Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Niterider Questions.

Old 09-07-11, 12:50 PM
carpetman1

Bikes: trek 7000 and old Rampar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Niterider Questions.

How do the Niterider cordless units work? I'm guessing you still have a battery pack but it is not wired to the light???? If that is true, I can see the advantage. What are the disadvantages?If it works like I described, how close does the battery unit have to be to the light?
Old 09-07-11, 12:54 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I believe the "cordless" Niterider lights simply mean that the battery is built into the light, like how an iPhone has a battery but it's built into the phone. Like an iPhone you hook it up to a charger to charge the battery, you can't take it out.
Old 09-07-11, 01:28 PM
carpetman1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Paul Rivers. After I posted the questions, I found a telephone number for Niterider and called them. You are correct, it is one unit. He said only disadvantage he knew of was it was very slightly heavier, but being one piece made a very good flashlight.
Old 09-07-11, 04:16 PM
PhatBoyG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the MiNewt 350 and so far it's an amazing light. Very bright, three-levels of brightness, and charges up via USB. I would recommend it.
Old 09-07-11, 04:35 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Cygolights models are both lighter and have the ability to change out the battery cell if needed. It's a proprietary design (so you're not just popping in AA's from the c-store), but having this ability allows you to extend the time riding at night. However, I think that they recharge in the light body itself, so if you swapped batteries on the road, you'd be swapping them at home to charge them.
Old 09-08-11, 01:15 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have the 250 and 600 MiNewts.

I have been moderately happy with each one, but with a few caveats.

The 250 had to be sent in for warranty after 6 months. The LED was burning out, and they repaired it free of charge. The 600 shows low battery after about two hours on low setting. I've never completely run it out, but it's advertised to run 4:30 on low, and I can't imagine it would show low battery at 50% charge... who knows though.

For positives, they are both simple to use, very convenient, and mount well onto the front of my road bikes, or my mtb helmet.

Finally, to answer your question, there is no separate battery pack. It's all one proprietary unit, which is nice for convenience, but bad if something goes wrong.
Old 09-09-11, 10:15 AM
Big R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You also will have a somewhat shorter battery life/lumen in the all in one design. A separate battery pack should have a greater capacity for juice.
Old 09-09-11, 01:39 PM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Cygolights models are both lighter and have the ability to change out the battery cell if needed.
Are you saying that the Niterider battery pack cannot be replaced?
Old 09-09-11, 02:01 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hangtownmatt
Are you saying that the Niterider battery pack cannot be replaced?
They do not sell a replacement battery for it, and you would void your warranty if you opened the unit.

That said, I find it is just as bright as the Cygolight which I owned previously, and not having to mess with wires makes it totally worth it.
Old 09-10-11, 08:41 AM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicelord
They do not sell a replacement battery for it, and you would void your warranty if you opened the unit.

That said, I find it is just as bright as the Cygolight which I owned previously, and not having to mess with wires makes it totally worth it.
hhhmmm. That's too bad. So it's a throw away unit once the battery gives up the ghost? I checked with the local Batteries Plus store before I bought and they said they cannot rebuild Li-ion battery packs. Too explosive. So I figured I'd just have to buy a factory replacement. Oh well ,,, I guess I should never assume anything.
Old 09-10-11, 10:14 AM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
hhhmmm. That's too bad. So it's a throw away unit once the battery gives up the ghost? I checked with the local Batteries Plus store before I bought and they said they cannot rebuild Li-ion battery packs. Too explosive. So I figured I'd just have to buy a factory replacement. Oh well ,,, I guess I should never assume anything.
You can take it back to an authorized dealer, have it sent out to NR, and get it back with a new battery pack. It's not expensive IIRC about $40
Old 09-10-11, 11:26 PM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can take it back to an authorized dealer, have it sent out to NR, and get it back with a new battery pack. It's not expensive IIRC about $40
That's good. Thanks!
Old 10-22-12, 08:57 AM
carpetman1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's good. Thanks!
My Niterider minewt 350 either had a charger problem or battery problem. Called them and they said send it in. Very promptly I had, free of charge a working unit. Don't know if replaced or repaired--but great customer service. I also had their cherry bomb tailight and I broke the mounting bracket. Called them and they said we'll put a free replacement in the mail to you. I am very pleased with the lights--I find the 350 to give all the light I need. With their great customer service--you wont go wrong buying Niterider (I'm not a rep--just a pleased customer)
Old 10-22-12, 09:21 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Recently got Cygolite Expilion 700 here. As mentioned by others, very nice light, battery is an easily removable cartridge so you can carry a spare to double the burn time. Batteries are proprietary and only available from Cygolite. Some lights, like the Lezyne Super Drive XL, take easily replaceable and readily available 18650 Li-Ion batteries.

You can get a decent idea of the light intensity and distribution of the various lights here: https://www.modernbike.com/light-comp...singleshotplus

Last edited by Looigi; 10-22-12 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-24-12, 08:27 AM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
I have the nightrider 350 all in one light, it is approx. 2 years old. I know the battery life is 2 to 3 years, My question is after the battery dies can I get new batteries for it, Can it be opened and the batteries replaced? Ive. heard Interstate Battery Co. does this. Has anyone had this done? Does Nightrider Co. refurnish them?
Old 11-24-12, 10:04 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jsilvia
I have the nightrider 350 all in one light, it is approx. 2 years old. I know the battery life is 2 to 3 years, My question is after the battery dies can I get new batteries for it, Can it be opened and the batteries replaced? Ive. heard Interstate Battery Co. does this. Has anyone had this done? Does Nightrider Co. refurnish them?
I kinda like NiteRider both because they make some nice stuff and because they have a nice customer service attitude.

This has been copied directly from the FAQ section of their website:

"Our commitment to you is to provide repair service and have available replacement parts for your NiteRider lighting system for as long as you ride it and that can be forever."

"Most parts of our light systems are repairable and rarely does one need to purchase a new lamp. Please contact NiteRider Customer Support at 1-800-466-8366, ext 4, to arrange service."

Haven't seen anything like that posted on any eBay or DX site yet!
Old 08-23-20, 07:32 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

At the risk of dredging up an old topic, changing the battery on a NiteRider MiNewt is easy and cheap. And since MiNewts have been out of production for a while, warentee isn't an issue.The battery for the MiNewt 150 and 600 is easily replaceable. Looks like a AA battery on steroids. It's a 18650B 3400mAh 4.9A Protected Button Top Battery. Seems that there are different versions of the 18650 battery: plain, button top (like on an AA battery), and a protected button top battery which has a built-in fuse. Each battery is a different length so you need to get the correct one which is the protected button top. The original batteryon the 150 was only 2900mAh so I should get longer battery life than from the factory. Two batteries only cost $14 total including shipping.

Removing the 3 screws is easy if you have a long 2 mm Allen wrench. I have one for adjusting Shimano mechanical disk brake pads. It's a very easy job. One thing to remember is to fully charge the light before using it. The lithium batteries are shipped nearly fully discharged. I believe that the Lumina lights also have a replaceable battery as does the Fenix.
Likes For JerrySTL:
Old 08-27-20, 12:03 PM
shmily_dana

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had a MiNewt 600 for over 10 years. I don't have any battery issues. But one of our dogs bite the rubber charge port cover off. I want to replace the cover, but I have not found any parts for sale. Do you have any ideas? I thought about cutting the one for my MiNewt 250, so I have one for which ever light I take out.
Old 08-28-20, 08:25 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shmily_dana
I've had a MiNewt 600 for over 10 years. I don't have any battery issues. But one of our dogs bite the rubber charge port cover off. I want to replace the cover, but I have not found any parts for sale. Do you have any ideas? I thought about cutting the one for my MiNewt 250, so I have one for which ever light I take out.
Duct tape when it's raining. Or you might be able to form something out of RTV or another rubber product.
Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much. I frequently don't bother top plug mine in.
Old 08-28-20, 11:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I found their customer service good.... I have their Halogen sealed bulb/reflector lights I got in the 80's ..
Old 10-18-21, 05:01 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Lipo batteries are stored at 80% charge to improve their life.
always need charging before use

Good thread