durable tire not necessarily.

Fixing flats is demoralizing. What if the flat happens when you are already running late, or when it gets dark or starts to rain, or in a bad neighborhood? Or you ride where are multiple thorns etc.
Old 03-14-20, 06:19 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
One thing that hasn't been discussed is the difficulty changing tires on some E bikes , especially the rear wheel that contains the motor. I have had a few E bikes come through the Bike Exchange and had to go online to get directions for removal and replacement .It was a couple hour process with the instructions in hand and possibly un doable without them. Faced with that hassle I would put durability and flat protection at the top of my list.

By the way, I now have (2) E zip bikes I recently purchased for $100 each . They are like new and the batteries hold a charge. These are Low tech bikes with a 450 watt motor hung off the side of the chain stay. They don't go up hills well , especially hauling my 260 lbs. but they are reasonably well built and are the perfect steed for Burning Man , which is held in the Nevada wilderness on a dry lake bed that is as flat as a pool table.