Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Regular knobbies (mud tires) for winter riding?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Regular knobbies (mud tires) for winter riding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-20, 09:55 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenMiranda
Zoom in...I ride the one in back in deep snow, the other in all other conditions...notice both have slick rears. Live in Spokane Washington.
After having the pleasure of riding this whole winter, your approach makes a lot of sense to me. For riding on the road you don't really need tread MOST of the time. I think even when it's wet there's not a need for a ton of traction. It's when it's snowy that I found some knobbies seemed to help. My wife's cruiser with normal cruiser treaded knobbies and my daughters bike has Kenda K Rad's and they both did very well. I didn't attempt it with my cruiser cuz my tires although have the knobby cruiser tire they are getting kind of old and lost some traction. And my gearing is too high. Even my son's bike I put on these sort of hybrid type tires where there is tread but the grooves are closer together and profile is flat. If you know what I mean. Even though seemed to do OK in snow. But a bit knobbier with bigger spaces seemed to be even better.