Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help identifying this Lemond Ti frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-20, 05:10 PM
aenciso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I recently purchased and built up this Ti frame as a fun lightweight ride. Frame has an integrated headset and Lemond rear dropouts. Obviously non original fork and the previous owner added the vinyl decals. Thanks in advance for anything you experts may be able to determine.

Serial #3486U031 Ti1302T
Old 02-28-20, 05:25 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
External BB bearings suggest no earlier than 2003, when Shimano Hollowtech II was introduced. So my guess would be a Victoire or an Arrivee from '03 or '04 perhaps:

https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fis...2003lemond.pdf
Old 02-28-20, 09:33 PM
aenciso

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bargainguy
External BB bearings suggest no earlier than 2003, when Shimano Hollowtech II was introduced. So my guess would be a Victoire or an Arrivee from '03 or '04 perhaps:
Not sure I follow what you're saying about the bb. It could have come with a square taper bb for all I know. Thought the headset in the catalog you linked makes me think it is a Victoire with the decals removed.
Old 02-29-20, 05:59 AM
bargainguy

Your second pic shows external BB bearings. Assuming those are original to the frame, no earlier than '03, when Hollowtech II came into being.

Could the crank / BB have been replaced? Sure. This is on the assumption that they haven't.
Old 02-29-20, 10:20 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
The chainstay shape and that "lettering"/font of the engraved serial number matches my Victoire, so it's a pretty darn good bet that you're looking at a Trek-era Ti frame. I don't think there was any difference in the frame between the Victoire and Arrivee, so once the components are changed it's a wash between the two.
Old 02-29-20, 11:39 AM
Warren128

Bikes: 87 Raleigh 531C Team Replica, 96 Litespeed Classic, 01 Lemond Tete-De-Course, 99 Mongoose RX10.9, 03 Lemond Wayzata, 00 Litespeed Appalachian, 99 Bianchi XL Boron, 98 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 27 Posts
I don't think the Arrivee (2003/2004) uses integrated headsets, therefore this is Lemond's higher spec all-titanium frame. Their top end all-ti frame was the Tete-De-Course and Victoire, and the only differences were component groups, fork, and finish. They are great frames!

Here's a recent picture of my 2001

Last edited by Warren128; 02-29-20 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-01-20, 10:59 AM
aenciso

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
The chainstay shape and that "lettering"/font of the engraved serial number matches my Victoire, so it's a pretty darn good bet that you're looking at a Trek-era Ti frame. I don't think there was any difference in the frame between the Victoire and Arrivee, so once the components are changed it's a wash between the two.
That seems to make sense! Based on the catalog pics provided above, I'd say this is a post-Trek Victoire with the decals removed. The integrated headset and the corroboration of the bb serial 'font' I'd say it is a match. I also looked though bikeindex (a registry for bikes) and found a Victoire with a very similar serial. Is anyone aware of whom the Ti frames were commissioned through?
Old 03-01-20, 12:54 PM
bargainguy

The Trek / LeMond ti frames were made in Waterloo, WI under a team led by Gary Helfrich, formerly of Fat City, Ibis & Merlin. This was when Trek sold LeMond as a boutique line at much higher prices. Really a team of fabricators, as they made a lot of mixed-material frames, steel + carbon, ti + carbon, etc.

The frames were very expensive to produce. To offset costs, they spec'd a lot of bikes from the Bontrager parts bin, many which are just meh. This is where upgrades are possible.
Old 03-01-20, 01:15 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
It's a Trek era bike isn't it?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-01-20, 06:44 PM
aenciso

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
It's a Trek era bike isn't it?
Yes, my best guess is a 2003 Victoire, Trek era.
Old 03-01-20, 09:40 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
The Trek / LeMond ti frames were made in Waterloo, WI under a team led by Gary Helfrich, formerly of Fat City, Ibis & Merlin. This was when Trek sold LeMond as a boutique line at much higher prices. Really a team of fabricators, as they made a lot of mixed-material frames, steel + carbon, ti + carbon, etc.

The frames were very expensive to produce. To offset costs, they spec'd a lot of bikes from the Bontrager parts bin, many which are just meh. This is where upgrades are possible.
I'll echo @bargainguy, but I think Gary Helfrich was brought in as a consultant to help train the best welders from Trek. After that, I don't think he led a team. But yes, the Ti LeMonds of the Trek era were made in-house in Waterloo, WI, by a select team. They weren't commissioned through another company.

I'm running Dura-Ace 7700 on mine and it remains a delightful ride.