Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What did you do for your Hybrid today

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

What did you do for your Hybrid today

Old 07-02-20, 10:25 PM
SpeedRanger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
Replaced Sram Digit 7 brakes with a new set of TRP CX9's

Likes For SpeedRanger:
Old 07-04-20, 08:34 PM
Meech33

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 38 Posts
Likes For Meech33:
Old 07-05-20, 05:33 PM
Meech33

Specialized Roll Sport
Likes For Meech33:
Old 07-10-20, 12:44 PM
Jagamov

Bikes: Specialized Roll Elite LTD, Sirrus X 5.0, Allez Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Decided a carbon bike needed some carbon parts.

Old 07-16-20, 06:54 PM
Meech33

Likes For Meech33:
Old 07-25-20, 06:29 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
I snatched the pair of 700cx28 Vee Road Runners off of my hybridizaed Raleigh Flyer that's temporarily out of commission and - with some difficulty - swapped them in place of the stock 700cx25 Bontrager AW1's on my 17.5-inch 7.6FX.

The transformation in comfort and speed is amazing. I'm looking into getting a second pair for my 15-inch.

The only problem is that the valve stems of the 28mm-compatible tubes that I had lying around were too short, so I had to use the same 20-25mm tubes with 48mm stems that I had. I hope I can get away with that until I get around to buying some tubes!

Last edited by sjanzeir; 07-25-20 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-27-20, 09:23 AM
Saji1965

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gary Fisher Nirvana

Upgraded and tuned my 20 years old Gary Fisher - New rear derailleur, new chain and waxed, all new cables and housing, new grip shifter, new front wheel, overhauled brakes, new brake pads. new rear sprokets, new pedals, new seat post and new saddle.

Loving the ride and so smooth -
Old 08-04-20, 09:27 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I brought my Escape back to the LBS one more time to see if they could get the gears to work correctly. They had the bike for three hours. It seemed better when I rode it around the block at the store, but I'll see tomorrow if they got it right this time.
Old 08-05-20, 02:24 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2018), Giant Roam 3 (2021), Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 (2022)

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 64 Posts
I installed some MTB pedals on my Giant Escape - all by myself - after watching a few videos on YouTube. I really found the 'step on the wrench' technique very effective it getting the stock pedals off. Apart from that it was pretty easy.

Paid a little bit more than I wanted too at $50AUD, but prices for bikes and parts seem to be a bit distorted at the moment, and I didn't want to wait until COVID passes to get a new set of pedals.

Likes For Cornchips:
Old 08-05-20, 04:26 AM
spicytomato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CUBE Cross Pro 2020
The stock pedals it came with, the right pedal in particular, gave in and early, as expected, at 300 km ridden, which leads to annoying sound on nearly every crank turn.
I knew they would not last, just figured they would last longer, lol.

So, today ordered a pair of SHIMANO PD EH500 hybrid pedals, recommended by a fellow experienced cyclist.

Once I get to install them, will start looking for my first cycling shoes.
Old 08-05-20, 07:03 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by spicytomato
CUBE Cross Pro 2020
The stock pedals it came with, the right pedal in particular, gave in and early, as expected, at 300 km ridden, which leads to annoying sound on nearly every crank turn.
I knew they would not last, just figured they would last longer, lol.

So, today ordered a pair of SHIMANO PD EH500 hybrid pedals, recommended by a fellow experienced cyclist.

Once I get to install them, will start looking for my first cycling shoes.
Stock pedals usually are indeed a temporary solution, but are you sure the pedal is toast instead of just needing a bit of tightening? Various parts of a new bike may need tightening and/or adjusting after a break-in period.
Old 08-05-20, 11:21 AM
spicytomato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Stock pedals usually are indeed a temporary solution, but are you sure the pedal is toast instead of just needing a bit of tightening? Various parts of a new bike may need tightening and/or adjusting after a break-in period.

Tightened everything I could. Anyway, I realized I would like to have hybrid pedals quite early on.
Old 08-05-20, 11:31 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
Moved them out of the way.
Old 08-05-20, 10:23 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Arkel Randonneur Rack

I finally got around to fitting an Arkel Randonneur seat post rack on to my Scott Metrix. With its solid, sturdy saddle rail mount and soft seat post clamp, I can attest that this rack is quite rigid, safe and ultra convenient to use. It fits our needs quite well as we have relatively modest carrying requirements. Max weight carrying capacity for the Arkel rack is 6 kgs or 13 lbs. A lightweight roll bag replaces a small Osprey back pack that I’ve been using for longer rides. A center strap with a snap lock secures the bag to the rack and a couple of shock cords with snap hooks keep the ends firmly in place. Best of all, this rack takes virtually no time at all to install and remove.

https://www.arkel-od.com/arkel-randonneur-rack/

This rack also fits neatly on my wife’s Trek FX 5.

The 4L bag accommodates tools/spare tube in a separate mesh compartment while the larger roll top section fits anything from rain gear to snacks and more…

On rides when I don’t use the rack, my Gamin Varia gets attached to the saddle rails but its position can be easily moved to the tail end of the rack using an affixed mount.

Last edited by Batstar; 08-06-20 at 03:32 PM.
Likes For Batstar:
Old 08-06-20, 06:54 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
That's an interesting rack. I like the bag, too. What bungee straps are you using? Are they integral to the bag or are they separate?
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-06-20, 09:27 AM
Batstar

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
That's an interesting rack. I like the bag, too. What bungee straps are you using? Are they integral to the bag or are they separate?
Arkel seems to have hit the sweet spot for those who own bikes without mounts or eyelets for racks. Even though it likely won't accommodate panniers due to potential issues with carrying capacity, I think that it does fill a niche market. As for the bag, I actually purchased it on sale from a motorcycle shop and, at the time, it seemed to be the appropriate choice in terms of size and functionality. It doesn’t open at the top as most traditional trunk bags do but the roll top at the end works quite well for me. Having the separate compartment for tools and essentials is a nice touch. I believe that it was meant to be attached to the front fork of a motorbike as it came with two additional straps which were too short for my purposes.I fabricated the bungees to length myself and obtained the hooks and shock cord locally. Even though it does have a central strap and buckle, the bungees prevent the bag from moving laterally.
Old 08-06-20, 10:34 AM
hokiefyd 

Oh, I see, so the zippered end opens and then it's like a large cylinder? Fork bag makes sense for that.

I'd really appreciate if you could show more detail of your bungee straps. It looks like you have some plastic loop ends, which are nice for not scratching a nice black anodized rack like you have. All the smaller bungees I've seen use the cheap bent steel type looks which I don't want. I have a Topeak MTX bag and two MTX racks on two of my bikes, but I just got a semi-recumbent with an integrated rack and other various bikes that don't have MTX racks, and I'd like to have one bag system that I can bungee to any rack in a clean-looking way. I really like your setup, the size of the bag, the pump along side, etc. It looks very tidy.
Old 08-06-20, 01:08 PM
Batstar

Its more of an oval cylinder although the shape does taper down slightly towards the roll top when it's cinched closed. I attached my Kool Stop bead jack on the other side of the bag. I wasn’t sure what size of snap hook would fit so I just purchased a bunch of 5mm versions with the same spec of shock cord. The assembled bungees are 11" in total length.One end of the shock cord gets inserted into the bottom of the cylindrical fitting and then the cord is knotted to prevent it slipping through. Snip any excess cord from the knot and pull it down into the fitting. The hook is inserted into the top and its barbed ends clicks into place. It was just sheer coincidence that the plastic loop of the hook snaps neatly on to the frame of the rack. Here are a couple of more shots with a better view of the attached bag and bungees.

Likes For Batstar:
Old 08-06-20, 06:18 PM
hokiefyd 

Thanks -- those look great!
Old 09-24-20, 09:26 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Had installed my Thompson seatpost and my new saddle. Was shipped a gel saddle by mistake rather than the regular SMP saddle. Was hesitant at first since I've had not such great experiences with gel saddles in past, but decided to try it out. WOW, I'm really happy I decided to try it out yesterday on my morning ride on the C&O. This was really comfortable. Also put the seat tube up a bit higher than I used to have. Not too high that I still have a bend at the knee when extended, but my ride really went well and faster yesterday.

Now have a new hub for building a stronger rear wheel, and am about to order new Velocity rims. Current rear wheel is slightly out of true due to a crash I had last month. Realized I needed something stronger. Plus, since my son took over my light set, it meant new lights for me! Oh wait, not for me, but for my hybrid!

Likes For travbikeman:
Old 09-24-20, 01:48 PM
hokiefyd 

travbikeman what's the condition of the tow path these days? I have heard they've really improved the surface of most of it. I regret to say I haven't been out there at all this season, but hope to remedy that this fall.
Old 09-24-20, 02:21 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
travbikeman what's the condition of the tow path these days? I have heard they've really improved the surface of most of it. I regret to say I haven't been out there at all this season, but hope to remedy that this fall.
It's really nice riding from Shepherdstown east towards DC, very similar to other rails to trails. Riding west of Shepherdstown, that has not yet been converted to the new stones. It's still the older trail, but some of the rock gardens had been cleaned up from the last floods 2-3 years ago. Otherwise, it's the same. Only issue I have with the new stones from any rail to trail system, is they really dust up your bike. Any decent long rides will require a thorough drive-train cleaning at end of ride.

Last edited by travbikeman; 09-24-20 at 02:42 PM.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 09-24-20, 05:35 PM
hokiefyd 

Ooh, that looks pretty. Yeah, in dry conditions, all that stone dust can really kick up and coat your stuff.

Thanks for the trail report. I need to get back out there.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 09-30-20, 03:18 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9531 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Well, not today, but over the last week and a half I decided to strip the chains on our two Sirrus 4.0s, and wax them with a combo of paraffin and PTFE. After the first try, we went for a 15 mile ride Saturday, and our chains were so noisy we sounded like the Clampets riding along. I kept telling my wife the sound would go away after a short while (everything I read said it would), but it never did.

When we got home, I took the chains off and started over. This time I heated the wax to at least 200F and kept the chains in the mix for about an hour stirring every 20 minutes or so. That seemed to work as last night's ride was silky smooth and whisper quite.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-05-20, 07:38 AM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts

Well, I have had a helluva time with my Scott Metrix 10. Took months to replace the frame, and to my surprise, they replaced my gorgeous pewter/sand colored frame with this monstrosity blue and neon yellow. Had to take the color matching saddle and handle bar grips off. I had a Fizik Antares R3 in the drawer so I threw that on in favor of the red-accented Fabric I had on before. I had some red grips on as well which didn't match so I put the stock grips on while I wait for my lizard skins to arrive. I am super bummed at the color change and quite honestly, part of me doesn't love the bike anymore and wants to sell it. The other part of me actually does like it and its growing on me lol. I am conflicted!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.