Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Got smoked..felt shame.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Got smoked..felt shame.

Old 06-21-20, 02:17 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Do you immediately start tailgating all the people that pass you on the interstate?

This makes absolutely zero sense to me.

If you want to compete, do a hard group ride or race where everyone else wants to do the same. Jumping after random strangers who have nothing to do with you is so asinine in so many ways.
please if you can articulate the many ways that you speak of.
🤠
Old 06-21-20, 05:31 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
please if you can articulate the many ways that you speak of.
🤠
Read the thread.
Old 06-21-20, 08:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
I guess if you do something once and write about it in a thread, then you must do it every time the opportunity happens. And of course we must assume that the other cyclist was annoyed and traumatized by the experience. <grin><sarcasm>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-28-20, 10:52 PM
johnd01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Context always matters, and as such, the context in which I initially replied to you was your assertion that jumping on random people's wheels that passed you benefited your training because you go harder. That's the context.

At the end of the day, you're going to do whatever. My hope is that there is a clear understanding that while you may find such behavior acceptable, many others don't, and that, in general, despite your own personal anecdotes, this is not proper etiquette/behavior. One, for safety concerns for the person you're riding behind, two, for the need for them to now be concerned about your own safety (swerving away from potholes or debris last second, something very commonly done solo, is quite dangerous when not), and three, imposing yourself into their space/activity.

Again, there are meet ups, group rides, and races for those that need to ride with others for "training" or "motivation" or "competition".

If you're cruising to the coffee shop chatting up every person you see at 12 mph, then that's not the issue here. But that wasn't the context of your initial post, nor is it the context of this thread.
The American River Trail is a high volume trail. Anyone who does not want to play can slow down and not play. Anyone who competes is in it for the same reason. They are working on their speed. For years the only people I passed were women with small children.

There was a time that I was going flat out, and I hear this female voice say "on your right", She was in her teens riding a mountain bike with big knobby tires on the dirt shoulder. There was no way for me to go any faster than I was going.

Another time I met a young woman down in her drops flying. A hundred yards later, I went around a corner, and two college-age guys were coasting to a stop. They looked beat and could hardly talk between breaths. One says to the other "I hate it when that happens" and the other guy replied, "It could have been worse, she could have had a kid on the back".

When I jump on the back of a group of riders I back off and leat the lead rider drop into the last position when they switch out. If I can keep up for 5 miles I think I am doing good.
Old 06-29-20, 05:58 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by johnd01
The American River Trail is a high volume trail. Anyone who does not want to play can slow down and not play. Anyone who competes is in it for the same reason. They are working on their speed. For years the only people I passed were women with small children.
There is *so* much wrong in these few sentences. Yikes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-29-20, 06:21 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
So much no.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 06-29-20, 09:56 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,964 Times in 4,448 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbear63
I realized that I have an important purpose in life: I am someone to pass.

It is my place in the scheme of things, my raison d'etre, my function.

The old guy you can beat.... just remember that I am 65 and most of you are not.
Like the wounded wildebeest, the one outside the safety of the herd. For the last several years I have become the target of new riders who join our "A" rides. I don't drop out or quit but also don't always stay with the lead group. It seems new wannabe hot-shots see me as the first conquest when working their way up the hierarchy. I'm 66..
Likes For big john:
Old 06-29-20, 10:02 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,964 Times in 4,448 Posts
When I jump on the back of a group of riders I back off and leat the lead rider drop into the last position when they switch out. If I can keep up for 5 miles I think I am doing good.
If you encounter a group you have no idea of their skills and don't know if you can trust them. Likewise they don't know you. The bike paths can be very dangerous alone and worse if you mix in with strangers.
We've all seen riders who are very strong commit bonehead moves and cause others to be injured.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-29-20, 11:06 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

There was a time that I was going flat out, and I hear this female voice say "on your right", She was in her teens riding a mountain bike with big knobby tires on the dirt shoulder. There was no way for me to go any faster than I was going.

Another time I met a young woman down in her drops flying. A hundred yards later, I went around a corner, and two college-age guys were coasting to a stop. They looked beat and could hardly talk between breaths. One says to the other "I hate it when that happens" and the other guy replied, "It could have been worse, she could have had a kid on the back".

As a frequent user of the ARBT, all I can say is: NO NO NO NO NO
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-13-20, 09:38 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Sounds like it'd be safer to just go out on the road than be a muppet on a mess like that with folks doing intervals AND kids running round.

Also, if you're going to draft in that situation (not a good idea) do your share and take a pull.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-13-20, 12:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by himespau
Sounds like it'd be safer to just go out on the road than be a muppet on a mess like that with folks doing intervals AND kids running round.

Also, if you're going to draft in that situation (not a good idea) do your share and take a pull.
This is the reason I have been avoiding certain stretches of the ARBT.
Old 07-16-20, 10:59 AM
johnd01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by himespau

Actually, it is. I read an article that quoted statistics, and it is safer to ride in a marked bike lane on a busy street than to ride the ARBT. People will write something on the trail, and the ranges will come along and paint it out with black paint. There is one curve where they painted most of the way around it and while I was waiting for the ambulance to come another rider told of sliding out on this same corner in the rain. The injured rider thought his wife would be upset with him because this is the second time he had fallen and broken his leg. When she got there, she ask him "If you had a car accident, would you quit driving your car?" That section was slick for two years. Other places when chalk is used to write on the trail the paint does not stick to the chalk, so the words are outlined by the paint that is left long after the chalk is gone.

On the bike trail, you get a lot of "civilians" who do not think about the trail as a busy road. They walk with their backs to the bikes. I like to think I would rather see the bike before it hit me. They are just as likely to step out in front of an oncoming bike as not. That does not count horses, ratel snakes, turkeys, skunks, squirrels, rabbits, and dear. I have never seen a fox on the trail, but I have seen them off in the brush. Squirrels are the worst, they are squirrely, you cannot tell which way they will go. I have had a squeal run threw my font aerospok wheel, I have hit a skunk, I have been with two friends when hit a skunk. One of my friends hit a rabbet that was at least 2 feet off the ground. The worst one was when I was following a friend who was on a trike, and she saw a big snake all the way across her lain, she hit the breaks and jackknife her trike 90 degrees with her back wheel swinging in front of me. My brother was trying to take a picture from behind us. We ended up colliding off the right side of the trail.
It can be scary on a trike passing a horse who is afraid of trikes. You do not know until the horse spooks.
Twice I have been riding at night and come upon couples laying in the bike lane on the warm asphalt.
There are a lot of walkers and joggers that know what they are doing as well.
Old 07-16-20, 12:46 PM
caloso

I've hit squirrels, rabbits, and a turkey. And I've had to bunnyhop snakes that were sunning themselves in the middle of the path.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-17-20, 11:06 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I remember a few years ago; I rode from Toronto Canada to Cambridge Canada early one morning to take part in the Cambridge Tour de Grand recreational ride. I opted to do the 100 kilometres route because I didn't think I was up to riding another 160 kilometres that day. When I got back to the start area I was slowing down a fair bit and lightly spinning. Some dude zipped by me and yelled that I was pretty slow. I thought that I'd like to see him after a couple hundred kilometres.

I don't like strangers latching onto my wheel closeup and I'll slow down or 'shake and break' to throw them off my wheel. A stranger riding your wheel is a hazard to you.

Cheers