Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Got smoked..felt shame.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Got smoked..felt shame.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 05:04 PM
KColeman32

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by znomit
Have you thought about golf?

Think about golf.

You're too fat for cycling but probably too thin for golf.
Golfer says: Ouch... But, not many fat golfers walking and carrying their bag (as golfer/biker does).
Old 06-15-20, 05:06 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by johnd01
I can tell she is working hard to stay ahead of the old man.
No, she was trying to get away from the creep.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-15-20, 05:44 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by johnd01
There is something about motivation trying to keep up with a faster rider that makes a lot of difference. It is more than just drafting.

Do you immediately start tailgating all the people that pass you on the interstate?

This makes absolutely zero sense to me.

If you want to compete, do a hard group ride or race where everyone else wants to do the same. Jumping after random strangers who have nothing to do with you is so asinine in so many ways.
Old 06-15-20, 05:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Blackbird, not space shuttle.
I grew up near Beale so we'd see them all the time. You'd think you'd get used to them, but everytime one went over you'd stop and stare.
Old 06-15-20, 05:50 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
This happens in all facets of life. At least for me.

Back when I was a charter and corporate pilot, no matter how big or fast the airplane was I flew into a little podunk airstrip, someone else in a bigger faster airplane would soon pull up on the ramp next to me. Similar things too after getting on with the airlines.
Originally Posted by Random11
I feel your pain. (I fly a Cessna 172.)
Too bad you didn't fly the SR-71.
Old 06-15-20, 06:52 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Having a lung condition I just yell back see ya at the top. But I am going to be getting one of those hill topper wheels.... They who be smiling all the way up the hills.... LOL Besides, I have the cookies.
Old 06-15-20, 06:56 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I grew up near Beale so we'd see them all the time. You'd think you'd get used to them, but everytime one went over you'd stop and stare.
I bet. I've only seen 'em in museums and they're worth staring at when sitting still.
Old 06-15-20, 07:01 PM
Eiko

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
You guys obviously are referring to this and know the story but here's the link if anyone else is interested: https://oppositelock.kinja.com/favor...ory-1079127041
Likes For Eiko:
Old 06-15-20, 07:06 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Eiko
You guys obviously are referring to this and know the story but here's the link if anyone else is interested: https://oppositelock.kinja.com/favor...ory-1079127041
That was a fantastic read.
Old 06-15-20, 07:42 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Too bad you didn't fly the SR-71.
SR-71 pilots don't get to park next to slower planes. Then again, neither do I.
Old 06-15-20, 09:59 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Blackbird, not space shuttle.
Oh, you're right, that was the Blackbird.

The space shuttle story I was thinking of was a phone in to Car Talk.

Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-15-20, 10:58 PM
oldbear63

Bikes: Fuji road bike, Trek mountain bike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I realized that I have an important purpose in life: I am someone to pass.

It is my place in the scheme of things, my raison d'etre, my function.

The old guy you can beat.... just remember that I am 65 and most of you are not.
Likes For oldbear63:
Old 06-16-20, 07:33 AM
bfaIllini

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Roubaix, Infinity seat

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Living in Boulder CO it happens regularly and often. Just shake my head, smile and pedal on as I get passed by younger, smaller, older and larger riders, often with backpacks, flat shoes and small cassettes. Actually keeps me motivated
Old 06-16-20, 07:57 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
That wasn’t shame you felt. It was lactic acid. Make friends with it and you’ll be a beast.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 06-16-20, 10:33 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Do you immediately start tailgating all the people that pass you on the interstate?

This makes absolutely zero sense to me.

If you want to compete, do a hard group ride or race where everyone else wants to do the same. Jumping after random strangers who have nothing to do with you is so asinine in so many ways.
I don't object to people jumping on my wheel, and I've jumped on a fair amount of wheels myself. In either case I'm usually working much harder than I normally would alone and that benefits my training. Never had anyone tell me that they were bothered by this; instead I've ended up having a lot of cool conversations this way. Overall, positive experiences.
Old 06-16-20, 01:45 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
I don't object to people jumping on my wheel, and I've jumped on a fair amount of wheels myself. In either case I'm usually working much harder than I normally would alone and that benefits my training. Never had anyone tell me that they were bothered by this; instead I've ended up having a lot of cool conversations this way. Overall, positive experiences.
Benefits your training? Clearly you aren't "training" if the only time you go hard is when some completely random stranger passes you.

Again, this is terrible etiquette.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 06-16-20, 02:17 PM
AudioSQ

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I only worry about trying to do better than my identical twin brother. Most of the rest are better than me and I'm ok with that.
Old 06-16-20, 03:59 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
is "Johnny the Wad" taken as a username yet?
Old 06-16-20, 06:46 PM
upthywazzoo 

Benefits your training? Clearly you aren't "training" if the only time you go hard is when some completely random stranger passes you.

Again, this is terrible etiquette.
Hah, this is clearly a sore spot for you. I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.
Old 06-16-20, 08:00 PM
tobey

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Agree. When I do get passed I'll often try to start up a conversation (pre-Covid) and would sometimes casually mention that I will be 70 next year.
Almost every time they seemed surprised and it turns the table a bit. Most remark they hope to just be riding when they turn 70 and we'd have a nice conversation. Of course with COVID that doesn't happen anymore!
Old 06-16-20, 08:38 PM
rubiksoval

Hah, this is clearly a sore spot for you. I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.
No, not really.

But I've seen enough horrendous bike handling in groups of actual experienced riders who know people are on their wheels that I absolutely don't think it's anything random people out for a stroll should engage in. That you think it's perfectly acceptable is bizarre, but perhaps you can't jump on the wheel of people that would care, anyway.
Old 06-16-20, 10:02 PM
upthywazzoo 

No, not really.

That you think it's perfectly acceptable is bizarre, but perhaps you can't jump on the wheel of people that would care, anyway.
​​​​
You really do have a taste for these snarky little putdowns, lol. They're not necessary to this dialogue and just make you seem insufferable, which I'm sure you aren't.

I think context matters here. On an open road with few riders, sure--I can see the need for asking the question. I tend to ride on relatively populated/popular roads in the city where there's a bike lane wide enough for one rider. So, I find myself in front of or behind people very often. I would put forward that given the road conditions, it would be a reasonable expectation that drafting is going to happen at some point during the ride.

I see myself as being a pretty social rider and will always talk to people around me. I understand that not everyone is like me or sees random conversation or grouping up as a desirable thing. But if I come up behind someone and say hi, I really don't consider that to be a huge affront to the person ahead. You would be perfectly within your rights to tell me to go away and I would respect that. But this has never happened to me once. And I've never told someone to stop wheel-sucking either. So again--only positive experiences from drafting/getting drafted. Maybe cyclists here are just naturally chatty 😀
Likes For upthywazzoo:
Old 06-17-20, 01:53 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I have found that the type of people who are able to draft you REALLY close (ie, paceline/racing type of drafting) generally know enough to ask before jumping on. Pretty much every stranger who has grabbed my wheel has drafted me at enough of a distance to not bother me at all.
Old 06-17-20, 06:17 AM
rubiksoval

You really do have a taste for these snarky little putdowns, lol. They're not necessary to this dialogue and just make you seem insufferable, which I'm sure you aren't.

I think context matters here. On an open road with few riders, sure--I can see the need for asking the question. I tend to ride on relatively populated/popular roads in the city where there's a bike lane wide enough for one rider. So, I find myself in front of or behind people very often. I would put forward that given the road conditions, it would be a reasonable expectation that drafting is going to happen at some point during the ride.

I see myself as being a pretty social rider and will always talk to people around me. I understand that not everyone is like me or sees random conversation or grouping up as a desirable thing. But if I come up behind someone and say hi, I really don't consider that to be a huge affront to the person ahead. You would be perfectly within your rights to tell me to go away and I would respect that. But this has never happened to me once. And I've never told someone to stop wheel-sucking either. So again--only positive experiences from drafting/getting drafted. Maybe cyclists here are just naturally chatty 😀
Context always matters, and as such, the context in which I initially replied to you was your assertion that jumping on random people's wheels that passed you benefited your training because you go harder. That's the context.

At the end of the day, you're going to do whatever. My hope is that there is a clear understanding that while you may find such behavior acceptable, many others don't, and that, in general, despite your own personal anecdotes, this is not proper etiquette/behavior. One, for safety concerns for the person you're riding behind, two, for the need for them to now be concerned about your own safety (swerving away from potholes or debris last second, something very commonly done solo, is quite dangerous when not), and three, imposing yourself into their space/activity.

Again, there are meet ups, group rides, and races for those that need to ride with others for "training" or "motivation" or "competition".

If you're cruising to the coffee shop chatting up every person you see at 12 mph, then that's not the issue here. But that wasn't the context of your initial post, nor is it the context of this thread.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 06-17-20 at 06:45 AM.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 06-17-20, 10:18 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Oh, you're right, that was the Blackbird.

The space shuttle story I was thinking of was a phone in to Car Talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAqzM4ptm8
Wow - hearing Tommy and Ray is bringing tears to my eyes - and a great call also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.